Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Buying driver without fitting

Hi everybody

I live in an area where I have no access to a decent fitting and am also not allowed to test clubs (remote Norway). Does anybody have any advice on how I could get a remote/online fitting? I have tried the mygolfspy driver fitting page, but was not 100% convinced to be honest.

Many Thanks

Daniel 

20 minutes ago, Daniel_Norway said:

Hi everybody

I live in an area where I have no access to a decent fitting and am also not allowed to test clubs (remote Norway). Does anybody have any advice on how I could get a remote/online fitting? I have tried the mygolfspy driver fitting page, but was not 100% convinced to be honest.

Many Thanks

Daniel 

TXG offers remote fittings I believe. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

15 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

TXG offers remote fittings I believe. 

They do, or if you subscribe to them via youtube and such they can do all sorts. It certainly helps if you know some of your numbers and your swings tendencies. They offer a ton of great advice and I believe the fitting membership costs around 25 cad per month which can be cancelled whenever you like. I sent a bunch of Arccos information to them and they were able to dive in and recommend a product for me. Although I didn't end up purchasing as I am waiting on a few other things in life it was a great experience and I would highly recommend. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Do you know your swing speed? If not, you can estimate it based on your honest average driver distance which will tell you what flex to choose. You’re not going to get the same fitting results remotely without some accurate data. Is there a pro where you play, ask him/her for guidance. Maybe ask here https://www.facebook.com/mizunogolfnorge/

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Hi Middler (and thanks all for answering). Swing speed is 95-100 mph (however I have a really really short shaft in my driver at moment). I have a swing fla though, which I am working on, which causes me to hit too much up on the ball which generates really high ballflight with tons of spin (3000-4000)...

23 minutes ago, Daniel_Norway said:

Hi Middler (and thanks all for answering). Swing speed is 95-100 mph (however I have a really really short shaft in my driver at moment). I have a swing fla though, which I am working on, which causes me to hit too much up on the ball which generates really high ballflight with tons of spin (3000-4000)...

I’m not the expert here, and you’re not claiming otherwise, but I don’t believe any shaft or ball will overcome driver spin of 3000-4000, that’s pretty high. Best of luck with working on your swing, like all of us…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

20 minutes ago, Middler said:

I’m not the expert here, and you’re not claiming otherwise, but I don’t believe any shaft or ball will overcome driver spin of 3000-4000, that’s pretty high. Best of luck with working on your swing, like all of us…

It is never the "indian" 🙂 - But you are right - I think however that I am much better now, but because of COVID cannot get on simulator to check my numbers...

1 hour ago, Daniel_Norway said:

I could be mistaken but I was always under the impression that hitting up on the ball resulted in lower spin. Like @Middlerim no expert and haven’t ever been professionally fit myself but most high spin players have a negative aoa with the driver. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 minute ago, blackngold_blood said:

I could be mistaken but I was always under the impression that hitting up on the ball resulted in lower spin. Like @Middlerim no expert and haven’t ever been professionally fit myself but most high spin players have a negative aoa with the driver. 

I was under the same impression, but hitting up and catching the bottom part of the club head consistently could result in that. I also really struggle with higher spin rates, but I believe I need to tee the ball a little higher. TXG recommended a G410 (last season) with a counter balanced shaft to help get some more feel for the club head and it's location... maybe this can be something @Daniel_Norwaycan look into. 
Btw do you have arccos or shot scope where you can send in some of the on course data to help with a online fitting?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Just now, blackngold_blood said:

I agree l, the backspin should be lower when hitting up, but I believe this may be a dynamic loft situation (angle of attack + club loft) that may be causing too much spin. @Daniel_Norway what is the loft on your current driver? Also, by “better”, what do you mean ( better contact, strainer flight, higher swing speed)?

Obsessed with the game

Not trying to be a doubter just asking questions because sometimes perception isn’t reality - so I have no doubt that you believe what you are telling us to be true.

So the obvious question is how do you know that your spin rate is 3,500-4,000 if you can’t get on a simulator?

Also every good fitter that I know will say that the overwhelming majority of amateurs don’t launch the ball high enough even those who think that they launch it high.  Even the good players among us tend to launch the ball too low  from driver down to 9 iron and way too high with our wedges.

if you’re going to pay full retail driver is a significant investment - you could also consider purchasing a personal LM like rapsodo or mevo - mevo does give doin rate as a data point although I understand it’s not entirely accurate - I suspect you could get good enough data for a reasonable spin rate guess with it though.  Either way you’d have a helpful practice tool going forward.

Finally you should consider ordering from someone who offers a 30 day playability guarantee just in case.

I hope COVID loosens up for the good people of Norway, soon! 

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The effective loft and the swing path really dictate most of the spin produced.  Besides the foremost element of the loft angle on the driver itself.

I used to use a low lofted driver, can produce mid spin rate at a high launch angle.  Mind you, they didn't have the sophisticated launch monitor like these days, not back in the 70's and the 80's.    So take this as it may without a scientific statistic to back it up.

If one does not have the time nor the patience to fine tune the equipment and the mechanics of golf swing, and wanted an instant solution.  Not much choice but to get on the modern launch monitor or take the long road of trial and error.

Seeking the holy grail in golf equipment is part of the game.  Might as well enjoy the journey because even if one thinks the measured specs are all complete.  We often ignored the one constantly changing element, the golfer's physical well being.

Golf is a game measured by small fractions of mistakes, and variables.   The industry is counting on those seeking perfection .

Edited by release