Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Long overdue WITB upgrade

I’m currently going through the bag and all 14 clubs are being considered 

Starting with the irons, I currently have Ping S57s in the bag 4 - PW.

The list of possible replacements atm reads: 

Muzuno MP20 HMB

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Apex/Apex Pro

Taylormade TP770

Ping i210

I am in my mid 50s, 5 handicap, and am looking for a players profile club with more forgiveness than my current gamers. Not particularly worried about more distance or workability. The S57s have been in the bag since they came out, so about 12 years. I’m hoping that what I choose now will have a similarly long time in the bag.

Are there any clubs I’ve missed off the list that I really should be considering?

Thanks

image.jpg

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

I'm impressed they have been in the bag that long thats awesome!
Maybe sub70? They have some great products and although I am a lefty and haven't tried any they have been reviewed really well here. Also ping will have the new i59 coming out sometime soon (July/August) so that would be one to keep an eye out for. 
Thanks for sharing

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

First off thank you--- Your post got me motivated to do a project I had put on the back shelf.  I have a set of S-56 heads pristine in a box. I got those things about 2 years ago or so. A bud of mine bought them for the shafts and I did a shaft switch and he gave me the heads. A couple of months ago I ended up with a set of XP-95 shafts but they did not fit due to the Pings being a 355 taper. Well I did some trading and ended up with a set of KBS C Taper in R flex. I like the way the S-56 set so after seeing your post I got motivated yesterday and put them together. If the weather cooperates I may hit them today. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am a little older but about the same handicap.  Last year was the first in 25 that I wasn't gaming Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged after picking up a set of JPX 900 Forged.  They have some forgiveness (my toe miss isn't losing as much distance) but I can still flight the ball when necessary.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

First off thank you--- Your post got me motivated to do a project I had put on the back shelf.  I have a set of S-56 heads pristine in a box. I got those things about 2 years ago or so. A bud of mine bought them for the shafts and I did a shaft switch and he gave me the heads. A couple of months ago I ended up with a set of XP-95 shafts but they did not fit due to the Pings being a 355 taper. Well I did some trading and ended up with a set of KBS C Taper in R flex. I like the way the S-56 set so after seeing your post I got motivated yesterday and put them together. If the weather cooperates I may hit them today. 

Glad to hear that Big Stu.

I, and I’m sure plenty on here, would love to see some pictures of those and hear how they go.

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I am a little older but about the same handicap.  Last year was the first in 25 that I wasn't gaming Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged after picking up a set of JPX 900 Forged.  They have some forgiveness (my toe miss isn't losing as much distance) but I can still flight the ball when necessary.  

Thanks Shapotomous 

I like the look of the JPX 921 Forged. As I too have a toe miss, I’ll add those to the list 👍🏼

On 5/3/2021 at 9:04 AM, Apolloshowl said:

I'm impressed they have been in the bag that long thats awesome!
Maybe sub70? They have some great products and although I am a lefty and haven't tried any they have been reviewed really well here. Also ping will have the new i59 coming out sometime soon (July/August) so that would be one to keep an eye out for. 
Thanks for sharing

Hi, thanks for your reply

I’m in England, I don’t think Sub70 have distribution here atm

I’ve been waiting for Ping to release the i210 replacement for about the last year. And I’d given up waiting. But the recent pictures of the i59 in Viktor Hovland’s bag did pique my interest 🤔

I am in two minds whether to wait or not. I do have a bag that’s pretty full of Ping (12 of 14 clubs) 😊

12 hours ago, pooley7 said:

Hi, thanks for your reply

I’m in England, I don’t think Sub70 have distribution here atm

I’ve been waiting for Ping to release the i210 replacement for about the last year. And I’d given up waiting. But the recent pictures of the i59 in Viktor Hovland’s bag did pique my interest 🤔

I am in two minds whether to wait or not. I do have a bag that’s pretty full of Ping (12 of 14 clubs) 😊

Sub70 did launch in Europe if you are interested, https://www.sub70europe.com/

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3