TESTERS WANTED! ×

What irons are you gaming for Feel & Forgiveness

MFSOT

Ben Hogan Player’s Combo is the single best feeling iron set I’ve ever played. Period. 

Not only do they feel great, they are as good as anything on the market for players or mid handicappers. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The most forgiving irons and verified by testing are Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. These irons are easy to hit, get the ball high in the air even with a slower swing speed and extremely forgiving.

Find yourself some Mizuno MP53's. Olden but golden.

Great feel and forgiveness.

Mizuno ST180 9.5 Tensei Orange band Stiff

Cobra Fly-Z+ 4 Wood Stiff

Mizuno MP-53 Project X 5.5 3-pw

Mizuno S18 51/56

Cleveland Huntingdon Beach 1

29EB1A33-1203-49EF-8377-81145197AA64.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

6 hours ago, RITZ said:

The most forgiving irons and verified by testing are Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. These irons are easy to hit, get the ball high in the air even with a slower swing speed and extremely forgiving.

Somehow I doubt they offer decent feel. And verified “most forgiving” by whom? 😆 

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 5/4/2021 at 5:37 AM, MFSOT said:

I’m a mid/high handicapper, used to be a low handicapper, but a 18 year hiatus has obviously affected my game. I’m in the midst of trying to find a good iron, my problem is I can’t hit the GI irons as there is no feel, I can’t even tell if I hit the ball plus I expect I’ll play out of them fairly quickly. I love the feel and look of a players iron because that’s what I used to play (Titleist 704CB) I understand I need to be fitted (already have been, and have two more fittings scheduled - PXG and Club Champion) This is a post/thread less about me and more about what irons does the MGS community love for feel and forgiveness and some workability.

I really love my Srixon 785 irons which are a good blend of feel, workability, forgiveness.  The V-sole works so well for me, because I get a little steep some times.  The newer version is the Z7 and I bet they will perform equally well.  The NS Pro Modus 120 Stiff Nippon shaft is ideal for my swing (60 year old, current 7 handicapper).  I played DG S300 forever, but the Nippon gives me much better dispersion.       If I could not get Srixons, I would buy MIzuno, since they make great clubs too and I'd recommend using their shaft optimizer tool to get started.   Beware of club manufacturers that keep increasing the shaft length and delofting the irons.  Otherwise, you'll be shopping for additional wedges to fill the gaps.    

2 hours ago, Middler said:

29EB1A33-1203-49EF-8377-81145197AA64.jpeg

I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing at this.  Maybe because my wife said that exact same thing when I just bought my Srixon's.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

20 hours ago, bens197 said:

Ben Hogan Player’s Combo is the single best feeling iron set I’ve ever played. Period. 

Not only do they feel great, they are as good as anything on the market for players or mid handicappers. 

Man that is a gorgeous set, seems like it may fit me well too, I tend to stripe my 8-P

44 minutes ago, MFSOT said:

Man that is a gorgeous set, seems like it may fit me well too, I tend to stripe my 8-P

Scroll through this for some guidance. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I've been gaming the Tour Edge EXS irons for a year now and they are pretty forgiving and have a great feel. Also won't break the bank very good price

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

On 5/5/2021 at 5:17 AM, Middler said:

Somehow I doubt they offer decent feel. And verified “most forgiving” by whom? 😆 

GolfWRX- They tested most forgiving game improvement irons and Cleveland Halo Turbo launcher was #1. Thanks for asking.

8 hours ago, RITZ said:

GolfWRX- They tested most forgiving game improvement irons and Cleveland Halo Turbo launcher was #1. Thanks for asking.

Not that I can see…where’s your link? And again you’ve ignored the OP’s “FEEL & forgiveness.” Now that I’ve looked at a picture of the Cleveland’s 😆

https://www.golfwrx.com/650887/best-irons-in-golf-of-2021-welcome-to-irons-week/

3DE21873-B9A3-42CD-9D50-CDE46EDFF455.png

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 hours ago, MFSOT said:

Is it that driving iron? 

Of course not, full iron sets.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Try the Ben Hogan PtxPros.

2-PW 1997 TM Burner Tour Blades
TM Burner Wedges 55,60
My distances are still buttery and spot on.

More Hogan additions coming
Hogan GS53 Max - Thank you www.TrueGolfFit.com

On 5/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, Middler said:

Not that I can see…where’s your link? And again you’ve ignored the OP’s “FEEL & forgiveness.” Now that I’ve looked at a picture of the Cleveland’s 😆

https://www.golfwrx.com/650887/best-irons-in-golf-of-2021-welcome-to-irons-week/

3DE21873-B9A3-42CD-9D50-CDE46EDFF455.png

Correction in double checking here is the review from Plugged In Golf clearly stating these Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo are  very forgiving and on point with our forum topic.   I quote for your reading pleasure.   ,..."CLEVELAND LAUNCHER HB TURBO IRONS ARE "VERY VERY FORGIVING"    🤣

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons Review

on January 13, 2020

Sound & Feel

Although the Launcher HB Turbo Iron head has a bulky look, the club had a well balanced feel with only a hint of head weight.  At impact, the solid feel in my hands matched the deep thwack my ears heard.  It took an enormous mishit to feel any significant feedback.

Performance

True to the bold forgiveness declaration from Cleveland, the Launcher HB Turbo irons are indeed super forgivingAny decent contact sent the ball high and straight.  This can be attributed in a large part to the HiBore profile which, along with being hollow, positions weight low and deep in the head.

With low spin and modest offset, the irons are also well suited to golfers trying to alleviate a slice.  Although the irons share the Turbo moniker with other clubs in the Launcher family, I did not find the face “hot” or “explosive”.  Distances were very consistent, but not attention grabbing.

Conclusion

The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons make it easy to keep the ball in play.  Golfers with slower swing speeds will enjoy getting the ball high in the air no matter how solid the strike.  The wide soles offer versatility for the non-tour conditions we all face on a routine basis.  Very, very forgiving.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:37 PM, RITZ said:

On 5/6/2021 at 11:11 PM, RITZ said:

Doesn’t say “most” or “#1” anywhere, but keep digging… 

https://pluggedingolf.com/cleveland-launcher-hb-turbo-irons-review/

25 minutes ago, RITZ said:

Correction in double checking here is the review from Plugged In Golf clearly stating these Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo are  very forgiving and on point with our forum topic.   I quote for your reading pleasure.   ,..."CLEVELAND LAUNCHER HB TURBO IRONS ARE "VERY VERY FORGIVING"    🤣

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons Review

on January 13, 2020

Sound & Feel

Although the Launcher HB Turbo Iron head has a bulky look, the club had a well balanced feel with only a hint of head weight.  At impact, the solid feel in my hands matched the deep thwack my ears heard.  It took an enormous mishit to feel any significant feedback.

Performance

True to the bold forgiveness declaration from Cleveland, the Launcher HB Turbo irons are indeed super forgivingAny decent contact sent the ball high and straight.  This can be attributed in a large part to the HiBore profile which, along with being hollow, positions weight low and deep in the head.

With low spin and modest offset, the irons are also well suited to golfers trying to alleviate a slice.  Although the irons share the Turbo moniker with other clubs in the Launcher family, I did not find the face “hot” or “explosive”.  Distances were very consistent, but not attention grabbing.

Conclusion

The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons make it easy to keep the ball in play.  Golfers with slower swing speeds will enjoy getting the ball high in the air no matter how solid the strike.  The wide soles offer versatility for the non-tour conditions we all face on a routine basis.  Very, very forgiving.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

If feel is #1 vs anything else... The Lynx Black Cat's from 2018 that I tested here felt better than anything I've ever hit. 

With KBS tour 90R and midsize Lamkin grips.   However, I put my JPX 825 Pros back in the bag.  Lower ball flight, slightly less of the trampoline effect feel when center struck, slightly less spin; but, much more distance consistency.  But they've got some mileage.  I'm considering the new MP20 HMB/MMC combo, all HMB, or some other Mizuno combo.  But I'd also like to try some others like P7's.  Check out all the Players distance irons offered.  Many have GI hulls with forged faces. 

Hollow body irons with urethane injected inside help with distance and feel.  But, it's not the only game in town.  Try everything.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I play the WIlson FG Tour V2 irons.  I bought these to make myself concentrate more on hitting the the center.  While they aren't as long as the Cobra F7's I had previously, I have found them not so hard to adjust to.  PW thru 7 I really have no issues with but when I get past that, my good contact % falls quite a lot.  I only carry 5-pw with a 3 and 4 hybrid.  I use a Speedzone Driver and my favorite in the bag are the Hogan Equalizer wedges.  They seem to gap perfectly with the wilson irons.  I am currently testing the Hogan PTX pro irons.  I'm due an upgrade.

• 1 month later...

I tried some game improvement irons (Callaway XR’s) for a few years and just couldn’t get the hang of them. Game was so inconsistent. Played Titleist 804’s back in the day and loved them. Recently fit into T100s, TR20 or CB-301. Went with the Miura CB-301. Great combo of distance and forgiveness. 5-GW. GAPR 4 iron. 

Mavrik Subzero @ 9.5 - Tensei AV Blue

Super Hybrid @ 19 - Atmos TS Blue 

GAPR @22 - KBS Hybrid

CB-301 5-PW, HB 50 - Oban CT-100

PM Grind 60 - Modus 115 Wedge

I’ll add to the echo chamber of JPX line. Just switched to JPX 921 Forged this year after playing a game improvement set for a while, and love love love love them. Hot metal pro is great too, I hit them in my fitting! 

:taylormade-small:Driver- Sim2 max; 60x rogue silver 

:cobra-small:3wood- cobra F9; 70x hzrds black 

:taylormade-small:Hybrid- taylormade burner 

:mizuno-small:4-G- JPX921 Forged; Nippon tour 120s 

:cleveland-small:54,58- Cleveland RTX-4

:ping-small:Putter- Ping anser 2 cadence TR

:ping-small:Bag: Ping Hoofer CL

:Snell:Ball: MTB-X

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 7:07 AM, Kanoito said:

My vote would go to the Mizuno JPX line over and over again. Different forgiveness levels to match your game and the same old Mizuno feel.

I'm late to this thread but found your post interesting.  We have similar bag setups and I just left my JPX919 Forged irons for PXG Gen 2 0311 P's, and I have to say that while I loved my Mizzys, the PXG's feel and play so much better......for ME.  Understand mileage may vary from player to player, but the performance and feel just seem superior and I'm a Mizuno fan boy.  Played MP32's until I wore the grooves off of them.

Obviously there's no right or wrong - just found this interesting.  

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X+ - Hzrdus Yellow S 60g
Fairway Woods: Callaway Mavrik 4-wood Project X - Cobra King 5-6 wood - Onam 
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 23 deg
Irons 4-GW: PXG 0311 P Gen 2 - TT Elevate Tour Stiff
Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50 deg - Mizuno S18 Gun Metal in 56 & 60 deg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 - SuperStroke Tour Traxion 2.0

Former Golf Magazine Equipment/Club Tester

Just bought a set of Srixon 585 irons that were used maybe 2-3 rounds after having some old Maltby UGI/SGI irons for 3 years. I can't believe the difference in feel and forgiveness that I have had with these so far. I knew that irons have more feel and workability as you go from UGI to SGI to GI to Conventional etc. but looking back I realize how dead the Maltby irons felt and how little feedback they gave. I would say that forgiveness is the same but since the Srixon irons have increased my distance and their feedback has made me a better ball striker, I have a great confidence with these and it feels amazing to have that along with a great look at address. The Maltby irons were okay but not for what I needed to get better, and I only paid maybe $100 more for the Srixon than the new Maltby irons 3 years ago.