What irons are you gaming for Feel & Forgiveness

MFSOT

I’m also a mid handicapper. I would go into the fitting with an open mind because the Trackman doesn’t lie.  I played TM irons for a long time and went in for a fitting and came out with Ping G710s with Oban Reg+ shafts. When you first look at them they do look big I’ll admit but top line looking down wasn’t bad. Long story short Trackman didn’t lie and I tried all sorts of combinations and those had the best numbers.   Few of my buddies said I looked like I was swinging a shovel but as I continuously stripe their rear they have quieted down. 

2 minutes ago, Higgy34 said:

I’m also a mid handicapper. I would go into the fitting with an open mind because the Trackman doesn’t lie.  I played TM irons for a long time and went in for a fitting and came out with Ping G710s with Oban Reg+ shafts. When you first look at them they do look big I’ll admit but top line looking down wasn’t bad. Long story short Trackman didn’t lie and I tried all sorts of combinations and those had the best numbers.   Few of my buddies said I looked like I was swinging a shovel but as I continuously stripe their rear they have quieted down. 

No launch monitor tells you anything about feel, from the OP title…

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Higgy34 said:

I do plan on going in with an open mind, however, I hope that my Gen3 PXG 0311P or my T200s are what win out (with expected new shaft combos) 😆 If not you'll be seeing a couple of sets for sale on BST, as I'm going with what the LM and my feel tells me is best. As @Middler mentioned above, feel is very important to me, you can give me a club I hit straight every time and if I can't feel the ball off the face I don't want it.

Edited by MFSOT
Fixed BST

Been playing Ping G700s for past 2 years with Alta A shafts. Great clubs. The ball goes long, high and straight. Demoed JPX 900s prior to purchase and went with the Pings because of better dispersion. Distance was about the same for both models.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

Gotta throw the Hogan PtxPro combo set out there. 3 of my friends now sport the Hogans, and they all LOVE them

• Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

So Im a returning golfer.

Never really stopped playing but not playing as much as I was when I was younger.

This past year I replaced my Lynx Parallax Tour Irons with a set of Callaway Steelhead XR's

They feel really good and you can still shape a shot when needed. The offset isn't obnoxious by any stretch.

I in a way wish I had of waited a little bit. I've heard the Taylormade P770's are a nice Players Iron and can be combo'ed with the 790

• Like 1

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: M5 w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60g

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW

Wedges - :callaway-small: Vintage X-tour - 52*-56*-60*

Putter - :ping-small: Karsten Anser2 TR

JerBooth

Swing easy.

Like you I can't play the GI irons. I grew up when blades were the only choice and my brain needs to see a thinner topline. The last 2 years I have been playing the honma tw737v set and I love them. The look suits my eye and nothing beats a good shot from a forged club.

• Like 1

Honma XP-1, great feel and performance for this 72 year old.  They are still available at a readonable price.

Previously used JPX 850 and they were great, like other inputs, the Mizuno JPX line offers greet options.  

Even tried the Cobra superlights, before replacing the Mizunos, they were good but the Honma XP-1 won out.  Eventually had to go to regular flex from my 6.0 flighted shafts.  

Best of luck and enjoy the game and getting out to play.

• Like 1

Gamed Mizuno JPX Forged irons for years.  Switched to Sub70 699/699 Pro irons.....with recoil shafts.  Happier on every level.

:tour-edge:  EXS Driver  10.5 degree Tensei Blue R (set to 11.5 degrees)

:tour-edge:  EXS 3 wood 15 degree Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:  EXS 5 wood 18 degree  Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:  EXS 7 wood 21 degree  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:       699 5-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:       699 Pro 8-PW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R

image.png.c928600806360af0f221f8dc200db414.png  52 56 60 wedges

image.png.c928600806360af0f221f8dc200db414.png KS1 putter

Ben Hogan Player’s Combo is the single best feeling iron set I’ve ever played. Period. 

Not only do they feel great, they are as good as anything on the market for players or mid handicappers. 

• Like 4
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

The most forgiving irons and verified by testing are Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. These irons are easy to hit, get the ball high in the air even with a slower swing speed and extremely forgiving.

Find yourself some Mizuno MP53's. Olden but golden.

Great feel and forgiveness.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5 Tensei Orange band Stiff

Cobra Fly-Z+ 4 Wood Stiff

Mizuno MP-53 Project X 5.5 3-pw

Mizuno S18 51/56

Cleveland Huntingdon Beach 1

29EB1A33-1203-49EF-8377-81145197AA64.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Snell MTB-Black

6 hours ago, RITZ said:

The most forgiving irons and verified by testing are Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. These irons are easy to hit, get the ball high in the air even with a slower swing speed and extremely forgiving.

Somehow I doubt they offer decent feel. And verified “most forgiving” by whom? 😆 

• Snell MTB-Black

On 5/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, MFSOT said:

I’m a mid/high handicapper, used to be a low handicapper, but a 18 year hiatus has obviously affected my game. I’m in the midst of trying to find a good iron, my problem is I can’t hit the GI irons as there is no feel, I can’t even tell if I hit the ball plus I expect I’ll play out of them fairly quickly. I love the feel and look of a players iron because that’s what I used to play (Titleist 704CB) I understand I need to be fitted (already have been, and have two more fittings scheduled - PXG and Club Champion) This is a post/thread less about me and more about what irons does the MGS community love for feel and forgiveness and some workability.

I really love my Srixon 785 irons which are a good blend of feel, workability, forgiveness.  The V-sole works so well for me, because I get a little steep some times.  The newer version is the Z7 and I bet they will perform equally well.  The NS Pro Modus 120 Stiff Nippon shaft is ideal for my swing (60 year old, current 7 handicapper).  I played DG S300 forever, but the Nippon gives me much better dispersion.       If I could not get Srixons, I would buy MIzuno, since they make great clubs too and I'd recommend using their shaft optimizer tool to get started.   Beware of club manufacturers that keep increasing the shaft length and delofting the irons.  Otherwise, you'll be shopping for additional wedges to fill the gaps.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing at this.  Maybe because my wife said that exact same thing when I just bought my Srixon's.

• Haha 1
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

7 hours ago, Middler said:

I have 3 sets of irons and a fitting coming up.. I can safely say I will most likely keep 2

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bens197 said:

Ben Hogan Player’s Combo is the single best feeling iron set I’ve ever played. Period. 

Not only do they feel great, they are as good as anything on the market for players or mid handicappers. 

Man that is a gorgeous set, seems like it may fit me well too, I tend to stripe my 8-P

44 minutes ago, MFSOT said:

Man that is a gorgeous set, seems like it may fit me well too, I tend to stripe my 8-P

Scroll through this for some guidance. 

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index