TESTERS WANTED! ×

What sets Dustin Johnson apart from every other golfer in terms of being ranked overall number 1?

Shizz

Serious question,

As a golfer, what separates Dustin Johnson from every other golfer in term of being ranked number one overall. Obviously the leaderboard‘s determine the ranks, but I’m curious what part of his game sets him apart from everyone?

🤙

shizz

I don't think there is any individual part of his game is better than any other golfer.   World ranking is based on performance in tournaments against and more points are awarded the stronger the field.     He is simply playing the best overall golf right now and tomorrow someone else could be playing the best golf.  That said people attribute his rise to number one to his improved wedge play.   I would say his putting is the big question mark.      But you can't really look simply at statistics because that would show you that Bryson is the best player in golf (based on 2021 stats)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The gunslinger walk.  Part Wayne, part Eastwood, part Brynner... it's the x-factor 😆.

Gunslinger GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

12 hours ago, Shizz said:

Serious question,

As a golfer, what separates Dustin Johnson from every other golfer in term of being ranked number one overall. Obviously the leaderboard‘s determine the ranks, but I’m curious what part of his game sets him apart from everyone?

🤙

shizz

I think part of it is that he is long and lean, so he has the power but she can swing that swing day in and day out and not get injured.  His power is so effortless.  Many other golfers have to get in the gym and bulk up to do what DJ's natural talents allow him to do.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

16 hours ago, Shizz said:

Serious question,

🤙

shizz

Consistency. It's why he's pegged a win every year on tour since 2008 - placing him T3 with Tiger and behind Arnie and Jack for the stat. You don't have to win every tournament or be the best at any particular skill set to achieve and maintain #1 in the world. However, you do need to rack up top-10's and nab a win here & there. DJ's done that with ease, leading the stat in three seasons and notching a (pun intended) top-10 in five more since '08.

DJ has a load of natural athleticism due (in no small way) to his build. As noted before, this allows him to get more out with less effort than other tour pros. There are only a small number of guys who have a similar build. The two that come to mind are Tony Finau and Cam Champ. However, they clearly have some holes in their games that need cleaning up which is why we haven't seen better results from them.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Natural freakish talent, if Tiger had his body he would have won 25 majors  

Hard work

the Great One is his mental coach  

he quit the nose candy, we assume  

throw it all together and he’s the most consistent player year after year  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

• 1 month later...

His consistency on skipping the olympics for total BS reasons. Just say you need money to show up. Like he did for the BoneSaw Open or whatever when he took the Saudi MBS money. Concerns over Zika virus in 2016? Give me an absolute break. I want to like this guy but he can't get himself over for the olympics but would probably go film a Taylor Made ad on the moon if they paid him $5M? Yo, how much money do you need?

Gotta make sure you are fresh for the start of the FEDEX CUP PLAYOFFS (TM) which is literally played in an office park in Memphis. Lol. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Not many PGAers play in Olympics, new, not a big deal, not like Majors or FedEx $15M. Very real health concern in 2016 and 2021, why risk it, no reward plus leave it for real amateurs which is what the Olympics is all about, should not have pro athletes (yeah I know my if not all Russia athletes are in essence pro since they don't have a job, just train).

Sure hope no Premiere Golf League (PGL) or Super Golf League (SGL) ever come about charging very high rates for pay per view, it will ruin golf, no more Richard Bland's or Will Zalatoris or Wilco N. to cheer for in those leagues, not as exciting to no have the underdog lead, contend or win.

Dustin is a great golfer and guy very laid back. He will do well in The Open but Rahm or Brooks or Rory or Phil will win it and Louie O. will be second again like he has been for many majors.

Can we also point out the obvious that he shows up to the course like he doesnt really care, is married to Wayne Gretzky's daughter and oh, btw, she is an absolutely dime.  I mean, how we was ever world #1 with all those distractions off the course is a marvel, IMO.  If all he ever did was hang out and drink beer with his FIL and hang out by the pool with his wife, I mean, I wouldnt blame him.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

His consistency on skipping the olympics for total BS reasons. Just say you need money to show up. Like he did for the BoneSaw Open or whatever when he took the Saudi MBS money. Concerns over Zika virus in 2016? Give me an absolute break. I want to like this guy but he can't get himself over for the olympics but would probably go film a Taylor Made ad on the moon if they paid him $5M? Yo, how much money do you need?

Gotta make sure you are fresh for the start of the FEDEX CUP PLAYOFFS (TM) which is literally played in an office park in Memphis. Lol. 

i wouldn’t go to the olympics if i were him, either. why should he? 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

On 5/2/2021 at 1:40 AM, Shizz said:

Serious question,

🤙

shizz

When he is on, he is one of the best drivers in the game, with length and control. He also is strong with his irons and became much improved with his wedge game. He also has an ability to stay calm and collected.

3 hours ago, vandyland said:

Agree. I enjoy rooting for Americans who are proud to represent the U.S.

I mean, I don't want guys there that don't want to be there but ultimately I just question not wanting to be there. 

Not many PGAers play in Olympics, new, not a big deal, not like Majors or FedEx $15M. Very real health concern in 2016 and 2021, why risk it, no reward plus leave it for real amateurs which is what the Olympics is all about, should not have pro athletes (yeah I know my if not all Russia athletes are in essence pro since they don't have a job, just train).

I can remember the top 3 from the 2016 Olympics. Not entirely sure I can even name the last 3 FedEx cup champions and that is 10000% a cash grab for guys who are already super rich. I would say whatever "health concerns" DJ has he easily put them aside to go to Saudi Arabia in February of this year. Now we have a vaccine and he's worried about travelling? GTFO. You can't be serious. The REAL reason is he was paid an appearance fee to go to SA and there was tournament money to win. And, this point can not be noted enough, the money was coming from some unscrupulous people. Say what you want about Bryson who I find very annoying and also money hungry but he at least is excited to go play in the Olympics (will he complain the whole time on the golf course, who can say?).

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

DJ worked on his wedge game which took him from being good to really good. If he ever figures out putting he will be even better

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, vandyland said:

I mean, I don't want guys there that don't want to be there but ultimately I just question not wanting to be there. 

I can remember the top 3 from the 2016 Olympics. Not entirely sure I can even name the last 3 FedEx cup champions and that is 10000% a cash grab for guys who are already super rich. I would say whatever "health concerns" DJ has he easily put them aside to go to Saudi Arabia in February of this year. Now we have a vaccine and he's worried about travelling? GTFO. You can't be serious. The REAL reason is he was paid an appearance fee to go to SA and there was tournament money to win. And, this point can not be noted enough, the money was coming from some unscrupulous people. Say what you want about Bryson who I find very annoying and also money hungry but he at least is excited to go play in the Olympics (will he complain the whole time on the golf course, who can say?).

Olympics Golf is not a big deal as it is mostly made up of amateurs from most countries (which it should be as that is what the Olympics are all about) so it is no competition for the PGA golfers and why no one (except you) cares about it (media, manufacturers, golfers etc.).

Current PGA golfers are all in it for the money (not so for the the old GOATs like Palmer, Nicholas, Player, Bobby Jones why he remained an amateur) so with big Major like the Open (British) and biggest money all season long Fed EX Cup with $15M as worth much as 7 majors or 15 PGA tour events not to mention life threatening diseases and pandemics (the vaccine does not stop it 100% many fully vaccinated are still dying around the world of course only 1-2% vs unvaccinated people but you still get it and pass it around just less of a chance of dying or getting in the ICU) why take a chance for no money and little to no fame or competition?

Other PGA golfers (except Rory) are only in the Olympics to boost their marketing so they boost their money for endorsements, not doing it for their country. It costs them money to go to the Olympics, they don't make any money, again which is how it should be as it is for amateurs, it is a shame the US sends NBA players to it, not the intent, no other sport has professional athletes except golf, poor excuse to do it just because of Russia, only allowed because of the stupid Olympics politics crooked BS that ruin the games.

Actually Bryson is a very intelligent and well behaved pro, who works harder than any golfer, actually like him more than Brooks who is basically just a poor sport bully now getting fans to mock Bryson so he does poor well it backfired on Brooks. Brooks is afraid of Bryson. I still like them both and like watching them and cheer for them.

VandyLand you are correct about the blood money in Saudi golf but what about US blood money for getting into middle east wars just for oil interests, not for human rights. Politics is rarely for human good, mostly just for self interest of the leaders and the 1%. Chill out VL.

Edited by Nassau

16 minutes ago, Nassau said:

Olympics Golf is not a big deal as it is mostly made up of amateurs from most countries (which it should be as that is what the Olympics are all about) so it is no competition for the PGA golfers and why no one (except you) cares about it (media, manufacturers, golfers etc.).

Olympic golf is 60 professional golfers with a country being able to have up to 4 golfers if all 4 are in the top 15 and then it’s a max of 2. It’s definitely not just a cake walk for them either 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

19 minutes ago, Nassau said:

Other PGA golfers (except Rory) are only in the Olympics to boost their marketing so they boost their money for endorsements, not doing it for their country. It costs them money to go to the Olympics, they don't make any money, again which is how it should be as it is for amateurs, it is a shame the US sends NBA players to it, not the intent, no other sport has professional athletes except golf, poor excuse to do it just because of Russia, only allowed because of the stupid Olympics politics crooked BS that ruin the games.

Rory had a huge personal struggle about what country he was going to represent so it’s not just about boosting personal brand. Also go back to 2016 and see the pride many had in representing their country and how some supported other athletes during the Olympics 

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Rory had a huge personal struggle about what country he was going to represent so it’s not just about boosting personal brand. Also go back to 2016 and see the pride many had in representing their country and how some supported other athletes during the Olympics 

IMO no one cares about Olympic golf, it gets zero media and zero marketing attention and average golfers could care less, we care about majors and PGA (US and Europe) tour events. Good for Rory, I like him. The Ryder Cup matters way more than the Olympics but basically no one except the PGA players really cares about the RC.

Golf is an individual sport not really a team or country sport, just like tennis, bowling, etc..

RB and VL it is nice it means so much to you, have fun watching it.

Hope Matsuyama wins it will be great for his country, the host country and all of Asia and Asians all over the world will celebrate big time as for the rest of the world unlikely it matters.

Would be cool if Richard Bland is int it and wins, now many golfers would get behind that, big underdog story.

Edited by Nassau
typo

Apologies to the OP we are off topic, it was about DJ being #1. DJ is a great golfer, like him a lot.

DJ and Bubba are good ole boys, who if born earlier would be running shine and running from the Revenurs. Really like DJ and BW cool to see them being on top in a tournament or major or the Fed EX cup.

10 hours ago, Nassau said:

IMO no one cares about Olympic golf, it gets zero media and zero marketing attention and average golfers could care less, we care about majors and PGA (US and Europe) tour events. Good for Rory, I like him. The Ryder Cup matters way more than the Olympics but basically no one except the PGA players really cares about the RC.

Golf is an individual sport not really a team or country sport, just like tennis, bowling, etc..

RB and VL it is nice it means so much to you, have fun watching it.

Hope Matsuyama wins it will be great for his country, the host country and all of Asia and Asians all over the world will celebrate big time as for the rest of the world unlikely it matters.

Would be cool if Richard Bland is int it and wins, now many golfers would get behind that, big underdog story.

You are entitled to your opinion but like your earlier comments it’s just not right

The below is just the US. Imagine how many Chinese watched Inbee Park win while hoping Feng would get gold. How many Koreans watched Inbee win. On the mens side how many English and UK fans watched Justin win. How many fans around the world were watching the one golfer from their country represent them.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/1/5/nbc-golf-viewership-up-27-in-16-golf-channel-up-8.html

Olympics
o   For the first time in more than 100 years, golf returned to the Olympics, and 24.5 million unique viewers watched coverage across Golf Channel and NBC, including 21 million unique viewers who watched the men’s competition on Golf Channel and NBC and 5.5 million unique viewers who watched the women’s competition on Golf Channel.
o   Golf Channel and NBC both aired the conclusion of the men’s competition and this was the second highest-rated 90 minutes of golf in 2016, only behind the Masters, with a combined 5.6 U.S. household rating and 8.578 million average viewers.

Clarification, yes I meant North America (specifically US and Canada) as that is what we follow the most (sine we live here). Thought when I said Asians (geographical region not a country or race) from around the world would be interested if Matsuyama won was a hint. (Yeah I know he is from Japan).

Heck even MGS, many of us biggest complaint is all they do is focus on US even though they are very big in Canada, we can't (or rarely are allowed to ) become testers or enter giveaways or contests

On 7/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Olympic golf is 60 professional golfers with a country being able to have up to 4 golfers if all 4 are in the top 15 and then it’s a max of 2. It’s definitely not just a cake walk for them either 

60 is no big deal. Most events have 150+. Again reason why it is not so interesting because it does not have the top golfers or the most followed golfers (US and Canada).

Some people do like it, great for them, most North Americans don't as it is no big deal and against the spirit of the Olympics (never should have pro in it eg. no NBAers  or NHLers, only do that because Russia winning those events so much until we put our pros in).

There are many pro events no need to put ringers in the Olympics. You don't see PGA players in the US amateur open so why should they be in the Olympics? You don't see MLB players in Little League.

6 minutes ago, Nassau said:

Clarification, yes I meant North America (specifically US and Canada) as that is what we follow the most (since we live here). Thought when I said Asians (geographical region not a country or race) from around the world would be interested if Matsuyama won was a hint. (Yeah I know he is from Japan).

Heck even MGS, many of us biggest complaint is all they do is focus on US even though they are very big in Canada, we can't (or rarely are allowed to ) become testers or enter giveaways or contests

1 hour ago, Nassau said:

60 is no big deal. Most events have 150+. Again reason why it is not so interesting because it does not have the top golfers or the most followed golfers (US and Canada).

The number is irrelevant. You said it was made up of mostly amateurs. Which isn’t the. The world golf classic events are 64 field events and this is a similar type event.

just another erroneous take. 

He’s one of many good/great players - but he’s not always dominant so I’m not sure anything sets him apart from every other player? Obviously he’s long, his wedge play has improved substantially, his putting seems to come and go but never horrible. There are several legit contenders for #1 right now, as always, other than the Tiger era.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

On 7/3/2021 at 7:05 PM, Middler said:

He’s one of many good/great players - but he’s not always dominant so I’m not sure anything sets him apart from every other player? Obviously he’s long, his wedge play has improved substantially, his putting seems to come and go but never horrible. There are several legit contenders for #1 right now, as always, other than the Tiger era.

Well or the Nicklaus era, too. Some of us remember him. 

At least there are a number of hall of fame US type players post Tiger. That was not the case post Jack. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD