TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf through the Pandemics

release

What's your take on golfing through the Pandemics ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What happened in your neck of the woods ?

• Golf in my area has been slow, just like every other businesses.
    • Golf is as usual, not much different than a few years ago.
    • Golf has been going back to the "Tiger Craze" years, it seems everyone I know had picked up the game.

What happened in your region as the pandemic marched on ?

We had expected the game would slow down just like everything else, but, nooooooo.     The golf courses had been packed with golfers.  The usual golf enthusiasts, the casual golfers, the new golfers............  Actually, this is the only industry in my region that experiencing a growth through the pandemic.   Green fees are up, the tee sheets are full , and because the demand is up, many golf courses are not offering their usual discount to the junior golfers.   

Why would they give discounted green fee or free play to the junior golfers when they could sell the spots at a premium price with golfers waiting to beat the cabin fever ?

Personally, I hate the raised cup lining.  You know, the white cup lining which sticking up over the surface of the putting green and all one needs to do is to touch any part of the lining with their putt to call it "good".

I refused to pay premium green fee ( for the standard around here ) and then to putt to this cup lining.  Absolutely discussing.  

I don't mind not taking the flag stick out, since I had done that when I played by myself.  Plus the ne rules allows the flag to stay in the cup while putting.   I hate to putt toward the white elephant sticking up over the putting surface.  What about the drama of a lip-out ?  A around the cup rejection ?

Anyhow, I'll pick up the game later as I refused to join the crowd as this might be a good time to catch up with some reading and refining the equipment.

Actually, my biggest fear is, no one wears a face mask on the golf course in the open air.  Obviously, they have no clue how this virus attacks and how a virus could spread around.   The numbers shows the infection rate had gone back up, since the partial opening of the activities.   I hope nothing worst will come our way.

Every area of the country, each state, county, or golf course has gone by different rules during the pandemic. I know areas where the courses were closed for months. My area never closed at all.

We used the piece of pool noodle around the flagstick which only allowed the ball to drop in two inches. So you only had to reach in an inch or so. The flag stick was to remain in. Rakes were removed from the bunkers and ball washers were drained. Carts were one to a person unless you lived in the same household. That was the extent of it. Masks were not required while playing but it was your choice. Carts were washed before you used it. Play increased during this time but it was still not bad. I didn't miss any rounds due to the pandemic. 

Most members got their shots already, rakes are back in the bunkers. Now its back to two in a cart unless you have an issue with it. But I do see more walkers than usual. Our news doesn't even report new cases like they did daily. Things are better now than what they were in my area. 

But I do get mad at people walking around the supermarket, Lowes, or Walmart without a mask. Even if you had Covid you can still get it and spread it. Wear a mask to protect others, it's the right thing to do.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Heck it has stayed normal at my home course.  No masks and busy as a bee in a tar bucket! We have a large bunch of seniors who play Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday each week.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Our State had the golf courses and driving range shut down for months at the beginning of the pandemics.  I know many of my friends drove to our neighboring State for golf for weeks.

One has his In-Laws 3 hours drive away in the neighboring State, he'd pack his family every weekend to go "visit" his In-Laws.

He played golf all day with the boys and the wife went shopping with her sisters.  They would play bridge or Ma-Jon after dinner.

He'd load up at Costco and have beef steaks, Halibut steaks, Tiger prawns........... don't really mind no dinning out.  His in-laws will reverse the visit come traditional Holidays toward the end of the year.

None of the courses around me shutdown, they did go to raised cups for a while and then the shallow cups came on a little bit later, flag sticks were to remain in the holes, no rakes in the bunkers, no ball washers, and no water coolers on the course. One person to a cart unless you lived in the same household. With all that said, every course I know within 50 miles of my house has been super busy since this all hit, it seems like when the original lockdown took place and a lot of people were home they suddenly needed a new hobby and they took up golf. Are used to be able to drive over to my local municipal course that has 2 18 hole courses On a Saturday afternoon, pay my green fee and grab a cart and head out as a single. But not anymore you can’t get a tee time on the weekends unless you’re getting it 5 to 6 days ahead of time. If I want an early morning tee time on Sunday I have to book it a week in advance. About a month ago I had a dentist appointment that ended at 1:45 and I decided I would try to get out and play a quick round, after all it was Tuesday the course shouldn’t be crowded right, WRONG! I got home grab my clubs and headed to the course I found out I had to wait 30 minutes to get on the course and that’s with 2 courses!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

6 hours ago, TBT said:

None of the courses around me shutdown, they did go to raised cups for a while and then the shallow cups came on a little bit later, flag sticks were to remain in the holes, no rakes in the bunkers, no ball washers, and no water coolers on the course. One person to a cart unless you lived in the same household. With all that said, every course I know within 50 miles of my house has been super busy since this all hit, it seems like when the original lockdown took place and a lot of people were home they suddenly needed a new hobby and they took up golf. Are used to be able to drive over to my local municipal course that has 2 18 hole courses On a Saturday afternoon, pay my green fee and grab a cart and head out as a single. But not anymore you can’t get a tee time on the weekends unless you’re getting it 5 to 6 days ahead of time. If I want an early morning tee time on Sunday I have to book it a week in advance. About a month ago I had a dentist appointment that ended at 1:45 and I decided I would try to get out and play a quick round, after all it was Tuesday the course shouldn’t be crowded right, WRONG! I got home grab my clubs and headed to the course I found out I had to wait 30 minutes to get on the course and that’s with 2 courses!

Don't complain too much when waiting for 30 minutes as a walked on single.

My local muni has a typical waiting list of 1 1/2-3 hours waiting.  Because their tee sheet is full and everyone showed up for their reservation.

On top of this , since many are new to the golf game ( honestly, they should stay on the driving range or a par 3 golf course for a bit longer ).  Therefore, a 5 1/2 to 6 hour round is expected.  All this on a golf course which is 6,200 yards from the tip.  Yes there is a little elevation change and narrow fairways.  I had played it before in a little over 3 hours in a four-some ( all using push carts ).

My State is "advanced" in giving room to the public, in their political action and governing policy.  But they sure was behind in opening up the golf courses for the bored , stayed at home ( supposed to be working or not ) people.

Now the schools are open, and many work places are back to normal..... maybe some of these "new" golfers will return to their routine, soon ?  Or the golf industry will have a new wave of new golfers like the Tiger Craze created !

My region has seen a massive increase over the past year-plus.  So much so, we are seeing unintended consequences of that increase.  Most clubs are seeing rampant failure of golf carts from overuse due to single-rider mandates from the state, plus the increase of rounds played.  Most carts are making three loops in a given day!  My home club just bought a whole new fleet of carts in 2019.  They will have to be replaced by the end of 2021, if not sooner.  We are averaging 20% of the fleet down at any given time for repair. I walk 99% of my rounds so it doesn't affect me.  But being a stock-owner in a stock-equity club, I have a vested interest in the health of my home away from home. 

My home club doesn't have homes on the property.  It's a golf club and nothing more.  Most of the surrounding properties are farm-land being sold off due to pandemic related closures.  Those areas are being subdivided and homes are being built surrounding the perimeter of the club at a rate that is shocking.  I have played 66 times at my club in 2021.  (I'm anal-retentive about my Outlook calendar for professional reasons)  It seems like once a week, I see ground being broken for a new home.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

My region has seen a massive increase over the past year-plus.  So much so, we are seeing unintended consequences of that increase.  Most clubs are seeing rampant failure of golf carts from overuse due to single-rider mandates from the state, plus the increase of rounds played.  Most carts are making three loops in a given day!  My home club just bought a whole new fleet of carts in 2019.  They will have to be replaced by the end of 2021, if not sooner.  We are averaging 20% of the fleet down at any given time for repair.

It seems like once a week, I see ground being broken for a new home.

We are having the same issue with carts. Replacing batteries often. Some carts are barley making 18 holes. Limping in to the home stretch and right in the cart barn for a re-charge. We are supposed to get a new fleet of carts soon. I am also seeing many houses built on the way to the course but not on it. We already have some houses around the outskirts but none come into play. They all have decent size property associated with them.   

36 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

We are having the same issue with carts. Replacing batteries often. Some carts are barley making 18 holes. Limping in to the home stretch and right in the cart barn for a re-charge. We are supposed to get a new fleet of carts soon. I am also seeing many houses built on the way to the course but not on it. We already have some houses around the outskirts but none come into play. They all have decent size property associated with them.   

We don't have any houses that come into play.  None of the houses being built will come into play either.  The club has a pretty good sized buffer of land that we own to prevent that from happening. 

The cart situation is something I suspect a lot of clubs are running into.  I'm not convinced that situation isn't a net positive in some aspects though.  We are seeing a significant rise in membership walking the golf course due to poor cart performance and the rise in cart fee to combat the cart issue.  Our cart fee increased from $14 to $20 as a result of the abuse the carts were taking.

Again, I only take a cart when the course I'm playing requires me to do so.  My home club could get rid of every motorized cart for all I care.  Actually, I LOVE the thoughts of that!!!

I need to walk more but the course is very hilly being at the base of the Smokey Mountains. It really is more than hilly in fact there is not one flat hole on the course. I can walk it but a few holes are difficult.  My club included the cart with membership until the pandemic, then they started to charge a $5.00 fee due to single rider requirements.  I just always took a cart because it was free and I don't mind the $5.00. I can play 18 in just over 2 hours. If I walk it adds about 15 to 20 minutes. If I play other local courses I'll walk because they are flatter. Still hilly but not bad. 

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I need to walk more but the course is very hilly being at the base of the Smokey Mountains. It really is more than hilly in fact there is not one flat hole on the course. I can walk it but a few holes are difficult.  My club included the cart with membership until the pandemic, then they started to charge a $5.00 fee due to single rider requirements.  I just always took a cart because it was free and I don't mind the $5.00. I can play 18 in just over 2 hours. If I walk it adds about 15 to 20 minutes. If I play other local courses I'll walk because they are flatter. Still hilly but not bad. 

I live a little north on the other side of the Smokey's from Greeneville about halfway between Bristol and Roanoke.  My home club is very hilly but easily walkable.  Other courses in this area, not so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Our State had approved of no facemask required in open air .  Actually learned this last week while walking out from our local driving range.  Someone yield at us " no face mask in open air, I'm so happy ...."

We continue to wear face mask whenever we're with other people like the driving range and shopping for food.  For I have know personally, quite a few tested positive for COVID-19 after full vaccination.   We know the virus will still be around,  But in those cases, they went to get tested for the infection because, they were having symptoms of the infection or were not feeling well.

Who wants to have the test stick stick up the nostril far enough to make tears come down if one didn't feel the need for the testing ?

We're back to the driving range and rounds on the local golf courses , still being cautious.

• 1 month later...

Don't know your area.  In my region, there seems to be more available tee times and bargains in the last week than what we had been experiencing this year.

Our local leaders determined that we could open the economy, cruise lines are open ( with restrictions , which is not "water tight" so many cases of infection had been reported from the cruise line operation ).  So is other Civic activities.  like opening the "cooling center " during the heat wave of pass days.  I know the record heat wave was a health concern. so is gathering people in an enclosed environment with recirculating air.  Never had triple digit weather since I had been here .  In more than 4 decades, I remember maybe a handful of days over 90 each year.

For the younger-me; it's a go for golf in the 90's.  Maybe it's not comfortable temperature by walking the golf course but, it was doable for a young golfer.  But than again, I was a golf nut, golf in rain, snow, frost and blistering heat.

The sign of a sudden drop of interest in the local muni courses told me one possible cause.  The ones crowding the local mini golf courses were mostly "new" golfers or the usual weekend warriors.  They'll tone down when the regular activities opened up or when the whether is not "ideal" for their standard. 

An golf addict, will take any opportunity to get on the golf course with their schedule.  I can't imagine anyone could enjoy themselves on the golf course without the effort of putting into the game to be better.

All it takes, would be just a few good shots in a round of golf to bring them back, right ?  I'm not sure about these trend chasers.

I've noticed a little less congestion at my home club the past few weeks, especially on the weekends. I suspect, this is due to youth sports opening back up full throttle. Harder to get to the golf course with little Johnny playing little league.

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

I've noticed a little less congestion at my home club the past few weeks, especially on the weekends. I suspect, this is due to youth sports opening back up full throttle. Harder to get to the golf course with little Johnny playing little league.

More are back to their work in their office or at their work site instead of the "remote office".  I know one thing; a lot more traffic back on the roadways.  Worse than before since some had forgotten how to share the roads.

Think the remote work might be more fitted to some industry than the next.  Even with the positions mainly performed in front of the terminal and via internet.  Accountability is a huge question.  I had witness or second hand info on all fields which had been "slacking off " during the home base working periods.  How efficient can the works be if they take 40 minutes to walk their dog or take a 2 hour launch break, watch a movie while "working" ......  This is not unique to one industry.

Anyways, when these "new golfers" go back to their regular routine, to work and their favorite off time activities, dinning out, biking, hiking, the golf courses should get back to it's normal level of volume.

It'll be interesting to see the trending in the next 18 months, for sure.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:57 PM, release said:

What happened in your region as the pandemic marched on ?

We had expected the game would slow down just like everything else, but, nooooooo.     The golf courses had been packed with golfers.  The usual golf enthusiasts, the casual golfers, the new golfers............  Actually, this is the only industry in my region that experiencing a growth through the pandemic.   Green fees are up, the tee sheets are full , and because the demand is up, many golf courses are not offering their usual discount to the junior golfers.   

Why would they give discounted green fee or free play to the junior golfers when they could sell the spots at a premium price with golfers waiting to beat the cabin fever ?

Personally, I hate the raised cup lining.  You know, the white cup lining which sticking up over the surface of the putting green and all one needs to do is to touch any part of the lining with their putt to call it "good".

I refused to pay premium green fee ( for the standard around here ) and then to putt to this cup lining.  Absolutely discussing.  

I don't mind not taking the flag stick out, since I had done that when I played by myself.  Plus the ne rules allows the flag to stay in the cup while putting.   I hate to putt toward the white elephant sticking up over the putting surface.  What about the drama of a lip-out ?  A around the cup rejection ?

Anyhow, I'll pick up the game later as I refused to join the crowd as this might be a good time to catch up with some reading and refining the equipment.

Actually, my biggest fear is, no one wears a face mask on the golf course in the open air.  Obviously, they have no clue how this virus attacks and how a virus could spread around.   The numbers shows the infection rate had gone back up, since the partial opening of the activities.   I hope nothing worst will come our way.

Golf here in central Ohio seems to be bigger than Ive ever seen it because its been one of the few activities that people were able to get out and do throughout the pandemic.

Just yesterday, I tried to get a morning tee time and every slot had 2-3 people all the way from 8am until noon.  On a freaking Tuesday.  I swear people dont work in this town. LOL

The weekends are even worse.  Even if you want to get out in the afternoon on a weekend, youd better be prepared to get grouped up with others and expect the course to be slow.  Im actually looking foreward to a couple months from now when football season starts and people start being more interested in sitting on their couch watching football than in golf.  I love golf in the fall here because the courses are empty and I can get out and play 9 holes in about an hour.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

23 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

youd better be prepared to get grouped up with others and expect the course to be slow. 

The phenomenon probably caused by too many new golfers on the golf course who should have been to the par-3 or an executive course, before they could advance the golf ball 150+ yards.  They have no business on the regular golf courses.  Think of a car doing way below the posted speed lint on a single lane one way street ?  One of the local track ( 6400 yards stretched ) took me 6+ hours for the 18.  

Also I had noticed, more and more had been conducting their business on the golf course by connecting their communication to the smart phone.  I mean, give us a break ?  If you can't leave your job or you're on an "expended break" from your work position....do all of us a favor, stay where you should have been, right ?   I had the urge to tell those to pick up their golf balls because I was tired of waiting for them to get off their phone stand and waiting for them to paly their next shot ( multiple times for each nine ).  One other pet peeve was, the speaker , my goodness.  I love music, but not on the golf course.  Ever had some car next to you at the stop light cranked up their bass blaster, with their windows "down" ?    Okay, not quite like that, but annoying regardless.  Have the courtesy of using a head phone/ear piece if one must have their music.  These kids( and/or adults ) with "sound bars", riding golf carts, jamming away, which could be heard from the next fairways.  How did they grow-up ?  Without guidance , maybe ?  

Lots of strange things happened on the golf courses because the activities had been taken over by many of the none-regular,  Did the golf course management cares ?  They're busy racking in the revenue to patch up the holes left from last year. I'd assume to limit my own golf activity until things are back to a little bit normal.

The private golf and country clubs and many of the resort type of golf courses are experiencing the opposite .  I guess, the surge of the opportunity golfers only attacks the local municipal golf courses. 

21 minutes ago, release said:

The phenomenon probably caused by too many new golfers on the golf course who should have been to the par-3 or an executive course, before they could advance the golf ball 150+ yards.  They have no business on the regular golf courses.  Think of a car doing way below the posted speed lint on a single lane one way street ?  One of the local track ( 6400 yards stretched ) took me 6+ hours for the 18.  

Also I had noticed, more and more had been conducting their business on the golf course by connecting their communication to the smart phone.  I mean, give us a break ?  If you can't leave your job or you're on an "expended break" from your work position....do all of us a favor, stay where you should have been, right ?   I had the urge to tell those to pick up their golf balls because I was tired of waiting for them to get off their phone stand and waiting for them to paly their next shot ( multiple times for each nine ).  One other pet peeve was, the speaker , my goodness.  I love music, but not on the golf course.  Ever had some car next to you at the stop light cranked up their bass blaster, with their windows "down" ?    Okay, not quite like that, but annoying regardless.  Have the courtesy of using a head phone/ear piece if one must have their music.  These kids( and/or adults ) with "sound bars", riding golf carts, jamming away, which could be heard from the next fairways.  How did they grow-up ?  Without guidance , maybe ?  

Lots of strange things happened on the golf courses because the activities had been taken over by many of the none-regular,  Did the golf course management cares ?  They're busy racking in the revenue to patch up the holes left from last year. I'd assume to limit my own golf activity until things are back to a little bit normal.

The private golf and country clubs and many of the resort type of golf courses are experiencing the opposite .  I guess, the surge of the opportunity golfers only attacks the local municipal golf courses. 

Sounding a bit cranky today. 🤣

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Sounding a bit cranky today. 🤣

Not really "cranky".  Just not as patient as I used to be.  Too many stuff going on and way too many on the horizon.  Maybe being ignorant and not knowing what's going on will be a blessing .

Or like some of my friends, ignoring the facts and bury their heads in the sand, hoping everything will be fine.  

We were in Yuma, AZ during the onset and all the courses there adopted various versions of reduced contact protocols; no flags on practice greens, one person/cart, foam donuts in green cups, no rakes, concessions closed. etc. A couple of courses went to a self serve, honor system for making payment (drop money in box) and manage tee off sequence (which worked really well).  One negative was that folks from CA were heading over to play because they shutdown golf there... clearly a case of the golfing jones is powerful... neither sleet, rain, snow, or pandemic 😆.

When we returned to MT late April 2020, it was pretty much the same protocols.  I was surprised to see so many folks out but then if one does there part to follow the limited contact rules, the risk is low and the physical and mental health beneficial.

Based on my observations, I would answer your poll somewhere between the "golf as usual" and the "Tiger-crazed years" (chose the golf as usual).  There is no doubt that C19 has created surge in folks golfing but I don't think it matches the Tiger period.  Further, my hunch is that it does not have the staying power of that period... but we'll see.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I started the time in Maine, so when it hit, golf wasn't really happening due to end of winter. Once the courses were allowed to be opened it got pretty crazy.  Yes it took a while for the governor to give an OK to people doing stuff outside. I hadn't really picked up a club in a few years and my wife told me it would be good for me to get out. I know at my local course, most tee times were taken all day long and they even stayed open an extra week into November and were booked until the end of the last day. 

I've been in Pinehurst since December, and even with spiked numbers through the winter, the golf courses seemed somewhat busy unless it was in the 30's. The 40's and 50's felt balmy once I left the negative numbers of Maine. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

7 hours ago, release said:

Im actually fine with people being slow, as long as they let faster players through.

As far as music on the course goes, its not really a new thing and has been a growing trend for a number of year now.  I personally dont have a problem with it, as long as its kept at a respectable volume.  If Im on the next hole over and can hear your music, its too loud.  I always seem to see the group of 40 year old dudes who are trying to relive their college days playing a round on Saturday with their buddies, with the backwards hats, shotgunning beers, trying to be like frat boys, who are blasting ganster rap and have one of those bluetooth speakers cranked up loud enough that half the golf course can hear it.  I usually try to shout something clever to them like, "Hey! Play some Skynyrd!"  Sometimes they make my day and give me the finger and sometimes not. LOL

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

21 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

dudes who are trying to relive their college days

I also have nothing against others doing their things.  The forgotten of the rule about live your live and let the others live their live gets blurred when we're in a crowded space.  

As Those idiots damaging their eardrum playing music in traffic.  I'll say go for it but "shut your windows " because the guys next to you don't want to heard the earth shuttering noise in a blistering hot day. 

I'm with those who wants to hear the birds chirping, the wind brushed the tree tops, and once in awhile the crisp snap of a well struck golf shot.   I don't want to be forced to listen to some inconsiderate idiot playing loud music or yakking away on their mobile phone. 

Quite a few of our local private golf clubs forebit the use of mobile device on property unless in the club house.  First thing they'll tell you is to "turn off" your cellphone at the entry gate, not even allowed to be on vibrate notice.  Forewarned that one would be escorted off the premises  should anyone report the use of a mobile communication device.  Sorry, even if you're a Medical Doctor on call, no can do.  

I had reported the loud rowdy behavior on the golf courses to the club house and they'll send the course marshal down to observe and give warning if necessary, so a few idiots will not ruin the others enjoyment on the golf course.  What's the big deal of wearing a Bluetooth device to enjoy your tune ?  Although I had seen warnings been issued to golfers several times but never seen anyone actually got thrown off the public golf courses.  People here do not know how to live with the others in a shared tighter space.  What happened to the etiquette of golf we were taught, when we started to play this game ?   I guess the launch monitor and golf instructors do not teach golf etiquette. 

Someone told me other countries ( Norway, Japan, maybe S. Korea) will require a short class in golf etiquette before a new golfer could step on the golf course, besides producing a card of "proficiency" in the game , the other prove of a card of attending the basic etiquette is also required.    I was surprise to be asked to produce a USGA index card or a GHIN number to a private golf club overseas before I could step out to the first tee box with my host.

18 hours ago, release said:

I also have nothing against others doing their things.  The forgotten of the rule about live your live and let the others live their live gets blurred when we're in a crowded space.  

As Those idiots damaging their eardrum playing music in traffic.  I'll say go for it but "shut your windows " because the guys next to you don't want to heard the earth shuttering noise in a blistering hot day. 

I'm with those who wants to hear the birds chirping, the wind brushed the tree tops, and once in awhile the crisp snap of a well struck golf shot.   I don't want to be forced to listen to some inconsiderate idiot playing loud music or yakking away on their mobile phone. 

Quite a few of our local private golf clubs forebit the use of mobile device on property unless in the club house.  First thing they'll tell you is to "turn off" your cellphone at the entry gate, not even allowed to be on vibrate notice.  Forewarned that one would be escorted off the premises  should anyone report the use of a mobile communication device.  Sorry, even if you're a Medical Doctor on call, no can do.  

I had reported the loud rowdy behavior on the golf courses to the club house and they'll send the course marshal down to observe and give warning if necessary, so a few idiots will not ruin the others enjoyment on the golf course.  What's the big deal of wearing a Bluetooth device to enjoy your tune ?  Although I had seen warnings been issued to golfers several times but never seen anyone actually got thrown off the public golf courses.  People here do not know how to live with the others in a shared tighter space.  What happened to the etiquette of golf we were taught, when we started to play this game ?   I guess the launch monitor and golf instructors do not teach golf etiquette. 

Someone told me other countries ( Norway, Japan, maybe S. Korea) will require a short class in golf etiquette before a new golfer could step on the golf course, besides producing a card of "proficiency" in the game , the other prove of a card of attending the basic etiquette is also required.    I was surprise to be asked to produce a USGA index card or a GHIN number to a private golf club overseas before I could step out to the first tee box with my host.

Hey, Im all for doing your thing too but its not going to stop me from laughing and thinking someone is an idiot when they are 40 and still trying to act like theyre a frat boy.  

Dont even get me started on when they try to hit on the beer cart girl.  Its like bro, you couldnt get her when you are in your prime, what makes you think that youre going to get her when youre 40, with a dad bod and going bald, especially when you just ordered a White Claw? LOL

Edited by ZenGolfer

5 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Hey, Im all for doing your thing too but its not going to stop me from laughing and thinking someone is an idiot when they are 40 and still trying to act like theyre a frat boy.  

Dont even get me started on when they try to hit on the beer cart girl.  Its like bro, you couldnt get her when you are in your prime, what makes you think that youre going to get her when youre 40, with a dad bod and going bald, especially when you just ordered a White Claw? LOL

Yes, quite comical when people don't act like their age but, they can do whatever they wish as long as they keep others safe and observe the decency of being a human being.  Talk about acting their age.  How about the rich and famous spent 5-7 figures to butcher themselves up trying to look young again.  I mean just look at them, after all the money spent and all the suffering, they just look like pathetical.

However, in golf, I know a lot of us get on the golf course not just for the game, it's a palace to escape their reality.  Place to forget about things, place to act silly.  Cart girls won't mind, as they get their tips that way, by participating in harmless flirting.  They might be going bald, and growing their beer belly but, they might have more in their bank account than the youngsters.  So if they want to flirt with the cart girl and tip the cart girl besides for paying drinks 3-5 times you could get somewhere else, so be it.

I want to tell you a real story.  It happened some years ago when we ( two groups ) played at this newly opened high end golf course.  One of the guys stopped a beverage cart and flirted with the cart girl but he was too cheap to by anything over $10.  So he kinda obligated to get a drink from the beverage cart after the small talk..... he got a bottle of iced mineral water. Paid $3.50 and tip the girl $1.50.  Upon arriving on the next tee box, we found a complimentary ice chest next to the bench with a sign saying, please take one.  It was full of apples and iced mineral water.  The same brand and size as the bottle they guy just paid $5 for.  We laughed all the way to the club house and didn't forget to give him the funny poke to remind him what a sucker he was.

I know one other guy goes to the golf course to escape from his obligations for just 4-5 hours.  His wife is fully depending on him for daily chores, going to see the Medical Doctors for appointments, shopping for grocery, walking their dog.......  So once or twice a week, he'll get some help from their children to sit the wife and he would escape ( mentally ) from this.

So, if I see some weird, unconventional behavior on the golf course..... I tend to give them a little extra room, as long as they stop at and stop when they should.