TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron length and height

I built a set of irons and soft stepped them so the irons are playing around .75 inches too long. I’m 5’7” and fitting charts say I should be standard or even a quarter inch short on irons. The thing is, I seem to be hitting it really well with the longer length. I planned to just choke up and try these irons as is but I find myself not choking up. Now the swing weight for the irons is D6 because of their length and I thought choking up would have them play more like D2. Now I can’t decide if I like the longer length or maybe it’s the D6. Would it be crazy to play a longer iron at my height?

• Driver: Mizuno ST200 10.5 w/ Nippon Regio Formula MB+ 65X (backup is a Wishon 919 F/D mini driver w/ UST V2 Black 6F5)
  • Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18.5* w/ UST V2 Black 7F5
  • 4 Hybrid: Callaway X2 Hot Pro 23* w/ Modus 125X (soft stepped)
  • Irons: 5-PW Maltby TE Forged w/ Modus 125X (soft stepped)
  • Wedge: 52* and 58* Maltby TSW Forged w/ Modus 125X (soft stepped) and DG Wedge Flex
  • Putter: Tommy Armour Impact 3 CB
  • Bag: Shapland Stand Bag

If you feel like you’re making consistent contact in the middle of the face I wouldn’t change anything. Get some foot spray and see if there’s a nice pattern of where you’re striking the ball. If it’s all over the place I’d say you may want to try bringing the length down a bit, but if it’s good I wouldn’t change it.

A lot of the current feeling on fittings is that height doesn’t matter so much as wrist to floor, and even that is just a starting point. If you’ve got short arms or keep your swing super close to your body longer irons will be the right fit, whereas long arms and an extended swing would typically see someone fit into standard or even short clubs. I had a golfer who was 6’4” that played standard length shafts because he had gorilla arms. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter