TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Srixon XV

A very popular ball out there for the faster swing speeds. How does the Srixon XV do in the lab.  Check it out here.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-srixon-z-star-xv-review/

a photo of Srixon Z-Star XV Golf balls

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

pretty disappointing showing honestly.. I expected more for Srixon. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Wow!  I'm not very impressed with the score of 70, but I still have a few sleeves of the 2019 version of this ball, and it seems to be okay for me.  However, I stick to Snell MTB-X for tournament play.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

pretty disappointing showing honestly.. I expected more for Srixon. 

I agree. I was defending Srixon after the Q star tour lab, but I do find this report disappointing as well. This is their top ball(used way more on tour than the regular Z star), and I would have expected better quality control on them. I play Srixon regularly, but may have to reevaluate when my supply is gone.

I've still got a couple dozen of the 2019 version in stock and was ready to load up during the Father's Day promo. But this has me reconsidering. The regular Z-Star doesn't seem to have nearly the quality issues of the XV and it seems like the 2021 versions are much closer in terms of feel and performance, so maybe I'll switch. Otherwise, back to the drawing board for a new gamer ball...

The other thing this makes me wonder is what kind of QC is happening before they give their contract players their allotment? Surely they're not doing a ball lab to find just the good ones... Does this mean that Hideki just happened to have a couple good sleeves? Did Cam Champ blow it in New Orleans after opening a new sleeve with some out-of-round ones? Anybody wanna go scuba diving to find any of the ones he pumped into the alligator ponds to check? 😏

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

I've still got a couple dozen of the 2019 version in stock and was ready to load up during the Father's Day promo. But this has me reconsidering. The regular Z-Star doesn't seem to have nearly the quality issues of the XV and it seems like the 2021 versions are much closer in terms of feel and performance, so maybe I'll switch. Otherwise, back to the drawing board for a new gamer ball...

The other thing this makes me wonder is what kind of QC is happening before they give their contract players their allotment? Surely they're not doing a ball lab to find just the good ones... Does this mean that Hideki just happened to have a couple good sleeves? Did Cam Champ blow it in New Orleans after opening a new sleeve with some out-of-round ones? Anybody wanna go scuba diving to find any of the ones he pumped into the alligator ponds to check? 😏

Good point about the QC for the staff players. Sometimes I wonder if some of the issues that we’re seeing in some of the balls may not be as big of a deal as we want to think it is performance wise. 

I would think for Srixon pros that they are getting a hand-selected batch of balls - they would know that there is some variance between balls with manufacturing tolerances. Same thing with shafts, etc. I know in the world of alpine skiing this is especially common - the equipment guys for the top racers will get access to the warehouse, and they will go through hundreds of the same ski and pick out 10 for their racer that have the exact flex, stiffness, camber, etc that they want. Those minuscule differences add up in a sport where success is measured by hundredths of a second.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Another to the growing list of less than stellar findings.  As miniscule as some of these differences are, the reports do provide we consumers something more meaningful than simply marketing claims printed on the box and tv spots.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Well there goes another ball off my list 😳

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

If I remember correctly pretty much the most well constructed ball ins the -ProV1x right? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Lol this feels like a little overreaction. Y'all can ship me your Z-Stars I'll be happy to take them off your hands 😁😁

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 5/7/2021 at 1:08 PM, gavinski91 said:

I would think for Srixon pros that they are getting a hand-selected batch of balls - they would know that there is some variance between balls with manufacturing tolerances.

Oh, I would be shocked if the Tour guys were just being handed off-the-assembly-line balls. I used to work (pre-ubiquitous launch monitors and probably looser manufacturing tolerances) at a course that hosted a Tour stop and the fitting trucks would typically make 5-10 of the exact same driver, have the pro hit them, and keep the one that seemed to give them the most pop. I think my bigger question is how do they know which balls to give their Tour staff? Do they Check-go-pro them? Float em? Is Tony secretly moonlighting as a contract ball QC-er?

Edited by greggarner
typo

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 5/8/2021 at 5:57 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Lol this feels like a little overreaction. Y'all can ship me your Z-Stars I'll be happy to take them off your hands 😁😁

I found two, like new, yellow Z-star balls last week.  I saw them up the side of a hill, only a few yards apart.  I'm guessing from the same player who likely needed his toes to tally up that score.  I have found/played both the Z & Q Star balls before and they seem just fine to me.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:57 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Agreed. I wonder how many folks have raved about balls, shot their best scores with them, loved feel & performance, posted great reviews about them, but then MGS comes out with the Ball Lab Report and it becomes "OMG I can't believe I wasted money buying 5 dozen of these pieces of junk!" 

Obviously there's a little hyperbole there, but the sentiment is true - how many people are suddenly going to stop playing a ball they like and have been comfortable with because they're not happy with the score it got in one of these tests?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

This part of Tony's assessment is what catches my attention the most.  I believe this is the worst of all balls tested to date.  Again, whether the lack of quality would ever show itself on the course I don't know, but paying top shelf price for a ball that will likely perform no better than a Kirkland Performance+ isn't happening for me.

image.png.e6ae6bb67f6eb94f0ef66b57816a8854.png

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Agreed. I wonder how many folks have raved about balls, shot their best scores with them, loved feel & performance, posted great reviews about them, but then MGS comes out with the Ball Lab Report and it becomes "OMG I can't believe I wasted money buying 5 dozen of these pieces of junk!" 

Obviously there's a little hyperbole there, but the sentiment is true - how many people are suddenly going to stop playing a ball they like and have been comfortable with because they're not happy with the score it got in one of these tests?

I actually liked the True Price metric more than the 0-100 score MGS is now using. The XV scored 20% over retail which is a little high, given that the regular Z-Star was only 6% over. But at 20%, it's not far off from the tested Bridgestone, TM, and Chrome Soft X, which all check in around 13%. No doubt Titleist is the QC champion here, but all the other tour level balls are grouped in that area. It's less then 10% difference across a dozen.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

not surprised at all after my own experience with these balls..........pass

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

I gamed this ball all last summer and I am not a fan of it.  I heard nothing but good things about Srixon and every now and then I would find one and play it.  So why not give it a try?   I found the cover to be very thin (which Srixon says is the thinnest) meaning it's not very durable.  There is a noticeable seam on a lot of the balls due to the cover being so thin.  I also found them to not be as long as others I have played.  The spin is good on these around the greens though.  They are not a hit and spin back 5 ft type of ball, but they are a hit and stop ball if that makes sense.   I switched from Bridgestone to Srixon last year because the price was right (buy three get one) so I figured I would give it a shot...should have stuck with Bridgestone.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"