TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Overhaul 2021 - Let's get to work!

Day 3 in the books!  I felt like I made more progress today. The upright 'on plane' backswing with the arms in front of my chest feels engrained pretty well.  Now I'm working on setup and feeling like I am staying tall in the swing.  Looking at the swings on camera, it feels like I'm coming across the line on the downswing, but maybe that is just because I'm so used to coming way from the inside.  The plane from the ball to my shoulders (Hogan's famous plane of glass) does not appear to be shattered on the downswing, so maybe all is well.  I still get it back to the shaft plane at impact. 

Here is the video from today:

Edited by ChasingScratch

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Day 4 was more of the same.  Focusing on swinging more 'up' in the backswing and staying tall throughout the swing (especially the downswing).  

I could still go a bit more 'up' in the backswing with the arms, but it looks like it it is tracking the target line on the way back much better than before with my prior swing.  Here's the video:

WITB:

Day 5 in the books.

I feel like I am starting to understand why some instructors teach the trail hand forearm matching the spine angle on the backswing.  It keeps the hands in front of the chest for me and allows room in the downswing.

I was also able to play nine holes today.  This was the first time I'd hit balls outside since starting this overhaul.  Lots of what I predicted happened.  Higher trajectory than I am accustomed to with my irons with no distance lost.  I was also able to hit my 3 and 5 woods off the deck flush (had been an issue for me as of late).  I was able to play another nine, but only hit tee to green (did not putt).  One highlight was hitting a 540yd par 5 (into the wind) in two with driver then 5 wood.  Hit it to 18ft.

Wedges were nice and high and actually went farther than I normally play them.  Chipping was improved as well.  Driver was a tight cut for the most part.  Still need to play around with it though.  I did have a big pull miss at times.  I took some video from the nine holes to see what my "playing" swing looked like and where it differed from the garage where I can only hit 9iron.

My lead leg was doing some funky things during a few tee shots (one with an iron and one with driver) that caused the massive pulls.  Really funky and something that has never happened to me before.  But that is par for the course when you make massive swing changes.  I'll put that video together as soon as I can.

Overall, this has been a successful project thus far.  I had 7 pars, 1 birdie, and 1 triple bogey on that nine holes.  I also had a few other makeable birdie looks as well.  The course is under renovation so they are killing the greens.  Doesn't help the birdie looks...  The triple came from two really stupid decisions with strategy.  It happens.

Here is the video from today's garage work:

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

Took some video of the first outing (nine holes) with the swing changes.  Lots of positives and the ball flight was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.  Higher with irons and wedges and a tight cut.

I had a few loose swings.  Big miss is the double-cross pull hard left.  I just have to hold the release longer and it fades pretty much every time.

Here is the video:

WITB:

16 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Took some video of the first outing (nine holes) with the swing changes.  Lots of positives and the ball flight was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.  Higher with irons and wedges and a tight cut.

I had a few loose swings.  Big miss is the double-cross pull hard left.  I just have to hold the release longer and it fades pretty much every time.

Here is the video:

where did you play that they are making a members only course?

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

33 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

where did you play that they are making a members only course?

I’ll text you as to protect the identity of the goat track lol.

WITB:

Swing looks good .. very stress less round.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)

2 hours ago, MrBandit said:

Swing looks good .. very stress less round.

Thanks!  Like  I said, I had a few big pull misses, but that was expected.  Still need to iron things out more, but it was just good to see what the ball was doing. 

WITB:

6 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Thanks!  Like  I said, I had a few big pull misses, but that was expected.  Still need to iron things out more, but it was just good to see what the ball was doing. 

The key is to play when it matters and see if you stay with this new swing (if muscle memory is set) or revert back to the old one.  Under pressure we tent to fall back what is natural to us, so changes to swing , chipping, putting may take a little longer to stay. 
Hopefully you can play more and put some meaningful  rounds together, seen this improvement root into your new normal.

I resumed my weight lifting workouts this week.  I had taken last week off to focus on the swing change during that time.

So while I am spending less time on the swing this week, it is more about getting more and more comfortable with the changes.

I am still making minor tweaks in my feels/cues to see what gives me the most solid contact consistently.  I think I’m on to something (I’ll post more later).

WITB:

Video for my first few sessions this week.

Thoughts/focus for this week are twofold:

1) backswing cue - swing up the shaft line (video explains)

2) shorten backswing length

I was invited to play in a fundraiser golf tournament this Friday, so it will be another test of the changes!

WITB:

Hoping to play nine holes this afternoon and see how things are progressing.  Will report back if I get out.

WITB:

Played last night.  Hit some really good drives, some good irons, and some not so good drives and irons.  I think as the holes continued, some old habits crept in slowly. That is the nature swing changes.  Takes time to fully implement in play.  I will stay the course and keep engraining the changes.  I have no doubt that it is a better swing, I just need more reps/time outdoors sewing ball flight vs just net work indoors.  If only I had a GC Quad….

WITB:

Definitely could use a swing overhaul.  Lately the shanks have been creeping up on me and it is very frustrating, tried to stay on my heel during the swing, tried the two ball drill to no avail, tried half swings...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! 😭😭😭

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

1 hour ago, 808nation said:

Definitely could use a swing overhaul.  Lately the shanks have been creeping up on me and it is very frustrating, tried to stay on my heel during the swing, tried the two ball drill to no avail, tried half swings...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! 😭😭😭

You tried intentionally hitting the toe of the club?  I know Adam Young teaches this with great success.

WITB:

10 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

You tried intentionally hitting the toe of the club?  I know Adam Young teaches this with great success.

I will look him up, thanks! I have not tried hitting on the toe of the club I'm not that talented 🤣 but have addressed the ball on the toe or even little further back and its shankaroo time.

WITB:

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

29 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

16 minutes ago, 808nation said:

I will look him up, thanks! I have not tried hitting on the toe of the club I'm not that talented 🤣 but have addressed the ball on the toe or even little further back and its shankaroo time.

It's a pretty good drill and if I may, I'll add a suggestion. I have the Divot Board and to do this drill I'll set up a ball toward the right side line and focus on the yellow ball mark as my target. One of the keys is, I'll still address the ball normally, but try to hit center on the yellow mark. You could also do this by spraying a dot of Dr Scholl's to the left of the ball to give you a focal point. 20210222_150040-01.jpeg.452e25093ff7e92432be7daf1621a75f.jpeg

I'd suggest starting out with half wedges to give yourself an idea of what you should be feeling and move up from there. 

Best of luck to you in ridding yourself of the horrible s word!

Edit: I forgot to add that I'm very much enjoying reading along as you work to improve @ChasingScratch. The content has been awesome so far. Best of luck to you as you work on your swing changes!

57 minutes ago, 808nation said:

you are that talented.  Adam's teachings deal with intent and what you need to do.   How about this,  if you addressed the ball with it in the middle of the face do you think you could swing and completely miss the ball and have the club pass outside the ball? How about a complete miss to the inside?   I am pretty sure you can,  now you just need to work on being able to control that distance and work on hitting heel, toe, and center.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, 808nation said:

You’re more talented that you believe you are.  Trust yourself and just practice impact with foot spray on the club face or masking tape.  Work to move impact towards the center or toe-biased.

WITB:

22 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's a pretty good drill and if I may, I'll add a suggestion. I have the Divot Board and to do this drill I'll set up a ball toward the right side line and focus on the yellow ball mark as my target. One of the keys is, I'll still address the ball normally, but try to hit center on the yellow mark. You could also do this by spraying a dot of Dr Scholl's to the left of the ball to give you a focal point. 20210222_150040-01.jpeg.452e25093ff7e92432be7daf1621a75f.jpeg

I'd suggest starting out with half wedges to give yourself an idea of what you should be feeling and move up from there. 

Best of luck to you in ridding yourself of the horrible s word!

Edit: I forgot to add that I'm very much enjoying reading along as you work to improve @ChasingScratch. The content has been awesome so far. Best of luck to you as you work on your swing changes!

Cool training aid, I'm gonna check it out now....thank you!!!

WITB:

On 5/12/2021 at 1:42 AM, ChasingScratch said:

Video for my first few sessions this week.

Thoughts/focus for this week are twofold:

1) backswing cue - swing up the shaft line (video explains)

2) shorten backswing length

I was invited to play in a fundraiser golf tournament this Friday, so it will be another test of the changes!

really like your backswing cue here. The way you explained it clicked in my head. When I'm playing my best golf I do the same thing. My bad habits/inside takeaway/flat+short backswing happen when I don't let my right arm off my side. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 hours ago, edingc said:

really like your backswing cue here. The way you explained it clicked in my head. When I'm playing my best golf I do the same thing. My bad habits/inside takeaway/flat+short backswing happen when I don't let my right arm off my side. 

Awesome!  I'm glad it helped/made sense.  I know this thread is documenting my own swing overhaul, but I obviously enjoy it even more if others get some (even small) benefit in their own game. 

WITB:

Week 2 recap:

Still feel like I need a tad bit more 'up' in the backswing (see swing compilation video below).  I also want to try and get a more free/full release through impact.  I feel like I have to hold onto it for fear of a hook, but I want to let it go.  May need to experiment with a slightly weaker lead hand grip to allow for a fuller release with a less closed clubface.  My grip tends to get closer to 3 or 3.5 lead hand knuckles showing.

WITB:

Beginning of Week 3 is off to a good start.  Focusing on a quiet lower body.  I tend to move too far off the ball in the backswing and push off way too hard in the downswing (too much lateral sway).  Thinking of the lower body as simply supporting the goal of swinging the clubhead is helping.  I'm also trying to really release the club through impact vs holding on.

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

5 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Beginning of Week 3 is off to a good start.  Focusing on a quiet lower body.  I tend to move too far off the ball in the backswing and push off way too hard in the downswing (too much lateral sway).  Thinking of the lower body as simply supporting the goal of swinging the clubhead is helping.  I'm also trying to really release the club through impact vs holding on.

Swing looks much better!! Now take it to the course.😜

23 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Swing looks much better!! Now take it to the course.😜

As soon as this freaking rain stops…..

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

15 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

As soon as this freaking rain stops…..

Its just a sprinkle outside.. Courses are open🏌️‍♂️, is not that serious. You can't hind in the garage forever..🤣

12 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Its just a sprinkle outside.. Courses are open🏌️‍♂️, is not that serious. You can't hind in the garage forever..🤣

That's loco fool. It's like Noah's flood out there.  I keep getting emails about courses being closed.  I don't want to play golf when I need a canoe to get to my ball. 🤣

Canoeing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

WITB:

Video for the middle of Week 3 below.

More work on letting the club release through impact.  Quiet lower body.  Trying to let the legs respond to the intention and serve to balance the body rather than consciously providing power.  I feel like it is starting to look better.  Less compensation needed and a more fluid action.

WITB: