Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:45 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

I worked on straightening out the Radspeed driver and 3W over the weekend...this was all indoors so I'll need to test these out on the course before deeming it worthy...

Driver

My biggest concern about opening up the driver face to -1.5* is my launch will get too low and I'll start losing carry distance. I have the 16g weight up front and a 8g weight in the back. This is 10g more weight than the stock weights and I do feel the head better during the swing. The added weight provided a more consistent strike, however, I still saw the hard draw on almost every swing. I added 4g of lead tape to the toe and immediately started to see results. My only issue is that the tape wouldn't stick to the matte paint and would fly off at impact. The hard draws straightened out to a more playable draw but I noticed some wild swings with driver spin. Keep in mind I'm using the Left Dash Pro V1x in all of my tests. I do throw in a Bridgestone Tour BX occasionally if I think the driver head is too low spin and I need something with a little more spin to keep the ball in the air. I'll say I've never seen such wild swings in launch and spin than with this driver. It's a little frustrating and I feel like this is a complex Rubik's cube and I've only got one side complete. Open the face, launch gets too low but spin is perfect. Square the face, launch is perfect but spin is counter-productive and ball moves right. Move weight forward, spin is reduced but I'm seeing ball fly further right. Move weight back, straighter ball flight but with excess spin. I love tinkering with clubs but I'm about out of ideas. 

Big Tour 3W

I added 4g of lead tape to the toe of the BT and it was an instant success. I averaged 23 yards right of target without the tape, and only 6 yards right of target with it in place. The Left Dash paired with the BT is giving me driver-esk launch numbers (161mph ball speed, 12* launch @ 2400rpms - 278y carry). The left dash is a little bit more active (left-right movement) off the tee than the Bridgestone but both balls performed well. Regardless, my confidence in the 3 wood greatly increased and with the carry distance I'm seeing, I see it as a great sub in case the driver isn't behaving. 

I know this may sound stupid but have you checked the setting on the adjuster? There are usually two settings, one is standard and one is draw. So it is possible you have it set -1.5 D not -1.5 standard. I made that mistake with my F9 and hit some big pull hooks.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:11 AM, jlukes said:

Absolutely. 

I have learned over the years, through experimentation, through online learning (TXG) and through my fitting at True Spec, that I perform best with shafts that are softer in the butt section (handle).  For some players, including me, a softer butt section translates to better feel.  It really lets me know when the shaft is loading and helps me time my transition.  It is why my first two shaft choices were Modus 105x and Modus 120x.  Those models have a relatively softer handle and give me a great feel throughout the swing - and they are most similar to the Oban CT 115 shafts I was fit into at True Spec (the Modus shafts were the runners up in this fitting).

With the DG X100s, they are stiffer in the handle and thus I lose a ton of that feel that I love.  I am really struggling to feel the head during the swing and thus my transition is wildly inconsistent which leads to my delivery numbers (face, path, and angle of attack) to be inconsistent as well.

Now the X100s are one of the most popular irons shafts on tour, so it's obviously not a bad shaft.  What it does show is that some players are more effected by different profiles of shafts and I happen to be one of them.

I know exactly what you mean, during my multiple iron fittings this year i can go from hitting beautiful baby draws to horrible fats and thins just by changing the shaft. I just hope there re lots of AMT white shafts around when I order my new clubs.....

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

8 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

I know this may sound stupid but have you checked the setting on the adjuster? There are usually two settings, one is standard and one is draw. So it is possible you have it set -1.5 D not -1.5 standard. I made that mistake with my F9 and hit some big pull hooks.

I wish that was the case but the setting is correct... -1* STD lie. I think Cobra sits a little upright compared to other manufacturers so it is in their DNA to have a draw bias. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

47 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I wish that was the case but the setting is correct... -1* STD lie. I think Cobra sits a little upright compared to other manufacturers so it is in their DNA to have a draw bias. 

Especially when compared to PiNG, which I believe has one of the the flattest standard lie angle for drivers in the industry 

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Especially when compared to PiNG, which I believe has one of the the flattest standard lie angle for drivers in the industry 

I wonder if Cobra and other companies might change it up for various models more. Like Callaway, the Max LS is two degrees flatter than the most forgiving Max option knowing most better players need low spin and prefer not to go left. So the RAD could easily be 1 flatter I feel.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

18 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Last story...after a couple of drives, I was searching for my tee and noticed a tee in my area with a familiar logo. I picked it up and immediately started laughing...It was a Patrick Reed 'Team Reed' tee. Now, I know anyone could've picked it up at his course (Carlton Woods) and managed to drop it off at the goat ranch but I'm telling my golfing buddies he was out there and I have picture proof. Yeap, Patrick Reed, PGA's 2020 villian of the year, was hitting balls next to me and I grabbed one of his tees as proof. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. 

IMG-9197.JPG.ac22b52b46339f118d2a0120eba79810.JPGIMG-9198.JPG.84e599df770364b539fe6d7fc4212263.JPG

Only way to find out…tag @useGolfFACTS on Twitter and Justine might respond!

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

13 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

I wonder if Cobra and other companies might change it up for various models more. Like Callaway, the Max LS is two degrees flatter than the most forgiving Max option knowing most better players need low spin and prefer not to go left. So the RAD could easily be 1 flatter I feel.

You’re basically correct, but they do it based on loft.

the 9* heads for the Radspeed and Radspeed XB come with 57.5* lie angles while the 10.5* heads are 58.5*. 12* is another degree up at 59.5*. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

39 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

the 9* heads for the Radspeed and Radspeed XB come with 57.5* lie angles while the 10.5* heads are 58.5*. 12* is another degree up at 59.5*. 

Yup.  My original plan was to go with the 10.5 head and then loft it down so I could open the face, but the lie angle increase prevented me from doing so.

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Good bit of info thanks for sharing. I hadn't noticed that.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

Good bit of info thanks for sharing. I hadn't noticed that.

It almost makes me wonder if they're using the same heads and adjusting the hosel bore for the loft/lie on the different loft models.  A few generations ago they only offered one "loft" head in each model.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

14 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

It almost makes me wonder if they're using the same heads and adjusting the hosel bore for the loft/lie on the different loft models.  A few generations ago they only offered one "loft" head in each model.

Could be would make more sense from a cost perspective than producing essentially 6 different heads across the Rad Speed and XB line.

4 hours ago, B.Boston said:

This was the one of the reasons I went with the XB at 9° rather than the XD at 10.5° and lofted down. And since the order was placed I've been working on some swing changes that have dramatically reduced my slice, so the XB in a draw setup should be enough to keep me out of the next fairway over on the right!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS