TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I don’t think Cobra has any choice in the matter, unfortunately. If they don’t have things from their vendors & suppliers, then they can’t send them to the challenge members. I would have to think that they considered logistical issues with custom orders and potential problems before they agreed to hold the CCC with MGS this year. The timing delays stink, as do Joe’s concerns with his shafts, but it’s not like Cobra is sitting there saying “meh”. Their hands are tied in a lot of this I would think, based on my own experiences lately with order delays, product shortages, etc at work. 

It’s strange that I can get one of these bags within a week in Australia but they can’t get the same bag to the challenge guys. Also, Cobra website still says 12-15 days prior to shipping for custom orders.

I would have thought Cobra might have prioritised the Cobra Connect Challenge orders as it would have to be a pretty cheap marketing opportunity, especially their marketing budget is taken as a whole. It’s not as if they weren’t aware it was happening, 2 of their senior staff are involved directly. I’m assuming those guys won’t be using whatever grips and shafts Cobra had available. 

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

9 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

I know that there are serious issues with supply, but to not be able to provide any of your top 4 is appalling. To substitute something with a different sizing is perhaps even worse. I would have thought they should have been able to offer a standard grip, even if it was an upcharge (that they really should cover)

I’d be very interested if they are substituting shafts and grips for normal customers.  

Were the grips you had installed built in Arccos grips?  

Yes. I will just put the Arccos sensors we were sent to baseline our normal set onto the cobra grips 

It really is mind boggling that an OEM would want to represent their product this way

9 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

@Brian Aand @Mtbryant01, were  you told of the long delay when you ordered?  Nearly 3 months is getting crazy.

No bags yet seems very strange.I wonder if Cobra are expecting everyone to carry a loose pile of clubs around with them.

Unfortunately Cobra seem to be giving themselves a black eye.

They did not say how long lead times were originally, that being said the shafts were communicated to us to pick other shafts because of long leads after our orders.

That being said, I am still running to the door when the FedEx truck goes by like a kid on Christmas! Knowing how the transportation  industry is right now, I am not surprised by delays on anything. It’s a vicious cycle, manufacturer’s can’t get the raws shipped to them because of a shortage of freight, no raws means no products to ship, yet there is still a major freight availability shortage 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

PSA TO ANYONE BUYING CLUBS WITH COBRA CONNECT GRIPS

When we originally placed our orders, I had my clubs ordered at playing length + .5 inches to account for the sensor.  However, cobra told us to just order at playing length and they would figure everything out.  Well, turns out the playing length with the cobra connect grip includes the part of the grip that houses the sensor.

Being that I just regripped all my clubs with regular grips, guess what I just discovered?  All of my clubs are now .5" under my standard playing length.  Ugh.  

So be advised - if you ever order something from Cobra with the connect grips, either plan on always regripping with their special grips, or order .5" over your standard playing length if getting the smart grips.

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

PSA TO ANYONE BUYING CLUBS WITH COBRA CONNECT GRIPS

When we originally placed our orders, I had my clubs ordered at playing length + .5 inches to account for the sensor.  However, cobra told us to just order at playing length and they would figure everything out.  Well, turns out the playing length with the cobra connect grip includes the part of the grip that houses the sensor.

Being that I just regripped all my clubs with regular grips, guess what I just discovered?  All of my clubs are now .5" under my standard playing length.  Ugh.  

So be advised - if you ever order something from Cobra with the connect grips, either plan on always regripping with their special grips, or order .5" over your standard playing length if getting the smart grips.

Interesting. Cobra states .25 inches in length difference between their build of connect vs standard grips. That’s what I saw when I switched grips this year too. 

edit: I put on the same Lamkin grip on the non-connect version, that could have something to do with it. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

11 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Interesting. Cobra states .25 inches in length difference between their build of connect vs standard grips. That’s what I saw when I switched grips this year too. 

edit: I put on the same Lamkin grip on the non-connect version, that could have something to do with it. 

Aligned the soles of the irions. Using the white stripes on the grip for comparison 

11B5A359-1427-4AAB-981A-BD142D094266.jpeg

with connect sensor installed on the cobra club

CDABD4B5-C451-4C53-B870-0197BD784AD4.jpeg.599859f995af812fdb725a282a797006.jpeg

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Aligned the soles of the irions. Using the white stripes on the grip for comparison 

11B5A359-1427-4AAB-981A-BD142D094266.jpeg

Yeah I had measured the before and after to that lines too. Must be something to do with the grips. 

Dont manufactures typically build sets to length without the grips on anyway? I figured the specs online were to show people that the the connect grips add a little bulk to the butt end, albeit less than a screw in sensor. 

still interesting to see a half inch change. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

8 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Yeah I had measured the before and after to that lines too. Must be something to do with the grips. 

Dont manufactures typically build sets to length without the grips on anyway? I figured the specs online were to show people that the the connect grips add a little bulk to the butt end, albeit less than a screw in sensor. 

still interesting to see a half inch change. 

Some OEMs measure length to the end of the grip cap some to the shaft. Crazy

Titleist -  end of shaft.

TaylorMade - End of grip cap

Mizuno - End of grip cap

Ping - end of grip cap

10 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

It’s strange that I can get one of these bags within a week in Australia but they can’t get the same bag to the challenge guys. Also, Cobra website still says 12-15 days prior to shipping for custom orders.

I would have thought Cobra might have prioritised the Cobra Connect Challenge orders as it would have to be a pretty cheap marketing opportunity, especially their marketing budget is taken as a whole. It’s not as if they weren’t aware it was happening, 2 of their senior staff are involved directly. I’m assuming those guys won’t be using whatever grips and shafts Cobra had available. 

I'm of another mind, where Cobra may be prioritizing paid orders given backlogs and the fact that while this is indeed marketing for them, the participants are all getting their gear for free. Does that excuse some of the more concerning things, like 4th choice shafts that completely don't work? No, it doesn't. However, I still choose to look at things in a big picture sort of way. 

Of course, I'm a bystander here, as are the rest of us - any frustration on the part of the participants is 100% understandable. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'm of another mind, where Cobra may be prioritizing paid orders given backlogs and the fact that while this is indeed marketing for them, the participants are all getting their gear for free. Does that excuse some of the more concerning things, like 4th choice shafts that completely don't work? No, it doesn't. However, I still choose to look at things in a big picture sort of way. 

Of course, I'm a bystander here, as are the rest of us - any frustration on the part of the participants is 100% understandable. 

While they may be getting to the “paid” orders first, how much positive or negative marketing is this generating for them? If you were considering a cobra club and saw the delay and also not being able to read the reviews, how likely are you to go out and drop $400 on it? I think that’s where frustration from non participants comes from. From the competitors, it’s the excitement and delay that’s killing us, then to not get the clubs we wanted and in @jlukes case shafts that aren’t compatible with him, it’s frustrating…

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Just now, Brian A said:

While they may be getting to the “paid” orders first, how much positive or negative marketing is this generating for them? If you were considering a cobra club and saw the delay and also not being able to read the reviews, how likely are you to go out and drop $400 on it? I think that’s where frustration from non participants comes from. From the competitors, it’s the excitement and delay that’s killing us, then to not get the clubs we wanted and in @jlukes case shafts that aren’t compatible with him, it’s frustrating…

Truthfully - given the fact that there's widespread problems with inventory and shipping across nearly every industry right now, I would not view the wait times as negative marketing. A quick perusal of MGS and other forums shows frustration over delivery times from nearly every OEM. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

20 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Truthfully - given the fact that there's widespread problems with inventory and shipping across nearly every industry right now, I would not view the wait times as negative marketing. A quick perusal of MGS and other forums shows frustration over delivery times from nearly every OEM. 

It's funny - I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday talking a few of the guys I always see there and they said Callaway and PXG are the only two manufacturers that were seemingly prepared for the supply chain issues.  

They mentioned Cobra and Taylormade being the absolute worst for delays on custom orders this year.  

52 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

My guys at Golf Galaxy yesterday told me that they have customers with custom orders from Cobra from early April that have not been fulfilled yet.

22 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It's funny - I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday talking a few of the guys I always see there and they said Callaway and PXG are the only two manufacturers that were seemingly prepared for the supply chain issues.  

They mentioned Cobra and Taylormade being the absolute worst for delays on custom orders this year.  

Was at CC getting the specs for Titleist review and the fitter I go to told me some orders for TM they put in came back as earliest delivery time Feb 2022 ... that's insane. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

In my experience, Ping and Cobra have been the longest when it comes to custom orders. Srixon and Taylormade were pretty good...at least they were pretty darn close with their shipping estimates. 

However, Miura...I had a friend in Nashville wait 54 weeks for a set of blades from Miura. Fifty...four. So maybe if Cobra is mirroring Miura's production, we should get this show on the road in time for the 2022 US Open!! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

3 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

Was at CC getting the specs for Titleist review and the fitter I go to told me some orders for TM they put in came back as earliest delivery time Feb 2022 ... that's insane. 

Some shafts are backordered for a long, long time. Some heads are out of stock and being placed at a lower priority to replenish the inventory levels. The timing in getting all the components in stock at the same time could take 6-8 months. If you're super picky with your setup, I don't know if now is the time to order new sticks. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

2 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

In my experience, Ping and Cobra have been the longest when it comes to custom orders. Srixon and Taylormade were pretty good...at least they were pretty darn close with their shipping estimates. 

However, Miura...I had a friend in Nashville wait 54 weeks for a set of blades from Miura. Fifty...four. So maybe if Cobra is mirroring Miura's production, we should get this show on the road in time for the 2022 US Open!! 

I think you have two issues: Production (of heads) and Sourcing (of components).  Some companies over-ordered shafts and grips to stock their build shops so they could be prepared for this.  Other companies clearly operate a more lean operation where they order certain shafts/grips in more of a Just In Time fashion.

Heck - TXG - a custom build shop - ordered tons of heads, shafts and grips to prepare for this and mentioned on last week's livestream that they don't really have any delays in building customer orders right now.

Really struggled off the tee today - 5 penalty strokes and only 2 fairways hit. However, my wedges were on fire, and I was putting reasonably well (1 disappointing 3-putt) so I managed to post an 86. Also outdid my projection for margin of victory over my father-in-law, beating him by 27 😉

Next up I need a few more range sessions with the driver to get fully comfortable with it, and I need to get the lie angles adjusted on the irons. Once I get all that sorted I feel like breaking 80 is a distinct possibility during the challenge!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS