Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

5w with the loft cranked all the way up?  How many degrees do you get with Myfly these days? 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :Fuji: Motore X F3 R 

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), Project X LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Just now, knightsofnii said:

5w with the loft cranked all the way up?  How many degrees do you get with Myfly these days? 

Going up in loft closes the face!  Will be going 7 wood as that should hit the gap better, plus if I need to go down in loft it will open the face and that is my preference.

7 minutes ago, edingc said:

I think @B.Boston suggested a slightly longer hosel on the hybrids to facilitate tweaking lie and loft during our post-mortem call last year, but I suppose that's a pretty small market.

I don't believe any of us carried the 7 wood last year, will be interesting to see how it works out for you if that's the route you go. 

Yes I was hoping to be able to bend it or for an adjustable sleeve on them.  Since I still love the way they feel and get through the turf for me I'm determined to make it work.  I think I'm going to hit a bunch of shots at the range and maybe over my next few round choked up an inch.  That should make it play effectively 2* flatter like my irons.  

Outside of that I may just have to try out a 7-wood too and see how that goes.  I love the 5-wood so that might not be a bad alternative.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Going up in loft closes the face!  Will be going 7 wood as that should hit the gap better, plus if I need to go down in loft it will open the face and that is my preference.

I've got my 5 wood cranked all the way open (-1.5* setting) and it's an absolute dream for me.  Pretty sure you've got more speed than me and I get 237 yards out of it compared to an arccos smart distance of 263 on my driver.  I have to agree the 7 wood will probably help you will that hybrid-ish gap better.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

4 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I've got my 5 wood cranked all the way open (-1.5* setting) and it's an absolute dream for me.  Pretty sure you've got more speed than me and I get 237 yards out of it compared to an arccos smart distance of 263 on my driver.  I have to agree the 7 wood will probably help you will that hybrid-ish gap better.  

Thats awesome.  The Radspeed Tour fairway wood was super intriguing to me from a size perspective, but with a loft of 17.5 it falls right in-between the lofts I'd want to play

12 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Thats awesome.  The Radspeed Tour fairway wood was super intriguing to me from a size perspective, but with a loft of 17.5 it falls right in-between the lofts I'd want to play

The tour speedzone looked awesome.  The 3wd in that is smaller head size than the 5wd in the regular speedzone line.  I liked it a lot but it was too low launching for me, which tends to be my issue with 3woods in general, so the forward CG of that one made it even lower.  But the few that I nailed had a great feeling crack to them.  You might find it plays longer than the loft suggests with the forward CG.  worth a swing or two at your fitting anyway! 

I'm hoping to get a slot at a Cobra Demo day on Friday. It's a private club but I hope the pro has a heart for us public folk. 

After TXG's video on the Cobra Radspeed and Radspeed XB, I'm curious to see if the XB lives up to the hype. 

I'm leaning towards the Big Tour Fairway since 85% of my 3W swings are off the tee. If it turns out to be a fairway finder, then that would be perfect on par 4s and narrow courses. 

To attack Par 5s in two, I'm hoping the Tour 5 wood can fill that slot. I usually carry a 18* driving iron but the Tour 5 would be easier to hold the green. I did see the hybrids and I agree they look closed at address. It doesn't appeal to my eye. I think the last 5W I carried was the Tour Preferred TaylorMade spoon back in the day. Yes, it's been that long but hey, that club also had rails on the sole so...who knows. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

omg that looks awesome, good luck!  

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), Project X LZ 5.5 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

12077BCF-0C29-49CC-A596-90DFDAE19AE6.jpeg

9D59D130-47C8-4821-A8B7-0A17C9C586E9.jpeg

61D93877-2BC1-4281-927D-0C0E20AA3F94.jpeg

50C28FA6-D5F2-4FE9-B44A-4A8F181EB531.jpeg

35FE9446-12F6-4467-A600-114584753F1E.jpeg

Def gonna be interested to hear how these stack up against the mizzys

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

32 minutes ago, jlukes said:

My Fitting:

so going into this fitting my main expectations where to settle on a driver head and shaft as well as a fairway wood shaft. It was only a 45 minute fitting so there was no need to spend time on wedges or irons since I already knew what shafts I was going with based on my input from Ian Fraser from TXG. I absolutely love my Oban CT115x shafts and Ian said the closest “standard” shaft to these is the Nippon 105x. The tech rep didn’t even have Xstiff iron shafts so that worked out nicely.

We started with the Radspeed and RDX Blue shaft. I enjoyed the old HZRDUS Yellow shaft in the past so it was no surprise this was the case with the Blue as it is the successor to the HZRDUS yellow shaft. We tried the Motore and while it felt good, I just wasn’t getting the same strike consistency that I was getting with the Blue. I asked to try the XB head, but they only had that in 10.5. He lofted it down to 9, but I just didn’t like how it set up at address. 

i was getting some serious bombs with the Radspeed and the Blue combo - was creeping into the 166mph+ territory with ball speed and getting about 290 yards of carry (normalized on Trackman) with some low spin bombs.  Really wasn’t over hooking anything so felt really comfortable with the setup.

Moved on to the Radspeed 3w and was super impressed. This thing is long. I was carrying it over 260 off the deck with the rdx blue 7X.  

As expected, they didn’t have any 80g x stiff 7 wood shafts but I did see the 7 wood head at address (just popped in a random shaft for a visual) so I will be going with that setup.

All in all it was successful as it helped me answer the questions I needed to get my order ready. Let me know If you have any questions!

Awesome write up. Excited for the 7 wood too. Which shaft do you Plan on going with? I think only xstiff 80 gram is the smoke black unless I missed something. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

2 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Awesome write up. Excited for the 7 wood too. Which shaft do you Plan on going with? I think only xstiff 80 gram is the smoke black unless I missed something. 

I’m going to request the smoke blue like the rest of the woods and see what happens. I really don’t get along with the Smoke black

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I’m going to request the smoke blue like the rest of the woods and see what happens. I really don’t get along with the Smoke black

Gotcha. I wish they had the TX. I know it’s just a little different materials but that is what I’ve always loved in a fairway. Recently though with tsi the raw white 85TX is a beast in a 4 wood. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

25 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

22 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You guys had me interested in the 7 wood earlier so I was checking it out.  I'm not sure what shaft I would go with that's offered to get the natural progression in weight.  My 5 wood is already in the 80 gram class (Ventus Blue 8s, 86g I think) so I'd almost have to go Smoke Black RDX and keep the weight close to even unless I went the upcharge route.

Interesting that the black vs blue was so different for you @jlukes I thought it was just a counter balance point difference between the two RDX models?

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

You guys had me interested in the 7 wood earlier so I was checking it out.  I'm not sure what shaft I would go with that's offered to get the natural progression in weight.  My 5 wood is already in the 80 gram class (Ventus Blue 8s, 86g I think) so I'd almost have to go Smoke Black RDX and keep the weight close to even unless I went the upcharge route.

Interesting that the black vs blue was so different for you @jlukes I thought it was just a counter balance point difference between the two RDX models?

Black is stiffer in the handle. I do not get along with super butt stiff shafts as it take the feel away for me. 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

How do you think the blue compares to the yellow

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, jlukes said:

Black is stiffer in the handle. I do not get along with super butt stiff shafts as it take the feel away for me. 

Do you have a quicker swing tempo?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

13 hours ago, jlukes said:

I touched on this briefly, but check if Cobra has run the shaft you desire in the past few seasons.  I was able to custom order a current iron with a prior year shaft.  Probably depends on supply I'm sure.  Unless Cobra wants you reviewing these with the current offerings.  

Previous forum tests:

congrats guys, this is always a huge opportunity! Looking forward to hearing about the one length irons! 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

8 hours ago, gavinski91 said:

I did a partial fitting today with John at Pro Golf Discount in Bellingham. I purchased my current irons there two years ago - they were an off-the-shelf purchase, not fitted, but I had hit them up against a few other sets on the GC Quad and was happy with how they performed at the time.

They didn't have every shaft available, so my goal was to find something that I was comfortable with. We started off with the irons, and after getting my swing in the groove started to see some good results with the KBS Tour 90 S shafts. The irons are definitely strong-lofted - the 7-iron I was testing has 27.5° of loft. The closest direct comparison in my current set is my 6-iron, which is at 27°. Average carry with my current 6-iron is about 165 yards (7-iron is 150). For comparison, here's a quick picture I took of the GC Quad readout with the Radspeed 7-iron. IMG_897948F7C4C7-1.jpeg.fcc8acfd9f664c23a1b872353f948516.jpeg

If I can ease up that attack angle over the course of the challenge I should get the spin up into an ideal window. I still can't get over that 124mph ball speed number though - I did not expect that heading into the fitting!

That's what I was wondering about with the strong lofts and hotter faces, that I'd have to get used to a 180yd 7i.  🤪🤪🤣🤣🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Previous forum tests:

2 minutes ago, knightsofnii said:

That's what I was wondering about with the strong lofts and hotter faces, that I'd have to get used to a 180yd 7i.  🤪🤪🤣🤣🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I sent that pic to my brothers and one of them made fun of me for not breaking 200 yards - he thought that was with the driver!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS