TESTERS WANTED! ×

Senior shaft suggestions

I'm 66 with a driver swing speed between 77-84, my driver is a 204 gram Knuth 257 High Heat with a Fujikura Pro 2.0 5-S shaft. I'm hitting it all over the face, look for a shaft that could give more center hits and a little more control, to at least stay in between the tree line.  Thoughts, thanks

Duke K

Why do you think it is the shaft.  Taking lessons or working on skill improvement to get better face and path control?  How long is your driver?  Can you choke up and get better control; maybe driver is too long.  May not need senior shaft;  saw a fitting that resulted in a slow swing player hitting it best with an X shaft.  

I know it isn’t the answer you are looking for but the point is that just knowing swingspeed and driver head doesn’t provide information necessary to recommend a shaft.  The shaft you have is a good shaft and the only way to see if you can find a better shaft is to try them.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Why do you think it is the shaft.  Taking lessons or working on skill improvement to get better face and path control?  How long is your driver?  Can you choke up and get better control; maybe driver is too long.  May not need senior shaft;  saw a fitting that resulted in a slow swing player hitting it best with an X shaft.  

I know it isn’t the answer you are looking for but the point is that just knowing swingspeed and driver head doesn’t provide information necessary to recommend a shaft.  The shaft you have is a good shaft and the only way to see if you can find a better shaft is to try them.   

Nailed it. A senior flex shaft could make things worse because of further lack of control of the club.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree, first question I had was how long the shaft is. Stock off the shelf drivers are usually too long for most people.

There is also a chance that you’re inconsistent with how the shaft loads. Why dip from S to Senior? Regular might do the trick. That shaft is also on the heavier side. A lighter one might do the trick, or a different swingweight. So much goes into the right combination, not just flex. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

You need to make consistent contact with the center of the club face. It you need lessons to get there, then that's what you need to start with. Then you need to be fit to the proper shaft and loft of the driver.  I am a classic example of what make no sense on paper.  I play a 12 degree driver with a soft regular flex shaft on a Ping G400. My driver swing speed is in the mid 90's. This was the best combination for me during a fitting. Made no sense, but it was due to my angle of attack, tempo, and achieving the correct launch angle, ball speed, spin and carry distance. The numbers don't lie. So what was I going to lose by going with it. If it worked great if not maybe it would be a shaft swap or a head exchange. But the results on the course proved out. I hit about 230 and split almost every fairway. Also being in my 60's I'm pretty happy with this. I have realistic expectations. I know I'm never going to bomb a 300 yard drive. But you know the old saying. "The woods are full of long hitters!"

Now my fairway woods are regular flex and my irons are stiff flex. All fit to me, and that's the combination that gave me the best results.  There isn't a rule that says you are this age and swing this fast you need this!  But there is a rough guide line that a fitter can use to get you started. The magic is in getting the correct combination for your particulars. 

Again as stated previously there isn't a straight forward answer.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

15 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You need to make consistent contact with the center of the club face. It you need lessons to get there, then that's what you need to start with. Then you need to be fit to the proper shaft and loft of the driver.  I am a classic example of what make no sense on paper.  I play a 12 degree driver with a soft regular flex shaft on a Ping G400. My driver swing speed is in the mid 90's. This was the best combination for me during a fitting. Made no sense, but it was due to my angle of attack, tempo, and achieving the correct launch angle, ball speed, spin and carry distance. The numbers don't lie. So what was I going to lose by going with it. If it worked great if not maybe it would be a shaft swap or a head exchange. But the results on the course proved out. I hit about 230 and split almost every fairway. Also being in my 60's I'm pretty happy with this. I have realistic expectations. I know I'm never going to bomb a 300 yard drive. But you know the old saying. "The woods are full of long hitters!"

Now my woods are regular flex and my irons are stiff flex. All fit to me, and that's the combination that gave me the best results.  There isn't a rule that says you are this age and swing this fast you need this!  But there is a rough guide line that a fitter can use to get you started. The magic is in getting the correct combination for your particulars. 

Spot on - in my limited experience the shaft is just part of a complex equation. I have a similar SS to @Duke K and originally had a SR flex in my 410. Fitter put me into a R flex Alta and cut the shaft down 1/2".  This along with lessons and a lot of practice on making center contact is yielding results. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I also have a similar swing speed, and I can tell you that the shaft is not the only thing that determines center strike.  I can also tell you that hitting all over the club face doesn't mean you are in the trees.  I hit the ball all over the club face, but I am in the fairway most of the time.  I am a little more accurate with a stiffer, heavier shaft but I get my longest drives with a lighter club.  

The key to hitting straighter drives is lessons; the key to hitting your optimal drives is a properly fit driver to your swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am 70 and similar speed...back issues...went to a Sr. shaft but SHORTENED the shaft to 44 ½  -- started hitting it past all my younger buds and in the fairway.  Now, since back surgery I will not play until September...get properly fitted.

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

Duke - I'm 64 with 85-86 mph driver swing. Although I strike my irons in the same spot, I hit all over the face of my driver causing inconsistent distance and dispersion. I had a fitter put me into a counter balanced shaft and improved my strike immediately (and added 20+ yards). The problem was the low kick point of my old shaft did not match my swing tempo. I happen to have the Evenflow Riptide Blue 5.5 Reg but there are many similar counterbalanced shafts available.

Edited by Tony Johnson

Driver - Mizuno ST-X (RH Reg 10.5*)

Woods - Mizuno ST-Z (RH Reg Std)

Hybrid - Callaway Steelhead XR (RH Reg Std)

Irons - Mizuno JPX 921HM -(RH Reg Std)

Wedges - 54* Ping Glide 3.0 & 60* Cleveland CBX2

Putter - Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour

Well, I'm going to go in a completely different direction than the other answers. Mainly because I have the exact same Knuth driver.

I had two different professionals hit it for me after I couldn't figure out why I hit it so badly. Both had the exact same answer for me:

"This thing is a complete piece of s***. The head appears to be made from thin, cheap sheet metal. Throw it in the trash. Lesson learned."

I wouldn't spend another dime on it, and I certainly wouldn't bother trying (and buying) different shafts. It will be more money down the toilet.

I took mine to Goodwill.

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Now my fairway woods are regular flex and my irons are stiff flex. All fit to me, and that's the combination that gave me the best results.  There isn't a rule that says you are this age and swing this fast you need this!  But there is a rough guide line that a fitter can use to get you started. The magic is in getting the correct combination for your particulars. 

Yes!!  Lessons should be integrated with fitting and, moreover should not be enslaved to the launch monitor and related technology (are you listening, GolfTec?).  One good metric for an effective learning/improvement experience is the commitment of your teacher to your improvement and his/her courage to intuition.   Trial and error shaft/club tinkering and online tips can lead one down a primrose path of loss and abandonment. 

"Hit it hard. It's gotta lamd somewhere."

--Ben Hogan

Hello Duke - My SS is 85-90mph and I play the Fuji Pro 2.0 6 in R flex in my SIM 3 wood, F9 17* and F9 21* HYB.

Maybe taking it down a notch in flex will help.  The shaft in my SIM is money!  Straight as an arrow.  

In my SIM2 driver I have a Atmos Patriot 5 R.   Hope this helps and hit them straight!

If your hitting it all over the face with different shot patterns, then it's time to see your golf pro.  Getting your swing checked may be the issue.  Then, you can identify if you need an equipment change.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

I am 79 yrs old with a driver swg spd of 79-82 mph.  I hit a Tour Edge EXS 220 driver with a Fujikura Air Speeder 40 shaft with an R flex.  This club/ shaft was recommended by MGS’s TrueGolfFit system.  It was and continues to be a great fit.  However, I have found that if I choke up approx. 1” I have more center hits on the club face.  Current driver length is 45 1/4” and I choke down to about 44” and the hits are definitely better.

18A751BA-9D76-4A69-8E0F-398EE94B7054.jpeg

Well if he's hitting it all over the face then it may be too long, try a 44". I'd also agree that a senior shaft may not be the right way to go either, try just a regular shaft, yeah I know who's regular as regular is not always regular. As far as lessons go, I'd be careful there, "some" of these so-called instructors don't know sh!t when it comes to giving "proper" swing lessons. But they sure like your money, ha-ha. As far a head goes, if you're not a big hitter to begin with just find yourself an older M1 or M3, those will work just fine for you. Now you're asking yourself what loft, don't automatically assume a 12 or 10.5* because a 9 or 9.5 might be what you need. Learn to hit up on the ball and get a 9 or 9.5.

