Jump to content

What irons are you gaming for Feel & Forgiveness


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, bens197 said:

Scroll through this for some guidance. 
 

 

I found that thread nice and quick after your post and looking at the Hogan site, thank you.

Edited by MFSOT
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Callaway, mizuno, Taylormade, Honma, Titlist,  PXG, Cobra, Wilson,  Srixon, hogan, sub70......   all manufacturers make great irons and there is a model for you.  I truly believe I could find a

I would second the Mizuno JPX line as well.  I had them, but got rid of them for my Callaway Apex 19 combo set, they are so nice and a much better feel than my Mizuno's, however, not as forgiving.  I

Ben Hogan Player’s Combo is the single best feeling iron set I’ve ever played. Period.    Not only do they feel great, they are as good as anything on the market for players or mid handicappers

Posted Images

I've been gaming the Tour Edge EXS irons for a year now and they are pretty forgiving and have a great feel. Also won't break the bank very good price

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 5:17 AM, Middler said:

Somehow I doubt they offer decent feel. And verified “most forgiving” by whom? 😆 

GolfWRX- They tested most forgiving game improvement irons and Cleveland Halo Turbo launcher was #1. Thanks for asking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RITZ said:

GolfWRX- They tested most forgiving game improvement irons and Cleveland Halo Turbo launcher was #1. Thanks for asking.

Not that I can see…where’s your link? And again you’ve ignored the OP’s “FEEL & forgiveness.” Now that I’ve looked at a picture of the Cleveland’s 😆

https://www.golfwrx.com/650887/best-irons-in-golf-of-2021-welcome-to-irons-week/

3DE21873-B9A3-42CD-9D50-CDE46EDFF455.png

  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MFSOT said:

Is it that driving iron? 

Of course not, full iron sets.

  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the Ben Hogan PtxPros.

2-PW 1997 TM Burner Tour Blades
TM Burner Wedges 55,60
Project x 7.0
Can someone prove todays blades are better??
My distances are still buttery and spot on.
Upgrade in Driver coming

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, Middler said:

Not that I can see…where’s your link? And again you’ve ignored the OP’s “FEEL & forgiveness.” Now that I’ve looked at a picture of the Cleveland’s 😆

https://www.golfwrx.com/650887/best-irons-in-golf-of-2021-welcome-to-irons-week/

3DE21873-B9A3-42CD-9D50-CDE46EDFF455.png

Correction in double checking here is the review from Plugged In Golf clearly stating these Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo are  very forgiving and on point with our forum topic.   I quote for your reading pleasure.   ,..."CLEVELAND LAUNCHER HB TURBO IRONS ARE "VERY VERY FORGIVING"    🤣

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons Review

on January 13, 2020

Sound & Feel

Although the Launcher HB Turbo Iron head has a bulky look, the club had a well balanced feel with only a hint of head weight.  At impact, the solid feel in my hands matched the deep thwack my ears heard.  It took an enormous mishit to feel any significant feedback.

Performance

True to the bold forgiveness declaration from Cleveland, the Launcher HB Turbo irons are indeed super forgivingAny decent contact sent the ball high and straight.  This can be attributed in a large part to the HiBore profile which, along with being hollow, positions weight low and deep in the head.

With low spin and modest offset, the irons are also well suited to golfers trying to alleviate a slice.  Although the irons share the Turbo moniker with other clubs in the Launcher family, I did not find the face “hot” or “explosive”.  Distances were very consistent, but not attention grabbing.

Conclusion

The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons make it easy to keep the ball in play.  Golfers with slower swing speeds will enjoy getting the ball high in the air no matter how solid the strike.  The wide soles offer versatility for the non-tour conditions we all face on a routine basis.  Very, very forgiving.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 11:37 PM, RITZ said:

The most forgiving irons and verified by testing are Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. These irons are easy to hit, get the ball high in the air even with a slower swing speed and extremely forgiving.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:11 PM, RITZ said:

GolfWRX- They tested most forgiving game improvement irons and Cleveland Halo Turbo launcher was #1. Thanks for asking.

Doesn’t say “most” or “#1” anywhere, but keep digging… 

https://pluggedingolf.com/cleveland-launcher-hb-turbo-irons-review/

25 minutes ago, RITZ said:

Correction in double checking here is the review from Plugged In Golf clearly stating these Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo are  very forgiving and on point with our forum topic.   I quote for your reading pleasure.   ,..."CLEVELAND LAUNCHER HB TURBO IRONS ARE "VERY VERY FORGIVING"    🤣

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons Review

on January 13, 2020

Sound & Feel

Although the Launcher HB Turbo Iron head has a bulky look, the club had a well balanced feel with only a hint of head weight.  At impact, the solid feel in my hands matched the deep thwack my ears heard.  It took an enormous mishit to feel any significant feedback.

Performance

True to the bold forgiveness declaration from Cleveland, the Launcher HB Turbo irons are indeed super forgivingAny decent contact sent the ball high and straight.  This can be attributed in a large part to the HiBore profile which, along with being hollow, positions weight low and deep in the head.

With low spin and modest offset, the irons are also well suited to golfers trying to alleviate a slice.  Although the irons share the Turbo moniker with other clubs in the Launcher family, I did not find the face “hot” or “explosive”.  Distances were very consistent, but not attention grabbing.

Conclusion

The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons make it easy to keep the ball in play.  Golfers with slower swing speeds will enjoy getting the ball high in the air no matter how solid the strike.  The wide soles offer versatility for the non-tour conditions we all face on a routine basis.  Very, very forgiving.

 

  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
Link to post
Share on other sites

If feel is #1 vs anything else... The Lynx Black Cat's from 2018 that I tested here felt better than anything I've ever hit. 

With KBS tour 90R and midsize Lamkin grips.   However, I put my JPX 825 Pros back in the bag.  Lower ball flight, slightly less of the trampoline effect feel when center struck, slightly less spin; but, much more distance consistency.  But they've got some mileage.  I'm considering the new MP20 HMB/MMC combo, all HMB, or some other Mizuno combo.  But I'd also like to try some others like P7's.  Check out all the Players distance irons offered.  Many have GI hulls with forged faces. 

Hollow body irons with urethane injected inside help with distance and feel.  But, it's not the only game in town.  Try everything.  

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg.  Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:mizuno-small:         JPX 825 Pro forged 5-PW.  TT Dynalite Gold R300

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

Putter:              Walter Hagen MS-2 with a nice Wynn grip.   

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

 

2019: Tested Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020: Tested :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021: Testing :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play the WIlson FG Tour V2 irons.  I bought these to make myself concentrate more on hitting the the center.  While they aren't as long as the Cobra F7's I had previously, I have found them not so hard to adjust to.  PW thru 7 I really have no issues with but when I get past that, my good contact % falls quite a lot.  I only carry 5-pw with a 3 and 4 hybrid.  I use a Speedzone Driver and my favorite in the bag are the Hogan Equalizer wedges.  They seem to gap perfectly with the wilson irons.  I am currently testing the Hogan PTX pro irons.  I'm due an upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...