Senior shaft suggestions

Duke K

I have been foolishly thinking I need a Sr shaft due to my age (61). I had a Sr Alta Shaft in my Ping 3 wood. Needed to cut it down to make it work. Recently, I tried an Air Speeder R with a high torque and it was too whippy. Now, I am trying a Ventus Red Regular. 

• Like 1

Totally agree with other comments - I am 67yo and am using a Ping G400 Max reg with a shorter Ping Alta shaft.

Never hit my driver sooo good - the shorter shaft gives me a chance to square up the club face easier than all those drivers that have gone before me.

People need to understand that fitting is key component of the golf swing 

DO IT and you'll be surprised - don't fall into the trap of listening to your buddies ie; get a senior shaft 

• Like 3

Pay little heed to the shaft's reported A/R/S/X designation.  Pay more attention to how well you hit it.  I'm 69 and play a Ping Alta Stiff shaft with a swing speed of 85-90ish.

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 19* and 24* -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3* up

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 52*, 56* and 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX  

:Arccos:

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

You might try choking up with your driver as a start. Usually, there is more control with a shorter shaft. I have the same shaft in my Ping G400 Max, playing at 45". Just changing the shaft might not be the answer. If it has an adjustable hosel, you could try changing the loft, up or down. fwiw, I lowered my ball flight by increasing the loft of my 9 degree head to 10.5. 

22 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Duke - I'm 64 with 85-86 mph driver swing. Although I strike my irons in the same spot, I hit all over the face of my driver causing inconsistent distance and dispersion. I had a fitter put me into a counter balanced shaft and improved my strike immediately (and added 20+ yards). The problem was the low kick point of my old shaft did not match my swing tempo. I happen to have the Evenflow Riptide Blue 5.5 Reg but there are many similar counterbalanced shafts available.

Thanks, gives me something to think about and ask.

• Like 1

Duke K

• 1 month later...

More information for your comments.  The swing weight is C9.  The shaft is NZ+ (ZZ Lite) stiff steel.  I want graphite, more weight, .355 and R flex.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...