Just my 2 cents.

7 minutes ago, Fjd said:

I am 79 yrs old with a driver swg spd of 79-82 mph.  I hit a Tour Edge EXS 220 driver with a Fujikura Air Speeder 40 shaft with an R flex.  This club/ shaft was recommended by MGS’s TrueGolfFit system.  It was and continues to be a great fit.  However, I have found that if I choke up approx. 1” I have more center hits on the club face.  Current driver length is 45 1/4” and I choke down to about 44” and the hits are definitely better.

Great for you Fjd, I heard the EXS220 was a nice driver head. Get some spare head weights(for swing weighting) from TE and cut that sucker down to 44".

A lot of good comments here. I agree (1) take a lesson from a pro that you trust and (2) find a club fitter. I am 68 and trying to find a way to get my swing speed up. It is currently 85-87. I game a M6 with the Fuji Atmos Black 5R that I cut an inch off, based on what a guy at GolfTec told me. I hit it in the middle, but think I hit it in the middle at the full length, and the swing-weight is like C5. I am going to a fitting at PGASS to see if a different shaft/length/head will help me get back to 90+.  This fitter fit me for my Wilson D7 irons and they are working well for me.

1 minute ago, lefty110golf said:

A lot of good comments here. I agree (1) take a lesson from a pro that you trust and (2) find a club fitter. I am 68 and trying to find a way to get my swing speed up. It is currently 85-87. I game a M6 with the Fuji Atmos Black 5R that I cut an inch off, based on what a guy at GolfTec told me. I hit it in the middle, but think I hit it in the middle at the full length, and the swing-weight is like C5. I am going to a fitting at PGASS to see if a different shaft/length/head will help me get back to 90+.  This fitter fit me for my Wilson D7 irons and they are working well for me.

the actual swing weight number doesn't matter, what matters is can you feel the head. If you can't feel the head then you need to add weight to it until you can feel the head when you swing it. well getting a lighter club will help you swing it faster, but getting your muscles to react to help you swing it faster is what you want. I would suggest doing some kettlebell swings, pick a weight you can handle safely for 5 sets of 5 to 10 swings. Work up to numbers and over time your body will get used to moving that KB and in turn your swing will pick up some speed, but it won't happen overnight and it won't happen if you don't do the exercise. A couple times a week is fine.

Totally agree with other comments - I am 67yo and am using a Ping G400 Max reg with a shorter Ping Alta shaft.

Never hit my driver sooo good - the shorter shaft gives me a chance to square up the club face easier than all those drivers that have gone before me.

People need to understand that fitting is key component of the golf swing 

DO IT and you'll be surprised - don't fall into the trap of listening to your buddies ie; get a senior shaft 

Pay little heed to the shaft's reported A/R/S/X designation.  Pay more attention to how well you hit it.  I'm 69 and play a Ping Alta Stiff shaft with a swing speed of 85-90ish.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

You might try choking up with your driver as a start. Usually, there is more control with a shorter shaft. I have the same shaft in my Ping G400 Max, playing at 45". Just changing the shaft might not be the answer. If it has an adjustable hosel, you could try changing the loft, up or down. fwiw, I lowered my ball flight by increasing the loft of my 9 degree head to 10.5. 

22 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Duke - I'm 64 with 85-86 mph driver swing. Although I strike my irons in the same spot, I hit all over the face of my driver causing inconsistent distance and dispersion. I had a fitter put me into a counter balanced shaft and improved my strike immediately (and added 20+ yards). The problem was the low kick point of my old shaft did not match my swing tempo. I happen to have the Evenflow Riptide Blue 5.5 Reg but there are many similar counterbalanced shafts available.

Thanks, gives me something to think about and ask.

Duke K

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am 68 who uses a Ping G400 Max with a stock Alta CB R shaft. I may not hit it as far as before but my gosh it is a fairway finder.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist