Sensible way to calculate what tees I should be playing?

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm a member at a private club. I play there every week (I do play other courses too). So being north of 60 and having played the men's white tees at 6300 yards for years (hundreds of rounds) it got boring. Three years ago after an injury I moved up to the Sr. Tees. Golf was fun again. I got to hit different clubs than I was used to into greens.  But now that I am better physically I really have fun once in a while. I play a mixed bag. Red, white and blue tees. It makes the course different all the time. I can stretch a par 3 from 125 yards to 205 yards. A par 5 from 376 to 538 and a par 4 from 243 to 460 yards. 

If I am recording a round for handicap purposes its from the same tees. If I'm posting in "how did you play" its from the same tees. I'm not always stuck on a set tee box anymore when playing my home course. I just want to enjoy the round, have fun and enjoy the day and challenge myself when I feel like it and do it on a hole or holes that I choose.

Isn't  that what this really is about. Going out and having a good time playing golf.

That's definitely a great alternative. Playing a mixed set of tees. On some holes, we got overlapped tees (black/white or white/yellow).

Having 27 holes that range from 5567 yards for the short hitters (not going to say ladies lol) up to 7305 yards for the pros, certainly provides a great fit for all kinds of golfers.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I’m playing with my brother in law on Friday as long as the weather cooperates but I’ve just realized he will want to play for the whites which only plays to around 6100 yards. I typically play from the golf which is a little less than 6700. My course does offer a hybrid of gold and whites. Although the scorecard doesn’t indicate whether you play up or back like I’ve seen on some with arrows. I’ve attached a picture of the scorecard. I’ve never seen them put gold and white tees together on the tee boxes for the hybrid/combo tees everything has always been very separate. What I did notice though is that on the combo tees scorecard each length corresponds to either the white or gold tees, is that what we would follow for playing the combo?

9AE74E7C-2DCB-4F58-AE2A-DA2E3C59DF73.png

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

I’m playing with my brother in law on Friday as long as the weather cooperates but I’ve just realized he will want to play for the whites which only plays to around 6100 yards. I typically play from the golf which is a little less than 6700. My course does offer a hybrid of gold and whites. Although the scorecard doesn’t indicate whether you play up or back like I’ve seen on some with arrows. I’ve attached a picture of the scorecard. I’ve never seen them put gold and white tees together on the tee boxes for the hybrid/combo tees everything has always been very separate. What I did notice though is that on the combo tees scorecard each length corresponds to either the white or gold tees, is that what we would follow for playing the combo?

9AE74E7C-2DCB-4F58-AE2A-DA2E3C59DF73.png

You are correct. Look at the yardage on the combo line. Then look for the same yardage in the White or Gold and that's where you play from. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

23 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You are correct. Look at the yardage on the combo line. Then look for the same yardage in the White or Gold and that's where you play from. 

Awesome. Should make for some fun rounds playing with people who fall into that category vs the gold. It can be a real poke. Only bad problem is some of the shorter tees where you think you could get an advantage have hazards where you can only drive about 275. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

19 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Awesome. Should make for some fun rounds playing with people who fall into that category vs the gold. It can be a real poke. Only bad problem is some of the shorter tees where you think you could get an advantage have hazards where you can only drive about 275. 

I wish I could drive 275!

• Like 5

This is an issue at the course where I play the most, there are 2 18 hole courses.

the regular men’s tees (1 up from tips) are 6645 and 6585....both make all the par 5s unreachable in 2 for my whole group and most par 4s your hitting 5 irons or even hybrids for second shots just hoping to get close to the green, par 3s are ridiculous with only 1 par 3 on either course being less than 165 yards and the rest are 190+

The next set up are still over 6250 on each course but it’s better than 6600

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

31 minutes ago, TBT said:

This is an issue at the course where I play the most, there are 2 18 hole courses.

the regular men’s tees (1 up from tips) are 6645 and 6585....both make all the par 5s unreachable in 2 for my whole group and most par 4s your hitting 5 irons or even hybrids for second shots just hoping to get close to the green, par 3s are ridiculous with only 1 par 3 on either course being less than 165 yards and the rest are 190+

The next set up are still over 6250 on each course but it’s better than 6600

6250 is still a solid distance. My course is a Robert Trent Jones course and the tips are at 6705, regular men's white tees are 6280, and the senior tees are 5662. I would say just move up to 6250 as long as everyone agrees. Sometimes all it takes is being the first one to suggest it and everyone else will be in agreement.  Your out there to have fun and play golf, you don't need to get beat up in the process.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I just find I have more fun playing shorter so I think I backed into a calculation that would make sense to me and show that playing shorter isn't ridiculous for my skill level. It doesn't account for a wide open course where you are hitting driver off every tee versus a Harbour Town (which I am playing later this year) where you have to be more strategic and all the sudden a 370 yd hole gets a lot longer when you have to hit Hybrid off the tee to keep it in play. So even as someone who hits it consistently well through a round, I am eyeing the 5,827 gold tees (at Harbour Town) due to the fact that I don't want to feel forced into hitting driver a lot out there. My playing partners are saying that's crazy and seemingly want to go out and just get punched in the face by the course and play from the Blues 6,700 yds. We are all basically 4-7 HDCPs and I am actually longer off the tee than 2 of the guys. I might just end of playing the Golds by myself out of principle 🙂

Edited by vandyland
  • Like 3
45 minutes ago, vandyland said:

So even as someone who hits it consistently well through a round, I am eyeing the 5,827 gold tees (at Harbour Town) due to the fact that I don't want to feel forced into hitting driver a lot out there. My playing partners are saying that's crazy and seemingly want to go out and just get punched in the face by the course and play from the Blues 6,700 yds. We are all basically 4-7 HDCPs and I am actually longer off the tee than 2 of the guys. I might just end of playing the Golds by myself out of principle 🙂

Play what will give you most enjoyment. Lots of people think hitting driver and then wedge is "boring" on a par 4 or needing to hit less than driver off the tee as if they are not getting their money's worth. I have buddies who want to play 6500+ because they can hit driver far in the 15-25 handicap range and barely break 90 from 6000-6300. It's not enjoyable for me to go play 6700 and shoot 100. 

• Like 6

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

From a yardage standpoint I’m told I should be on Blue tees. But frankly at my home course I think it’s tons of fun to alternate tees and switch it up every other round. Keeps yardages fresh and especially when replaying the same course makes life more interesting... the answer every pro has given me is, “where do you have the most fun?”

• Like 4

Mike Thibideau
Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5
4-wood: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5 
4-hybrid: :taylormade-small: R15 21
Irons 5-P: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 46, 50, 54, 60
Shoes: :travis-mathew-1:MoneyMaker, Nike Roche G
Glove: Asher Golf
Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft, :callaway-small: Supersoft (conditions dependent)

I’m long enough to play the tips at my home course, but much prefer the whites (2nd tees)... it actually allows more decision making for me as I don’t have to hit driver, can hit into par 5s and I just generally enjoy it more...

ive played shorter tees and don’t enjoy the course as much... a couple big yardage swings makes good holes into mediocre holes for me...

im lucky to play the same course frequently, so it’s easy to try different tees and find the right balance.

If a system works for you, great, use it and hopefully you have fun and consistently pick the right tees. The guys playing from the tips don’t have a system and are going to play from the back regardless of what anyone tells them.

• Like 1

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:36 PM, ZenGolfer said:

am I hitting mid and long irons into the greens on par 4s all the time and on par 5s do I have any hope of making par?  If they answers are that Im constantly hitting long irons and havent got a prayer on par 5s, its time to move up.

This statement should be on  a 3' x 20' banner, hung over every first tee box. 

• Like 3

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

I think it is simple and obvious answer

Play the tees that:

1) Allow you to have the most fun

and

2) Do not negatively impact your pace of play.

• Like 3

CC5 sig.png

It is hard to understand why amateur golfers punish themselves by playing tees that are further back than they should.  I see it all the time. It is painful to be behind a group that is playing from the tips and watching them struggle and back up the whole course.

Our pro is constantly suggesting to people to move up, but often they balk at the idea.  His response is, “If you move up and find yourself making too many birdies and having too much fun, then move back.”  Rarely do people move back once they move forward a set of tees.

Our course has 5 sets of tees.  Our men’s group generally has people playing from the three most forward sets of tees depending on where their handicap is established from, their age and their ability.  On many courses the par 3s end up being the determining factor.

Our teaching pro has also suggested that if you can’t reach the 150 yard marker on your tee shot on the par 4s than you should consider moving up a set of tees and if you are consistently inside the 100 yard marker than maybe you should move back a set of tees. 

I have the length to play the back tees, but it isn’t very social to be the only guy in the group playing from them and having to hit first all the time.  I’m glad to move up to play with the group and when I do I hit the club off the tee that puts me where I would normally be for my second shot even if that means not hitting a driver all day.

I play golf to have fun and for the camaraderie.  It is already humbling enough without punishing yourself off the tee.

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

In my opinion, people need to play ready golf! You can put a foursome of guys on the ladies tees and it may take them 5 hours. I cannot stand it when golfers are playing pocket pool, standing next to the cart waiting on the other person to pick a club, check the yardage, hit their shot, wipe the club off then drive 20 yards to the left or right for the other guy to do the same.(Also, not fill a single divot)

Geez, how hard is it to walk over get your yardage, pick a club and be ready to hit your shot while the others are doing the same. I am not advocating speed golf, just play ready golf.

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

13 hours ago, GaDawg said:

In my opinion, people need to play ready golf! You can put a foursome of guys on the ladies tees and it may take them 5 hours. I cannot stand it when golfers are playing pocket pool, standing next to the cart waiting on the other person to pick a club, check the yardage, hit their shot, wipe the club off then drive 20 yards to the left or right for the other guy to do the same.(Also, not fill a single divot)

Geez, how hard is it to walk over get your yardage, pick a club and be ready to hit your shot while the others are doing the same. I am not advocating speed golf, just play ready golf.

GaDawg: You are SOOOOOOO right.  Oh and don't forget that  the 2 guys in the other cart, are also sitting there watching.  Now I'm sure some people in this thread saw the Stoke and Distance one that went 9 pages here just recently.  Referencing it here because someone posted a 7 page USGA explanation on why they didn't change the stroke and distance rule.  Anyone seen a pamphlet from the USGA, that is regularly provided to courses to educate people on the proper use of carts during play, and when to stay in the cart when not to, when to drive the cart, (EVEN IF YOUR BAG IS NOT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE).   I realize the courses bare some of the responsibility as well.  Starters perhaps who politely remind people to not sit in the cart if you can walk 10 yards to your ball, and if your ball is on the opposite side of the fairway, its OK to actually pass the other cart and pull ahead a little.  The problem is that unless you remind people, we all know that nobody thinks they are actually contributing to slow play. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, stuka44 said:

GaDawg: You are SOOOOOOO right.  Oh and don't forget that  the 2 guys in the other cart, are also sitting there watching.  Now I'm sure some people in this thread saw the Stoke and Distance one that went 9 pages here just recently.  Referencing it here because someone posted a 7 page USGA explanation on why they didn't change the stroke and distance rule.  Anyone seen a pamphlet from the USGA, that is regularly provided to courses to educate people on the proper use of carts during play, and when to stay in the cart when not to, when to drive the cart, (EVEN IF YOUR BAG IS NOT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE).   I realize the courses bare some of the responsibility as well.  Starters perhaps who politely remind people to not sit in the cart if you can walk 10 yards to your ball, and if your ball is on the opposite side of the fairway, its OK to actually pass the other cart and pull ahead a little.  The problem is that unless you remind people, we all know that nobody thinks they are actually contributing to slow play. 

From what I've seen, so many people have never been taught how to play golf.  I'm not talking about swinging the club, I'm talking about how to get yourself around a golf course.  It's something we have to teach the kids at First Tee - always be moving towards your ball as long as you're not interfering with others playing the hole.  Plan your next shot while others are hitting.

Based on what I see with kids playing Operation 36, we should all be playing tees that give us a reasonable chance of shooting 36 for 9 holes.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Play the tees that are most fun for you.  I am 68 years old and most of my playing partners are much younger.  I typically play the white tee (men's average)with them and keep up with them even though I am hitting hybrids into greens when they are hitting irons.  I joined a senior group recently where you play from the Gold(senior) tees or a blended between white and gold tees.  I find that it has made me a much better golfer playing these not simply because it is shorter but now I have holes where I don't always need to hit driver off the tee.  The course makes me think more plan my shots and when I play the whites with my usual group I still am more mindful of the hole layout and what I need to do.

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Taylormade M2 6-PW

hybrids Taylormade 4 and 5

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

I was told a while back to use the following formula to determine which set of tees to play:

5 iron carry distance X 36, for example, say I carry my five iron 175 yards. Multiply by 36 (175 x 36 = 6300).  Find a set of tees as close to 6300 as you can on the course you are playing.

NOTE:  This method calls for carry distance, not carry and roll!

It seems to work for me.  Good Luck!

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash, Fujikura Pro 2.0 stiff

3 wood:  Callaway Epic Flash

3 Hybrid:   TaylorMade M2

4 Hybrid:  TaylorMade M2

Irons:  5 iron -PW PXG 0211, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff

50 and 54 degree wedges:  Callaway MD3

58 degree wedge:  Callaway PM grind

Putter:  TaylorMade Ardmore 3

•