TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is ‘heads up’ putting and should you be doing it?

Interesting article on golf.com about putting technique....
I always seem to come back to comparing things to basketball since that's the sport I've played the most in my life.
When I shoot free throws I don't look down while dribbling before shooting; I'm always looking at the rim. Not sure why I don't do the same when putting. Looking at the target longer has been proven to have more success. I'm going to start trying this. BTW: I know that Spieth does this and has for some time now. 🙂 

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/heads-up-putting-technique/

Welcome to Play Smart, a game-improvement column that drops every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from Director of Game Improvement content Luke Kerr-Dineen to help you play smarter, better golf.

A few years ago, down in Pinehurst for the GOLF Top 100 Teachers Summit, I capped the event by playing a twilight nine with an eightsome around The Cradle. It was one of those classic twilight rounds that live long in the memory, but for as wonderful as The Cradle is in itself (and it really is wonderful), it wasn’t the golf course I remember most.

ezgif-3-bb5cef6209dd.gif  

Rather, It was the putting performance of one of my playing partners that evening: Dr. Sasho Mackenzie, an influential biomechanist in the golf space who dropped putts from all over the place using his “heads up” putting technique. Rather than looking at the ball during his putting stroke, Sasho’s head and eyes remained fixed ahead of him — which more often than not gave a first-hand look at the ball dropping into the hole.

Sasho, who you can and should follow on Twitter right here, published a study in 2017 which found that golfers who adopted the heads-up technique were more successful than golfers who didn’t. It’s been slowly making its way on Tour ever since, and with my putting needing a reboot before the summer, I decided to give heads-up putting a go in my own game.

I’ve been putting “heads up” for about a month now, and I must say: It’s been awesome. Really awesome, actually. I’m making a lot more putts — especially between 8 and 15 feet — and I feel more comfortable, too. It’s going to take a lot for me to go back to my old way of putting, and with the evangelical zeal of a new convert, I wanted to share a few of the things I’ve learned in case you’re now curious enough to make the switch, too…

GettyImages-1272849317ggg.jpg

1. Feel it, don’t force it

So you want to try heads-up putting. That’s great! My first and most important piece of advice is to not force it. Don’t make yourself look at the hole on every putt. Start by looking at the hole on your practice strokes, and then eventually on short putts. If you feel like you don’t want to look at the hole on certain putts, that’s ok. Look at the ball instead. Don’t set hard-and-fast rules for yourself. Tony Finau says he looks at the hole when he feels like it, and that’s it. It really doesn’t need to be more complicated than that. I started that way, but found since that I like the feel of it so much that I end up looking at the hole on 95 percent of putts. There’s only one exception…

2. I look down on the longest putts

I look at the hole on basically every putt at this point — except on my very longest putts. And by that, I mean those putts ranging about 50 feet or longer. The reason I look at the ball on those isn’t by choice; it’s because those putts require a longer backstroke, which pulls my head back down. It all falls back into Tony Finau’s “feel it, don’t force” advice.

side-by-side.gif

3. It tightens my focus

Lots of different studies have shown the importance of “quiet eye” putting. Translation: The best putters in golf have the tightest focus. They don’t look at the golf ball, they look at a dimple on the golf ball, and keep their eyes fixed there throughout their stroke. Worse putters tend to focus all over the place: They don’t just look at the entire golf ball, but also the area around it.

Ultimately, I think that’s why the technique seems to work for me. Because looking up has the effect of lasering me in on a specific spot. When I look at the ball, I’m not as focused.

4. Don’t only look at the hole

This is a super important point. On breaking putts, don’t look at the hole. Look at the point where the putt will break off. On putts without a severe break, I’ve found success looking at the entry portions of the hole: The left edge, for instance, or the back of the cup.

Remember that looking up isn’t the same as looking at the hole, so pick a specific spot.

putts.jpg

5. Stroke toward your spot

One of the great things about heads-up putting is how free it makes you feel during your stroke. It helps you create a relationship with your target, which is something you should embrace. With that in mind: Once you settle on a spot, think about stroking toward it. The same way would wouldn’t look at the ball while you’re bowling. You’re letting your arms float toward where you want the ball to go.

6. Watch your speed control

The only real negative I’ve found with heads-up putting is that I tend to putt really aggressively this way. I feel more free, and hit putts harder because of it. It’s nothing a little practice can’t solve, but keep an eye on it if you adopt this technique.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I heard Gary McCord on PGA Tour Radio talk about Finau's feel looking at the hole.  He said NOBODY can putt that way!!  I beg to differ.  I've been putting this way since 2015.  The advice above is spot on.  Start with short putts until it feels comfortable, then slowly move back.  I had poor speed control before I started "heads up" putting, but it made speed control a strength for me.  Yes, basketball, horseshoes, darts, all use your eyes on the target, and putting this way made sense to me.  I didn't find that I putted "aggressively", but I did leave fewer putts short, which is a good thing!!

If you have to look at the ball to make sure you hit the ball squarely on a stroke as short as a putt, then something is wrong with your stroke.  A ball lined up to the target line, and putter lined up and square to the ball is all I need.  Just for giggles I tried once to go back and putt looking at the ball... must have forgotten how far away the hole was!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is awesome thanks for sharing. I’m taking this to golf practice tomorrow and having the kids try it. Putting is the missing piece to us having a really special season!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Thanks for posting this article.  I first started using this technique back when I saw Jordan Spieth doing it, and it worked pretty well, but like @StrokerAce I noticed that I was hitting it too far (aggressive) past the hole, if I missed.  But I also got better with speed the more I practiced.  However, I don't use this technique consistently enough to say that I'm 100% in.  I do like to use it on very long putts though, as it helps me to know that I'm not going to be 8' short.  I will also say that this article has made me want to go practice it more and see if I should use it again. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I found once you have 30+ foot putts and are swinging the putter past your trail leg, there was a higher chance of not striking the sweet spot with a bigger stroke. 10-20ft and in, it is nice (as well as having your neck turned 45 degrees which is awkward as someone who like to hunch over). Looking at the target seems to be a personal preference and comfort thing, but definitely worth a shot especially if you are struggling. 

I found more success using a counting routine(1-2-3-4) modified from David McKenzie (Golf State of Mind) to get rid of mechanical thoughts or ball focus, which has been more successful than not looking at the ball. After you take your address position and align the putter face, count with a steady tempo:
1 - look at target, 2 - look back to spot on ball, 3 - backswing, 4 - forward swing to impact

Target is fresh in your mind, no hesitation starting stroke, and the rhythm of the count can help smooth out your stroke. Can also play around with breathing and do the whole routine during 1 long, smooth exhale. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

I found once you have 30+ foot putts and are swinging the putter past your trail leg, there was a higher chance of not striking the sweet spot with a bigger stroke. 10-20ft and in, it is nice (as well as having your neck turned 45 degrees which is awkward as someone who like to hunch over). Looking at the target seems to be a personal preference and comfort thing, but definitely worth a shot especially if you are struggling. 

I found more success using a counting routine(1-2-3-4) modified from David McKenzie (Golf State of Mind) to get rid of mechanical thoughts or ball focus, which has been more successful than not looking at the ball. After you take your address position and align the putter face, count with a steady tempo:
1 - look at target, 2 - look back to spot on ball, 3 - backswing, 4 - forward swing to impact

Target is fresh in your mind, no hesitation starting stroke, and the rhythm of the count can help smooth out your stroke. Can also play around with breathing and do the whole routine during 1 long, smooth exhale. 

I've been working on this "Heads up" style during my free time today (I have a putting green in the back yard), and I've found that I'm very inconsistent speed wise (mostly aggressive) on 15-20' putts, but 6' and in, I would say I make 97% of those.

I like what you said about the counting method, I've used a metronome in the past to make sure I have good tempo, but I think that tempo and this "Heads up" method can be used simultaneously. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I will also add that I don't use a pendulum motion for my putting stroke.  I started that way, but seemed to leave a lot of putts short.  Sometimes I seem to revert to this stroke, and notice it when a putt that I thought was stroked hard enough comes up short.  I use more of a piston-style motion with very little followthrough, sort of like Brandt Snedeker's pop stroke.  I liken it to the basketball shot where you use more wrist acceleration for longer shots.  On a long putt I don't take a much bigger backswing, but adjust the energy to the ball by using my right arm and holding the wrist cock.  When I practice, I do one-handed putts with my trail (right) hand similar to Tiger's putting drill to ensure I keep that face square, and don't rotate my body (an issue Monte pointed out that I didn't know).

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Tried this today and holy cow I have never made more putts. My distance was great on short to medium and long putts were either on or a little long. Clearing mind on contact. I can actually feel where it hits on the face now too. I am gonna keep trying this. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I use this style a lot when I play. I find that when I look down at the ball I cannot for the life of me keep my head still. I follow the club head back and then strike it poorly. But when I look at my target my arms move more freely. I also believe that my body is smarter than my brain when it comes to distance control. I heard it said once that putting is a very athletic motion. Think of it as if I am throwing or rolling a ball to that spot. My body just knows about how hard to throw it. I use this mental thought when looking at longer putts (how hard would I need to toss the ball, then putt with that arm speed in mind). 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

On 5/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, BMart519 said:

I really like a set up like this. I generally take 3 practice stokes looking at the hole. The set up, visualize the put falling in for a 3 count and then look back at the ball and stroke. Keeps the target fresh and feels a bit more comfortable. Though I can't make fewer putts right now so I will try just about anything.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 1 month later...

Started heads up putting in my last few rounds and while it is a bit uncomfortable my speed control (typically a weakness) was greatly improved. 1 3 putt in last several rounds and I have made several putts over 25 ft which seemed almost impossible. My fear was that with my head up I would start pushing my putts right but that has not been the case. I also worried about center face contact but that hasn't been an issue (yet). I had several putts from 45-55 ft and they were all solid and easily down in 2. 

With traditional putting I would do my practice strokes and then address the ball and immediately lose the feel for distance. Now I almost feel like (and did several times) I don't even need a practice stroke. It is like throwing horseshoes or shooting a jumper. See target and your athleticism takes over. I play with a regular group and I didn't say anything and no one even really noticed I was looking at the hole but two people said, "you were lights out putting today." Hahaha. Maybe if I started putting one handed they would notice?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 5/12/2021 at 8:24 AM, rbsiedsc said:

Tried this today and holy cow I have never made more putts. My distance was great on short to medium and long putts were either on or a little long. Clearing mind on contact. I can actually feel where it hits on the face now too. I am gonna keep trying this. 

You WERE watching me, weren't you?  😂

Are you still doing it?  Or did you give it up?  It took me quite awhile to get used to it from all distances, but I was so terrible before so I had nothing to lose, and I kept doing it.

56 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

You WERE watching me, weren't you?  😂

Are you still doing it?  Or did you give it up?  It took me quite awhile to get used to it from all distances, but I was so terrible before so I had nothing to lose, and I kept doing it.

I do it from 10 ft and in. I’ve duffed too many putts from further or had too much steam behind them. Actually I didn’t watch you since I recall you missing many putts. 😂 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

41 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I do it from 10 ft and in. I’ve duffed too many putts from further or had too much steam behind them. Actually I didn’t watch you since I recall you missing many putts. 😂 

C'mon man!  Give me a break!  Unfamiliar greens.