Wedge Groove Sharpener

I am probably going to order a new set of wedges soon, but has anyone used one of these groove sharpeners to bring new life to old wedges?  Do they actually work?  Any drawbacks?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS1PRK5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Driver- Cobra Fly-Z+ 10*

Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*

Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 

Irons- Taylormade RSi2, 5-PW

Wedges- Acer XB, 50*, 54* and 58*

Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)

... They work very well on raw wedges. They also work well on chrome wedges but the grooves and face will start to rust because you are striping the chrome from the grooves. Some care and some do not depending on the age and shape the wedge is in. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Limited 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Also keep an eye out on what type of grooves. Golfworks, for example, have a pre and post 2010 groove sharpener.

:cobra-small: King SZ Xtreme 7.5*, Accra FX100 M3 44" 2g weight + 10g Heel Tape
:cobra-small: King Big Tour 3-Wood 12.5*, Accra FX100 M3 42.5"
:cobra-small: F9+ 17.5*, Accra FX100 M3 40.5"/ :cobra-small: Utility Iron 2 @ 17.5* 39.25:
:cobra-small: King F8 OL 4-7, KBS Tour 90 Regular 36"
:cobra-small: King F8 OL 8-PW, KBS Tour 105 Regular 36"
:cobra-small: King F8 OL GW-LW KBS 610 Wedge Regular 36"

Lajosi-White2.jpg Custom DD201WB Armlock (450g, 8*, 72* Upright, 40"), BGT Stability Shaft
 :bridgestone-small: 2021 e12 Contact

On 5/4/2021 at 4:19 PM, PBH3 said:

I am probably going to order a new set of wedges soon, but has anyone used one of these groove sharpeners to bring new life to old wedges?  Do they actually work?  Any drawbacks?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS1PRK5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve tried one. It definitely adds zip to worn wedges, but I underestimated how laborious the process was and wouldn’t recommend the purchase. 

• Like 2

Ball mark: Kraken Golf (Revolver)

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 (#45)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER3

60/54: :titelist-small: SM8 w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

GW-4i: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

7w: :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

5w: :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

Driver: :taylormade-small: M1 with Veylix Arcane

1 hour ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

I’ve tried one. It definitely adds zip to worn wedges, but I underestimated how laborious the process was and wouldn’t recommend the purchase. 

I agree that I too underestimated the amount of elbow geese this needed, lol. But it did help with extending the life of my wedges. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

These definitely help with worn grooves but, as others have noted, there's some effort involved in this process. I'd also mention some care and attention to detail are warranted as well. Take your time and be prepared to put some muscle into it and you could bring old wedges back to life.

I would recommend this guy to anyone.  I sent him two Cleveland CG 12 RTG DSG wedges and he refurbished them with raw faces and amazing fresh grooves.  Total price for two wedges $46 plus shipping.  They came out great and in only 2 weeks.

Jim Kronus
President
The Iron Factory
7615 N 75th Ave Suite 105 | Glendale, AZ 85303
P: 970-245-2444
cleardot.gif

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 * Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Maverick 15*  19*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Maverick 4 Hybrid Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

PXG Gen 3 0311 P 5-Gap  Fujikura Pro 75 REG pure

Cleveland CG 12 RTG DSG  54/10 & 58/10  Refurbished with raw faces and legal grooves

Putter: Scotty Camron Special Select Fastback 1.5  Stock pistol grip 34" w/Stability shaft

Ball: Pro V1x 

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I've had a groove sharpener for a couple of years; it seemed to work well on my lob (60*) wedge and old sand wedge. As mentioned above, be sure to tape off the edges. Prior to "grooving", I put a very light mist of WD40 to ease the elbow grease, so you may want to do this over an old golf towel. With my first experience, I was a bit zealous with the cleaning. When finished, I ran my finger over my SW grooves and felt a little burring. My next couple of rounds looked like my balls went through a box grater 🤣 but things were back to normal in 3-4 rounds.

I haven't used The Iron Factory yet, but I think I would have a pro shop with power equip do it instead of a hand held.  From what I understand, Iron Factory actually mills out material from the bottom of the groove, re-establishing the original depth.  The hand helds just act on the side walls.  ??? 

Driver  Callaway Epic on Recoil F2 (senior) flex

Three wood is TM Burner Superfast 3.0 on M (mature) flex

3H Old Adams A3OS red boxster on stock Graffaloy Platinum reg shaft

3 MP 18 MMC and 4 GFF hybrid Mizuno irons

5 Mizu hybrid Fli-hi

6 - W Ping I 500 irons on Recoil F3 reg flex shafts

Wedges:  Mizuno blue 52 09, 60 06, and old original Hogan Sure-out 56 14 sand

Chipper (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin Up n In bronze 

Putter Musty wood mallet, sometimes switch with my Scotty Cameron Futura X counter weight face balanced

On 5/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, Mackdaddy9 said:
I would recommend this guy to anyone.  I sent him two Cleveland CG 12 RTG DSG wedges and he refurbished them with raw faces and amazing fresh grooves.  Total price for two wedges $46 plus shipping.  They came out great and in only 2 weeks.

Jim Kronus
President
The Iron Factory
7615 N 75th Ave Suite 105 | Glendale, AZ 85303
P: 970-245-2444
cleardot.gif

Thanks for posting this.....I know where my wedges are going next winter to get their groove on!  I wonder if they can somehow scan and match the personal grind that has evolved on my old Clevelands into a new set of Kronus wedges?!?!

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

If you really want to restore life to your wedges, give the clubface a hit with some form of blasting media, like Aluminum Oxide.  This is the suggestion Tom Wishon offered many times in answer to this question.

Really, grooves aren't the primary cause of spin, face texture is what will get it done.  The first tests of grooveless clubfaces produced more spin than the test clubs with grooves.  

• Like 1

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5" -or- King LTD, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; TBD iron set, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5, Kirkland Signature 3pc v2