Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Converting to a push cart

Between playing and caddying starting in the mid 1980sn I'm not sure how many rounds I carried. Most of those rounds were pre-backpack strap bags and lots of heavy, leather tour bags owned by wealthy 15+ handicappers with extra clubs, the very early bag phones and tons of balls.  Carrying has messed up my posture and back. My right shoulder is noticeably lower when I look in a mirror. Pull carts are awful and when push carts came out it seemed like a gimmick. Pride that I still carried was also a factor. Back pain led me to give one a shot and I haven't carried since. Still love walking the course and now my back also loves it again.

Short game savant, driving disaster...

I am 46 and have been a proud member of #PushCartMafia since the mid 1990's.  Search the hashtag for some interesting follows on Twitter and Instagram.  Work smarter, not harder!

If I remember correctly. my first cart was a Christmas gift from my brother when I was 19 years old.  I think it came from K-Mart.  I noticed immediately that I liked it better than carrying.  It was rickety and cheap so it didn't last very long.  I have had everything from Bag Boy to ClicGear since.  I currently have a ClicGear 3.0 that I have used 5 or 6 days a week for over a decade.

I love my push cart.  Got it a couple months ago.  Somewhat worried because at my home course the holes can be spaced out quite a distance.  If you stay on the cart path, it's just over five miles.  First time out, it was great.  Honestly, believe walking was easier on my body than bumping up and down in a cart all day.  Anytime I can use my push cart I do.  

WITB - Currently hitting PXG 0211s, irons, driver and putter.  Cleveland wedges.  Love golf, wish I was better at it than I am.  Try to play at least one time a week and get to the range or some other type of practice, putting, chipping a couple times a week.  

Much like everyone else, I got mine when Covid first shut everything down.  I have a Clicgear and I love it.  The main thing for me was how easy and small it is to fold down.  This thing is super rugged and durable yet folds down super compact.  I like this.  Now, does it have tons of storage...no.  It has a small basket by the handle and a compartment that you can put balls, keys and your range finder if you choose.  What is also nice, I went to a larger bag (hybrid) so I don't need more cart storage since I now have more than enough room in my bag for bulkier items.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

In case you need more urging, do it.  I have a 3 wheeler, Rovic Clic.  Get a lightweight cart and/or check the bearings, you want hi quality free rolling wheels, not yesterday's version of a wheel.  I chose a 3 wheel, I didn't want the extra weight of a 4 wheeler.  The Clic has a swivel front wheel.  It is not an advantage on most courses, I think only on a very hilly course might the swivel vs. fixed front wheel help.  I wish I could keep the bag attached, like on the old fashion 2 wheel fold-in-half, but I am happy with Clic.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, Highfade77 said:

•  
I am thinking about switching to a push cart.  I currently play 3 times a week and carry my clubs.  My current bag is the Ping Hoofer Lite bag.  My 4 ball partner uses a push cart he is 5 years younger then me.  I an 54 he is 49.  He swears by his push cart and often pokes fun at me for carrying.  

My questions are as follows.

What was the key factor in the decision to switch to the push cart? Not have any pain between my shoulders from carrying my clubs.

What are the push carts that are on the market that made the transition easier? Personally, I have gone to an electric walking cart. Push carts are also great.

Thanks

Highfade77

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 5/4/2021 at 12:38 PM, Highfade77 said:

What was the key factor in the decision to switch to the push cart?

What are the push carts that are on the market that made the transition easier?

In my case, I had been carrying my golf bag from a single sling to double crossed shoulder bag.  In the earlier days, there were no light weigh bags and no built in bag stand.  I remembered I had to buy an attachment bag stand for my golf bag.

Anyhow, the reason I had switched to my first push cart was the ease of operation than the pull cart.  Mostly because of the shoulders were sore and my back was hurting after carrying the golf bag on the golf course.  I remembered the year I just turned 43.  

There are more options for the push cart on the market today than back then which had only two major players in the market place, namely, the SunMountain  and the Bolfboy.   If I were to shop all over again, I would consider several factors.  What type of terrain the push cart has to endure.  the total weight of the cart ( have to lift it onto and out of the back of my transportation twice , once at home and once at the golf course ).  The transporting size is a major consideration and the durability since I'd be expecting to keep it for many years.

Finally the price, I'm a miser on everything.  My current push cart was a ClicGear 3 which I bought years ago with the Holiday promotion.  Except it was a bit heavier than other makes, I had no complain.  I guess there is a tossup between the total weight and the material it is constructed with for durability.  Some other makes have a better roll ( with ball bearings in the wheel hub and air inflated tires ), but they have a higher maintenance history.

My eyes are on the ones powered by lithium battery and will follow me like my dog on the golf course.  My wife knows that and she probably will surprise me someday with it.

At my home club, standing on the 10th tee up on the hill behind the clubhouse, the entire front side of the golf course is visible. I counted 24 push carts on the front nine Friday afternoon. 

I’d be willing to bet, there were that many on the back. 

• 1 month later...

I completely agree with most everyone here... I'm 37 and have been using a cart since I found one at a rummage sale 10 years ago... why put the wear and tear on your body when you can use a push/pull cart? Especially when you can find them used all over the place for ridiculously cheap... 

I'm a thrifter so it's hard to pass up a good deal on anything let alone used golf equipment...

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!

I switched to a push cart about two years ago for posture purposes and have not looked back. Most things have been discussed on this thread but I will say that you don't want to cheap out on the cart and buy some of the cheaper sub $100 options (unless you're looking at used). Not that they are bad but if you use it regularly, the nicer ones are worth it. The one feature that I really like is having the wheel brake on the handle and not the foot operated one on the inside of the wheel. Having the brake on the handle is easier and it prevents having to do a weird maneuver to reach for the brake. I also strongly suggest you try them in a store to get a feel for how easy they are to open and close and to get an idea of each carts footprint. I personally have the BagBoy Quad and really like it. The four wheel models are far more stable on hilly courses over most three wheel models. 

I have a 2 wheeled, a 3 wheeled and a 4 wheeled push cart.  The biggest thing for me personally is space.  The 2 and 3 just fold in half, so it takes up extra space in my garage or in my Chevy.  My Quad XL folds twice so it saves space .  I switched to walking back in 2014 and love it.  

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3