Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

Got out for 9 with my dad, drove the ball better. The wedges are slowly becoming my favorites. 3 wood was off today though, couldn’t get much distance 

C03D6887-DDF9-4E2B-A700-006315BBB0D4.jpeg

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

First round with all cobra clubs, only got 11 holes in. I really struggled with the short irons and wedges at one length. I had one ball OB with driver but overall the driver is really good and hit a really good one over 320 today but overall was closer to the 290 range consistently. I think my titleist with a Ventus TX has more juice in it but the XB looks huge behind the ball and inspires confidence. Even though it says 1/11 fairways my course has a lot of doglegs and short cuts, so I really had clean shots on 10/11 holes just couldn’t get the wedges dialed in at full length. Distances from 50-120 were difficult today with missing some long and some short. I’ve been doing better with approach and short than the stats show here, so definitely room for improvement. I haven’t had a chance to practice yet, and I can tell I really need to dial in wedge distances and get comfortable with partial swings with the wedges. Looking forward to 18 tomorrow. 

A14392A6-4145-46AC-ACD5-5FE97FD35C4A.png

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I'm on a short vacation with the wife and baby (left the boys with the grandparents) and I snuck out during nap to play down here in Galveston. This was such a short notice vacation and golfing opportunity that I forgot to pack golf shorts... So I played in a swimsuit... And I know that angered the golf gods. 

I was the first one off at 1pm after a morning tournament and they let me play a twosome with a random pairing but we were in separate carts. We took off and finished the round in 2hrs and 10 minutes. It was incredibly quick and the most common phrases muttered between Chuck and I were "good shot/putt" and "see you at the green". 

I had setup my Arccos Link, app, Apple watch and Bluetooth speaker prior to the first swing and didn't check it until the 15th green to verify a distance off the tee... Arccos said I was -57 for the day with 14 holes in one... It didn't pick up a single shot. I was devastated. I was playing well and since we were playing fast, I didn't remember exactly how far each shot traveled and exact pin placements. The best I could do was try to remember simple golf stats on the round. Here's what I recall:

Fairways: 12/13 - these are very generous fairways but I was still impressed with the accuracy I'm seeing in the driver and big tour 3 off the tee. The early days of hard draws and hooks appear to be gone for now. 

Greens: 14/18 with 3 up and downs. I only had a few bad swings on the day and most were on long par 3s where I missed right of the green. 

Putts: No 3-putts, good distance control on greens, a few birdie putts and of course the missed putts inside 10' that can turn a round from good to great. 

Oh and you might be wondering what the weather is like in Galveston... Check this out from the local weather service:

6FAE78E7-E563-4F84-B74E-59EB544B295B.png.e9883b6c6c676e79bfb5438fcddd4153.png

@TBTi apologize for not giving you a heads up as this round was planned the night before. I've got a reminder to let you know when I'm down here in September so we can go tee it up at Moody. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

@txgolfjunkie I'm gonna have to make an effort to play on the island sometime. These Cobra threads always get me in trouble. One of them convinced me to buy a 3 wood, and you're going to convince me to drive 1.5+ hours to play on the island. Ha!

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

First round with my standard size grips ( removed the crossline plus grips and put on standard tour velvets ) and man what a difference in comfort level. Hit the driver the best o have since I got it and the irons we’re definitely more manageable. Wedges were great on approach shots. Course was in really poor shape around the greens which led to some brutal lies and awful chips, but still scratched together a good round. 

1A26051E-DC17-4184-B8EE-7D1256C79D3C.jpeg

26 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Nice, glad that change helped you out! I've heard losing doesn't feel as bad when you're comfortable...

Subtle, yet aggressive... I like it.

#TEAMCHAD

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

First round with my standard size grips ( removed the crossline plus grips and put on standard tour velvets ) and man what a difference in comfort level. Hit the driver the best o have since I got it and the irons we’re definitely more manageable. Wedges were great on approach shots. Course was in really poor shape around the greens which led to some brutal lies and awful chips, but still scratched together a good round. 

1A26051E-DC17-4184-B8EE-7D1256C79D3C.jpeg

Yeah, I believe Cobra adds an additional 2 to 3 wraps (this may have already been mentioned) on their factory stock standard grips, which I learned after I bought clubs from them and eventually grew comfortable with and prefer. 

Moved away from their One Lengths and got the MCCs in standard size for my Maltbys and now it feels like I’m choking the club. 

Now I’m a huge believer that grips make all the difference in the world. 😆 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

4 hours ago, KurtActual said:

@txgolfjunkie I'm gonna have to make an effort to play on the island sometime. These Cobra threads always get me in trouble. One of them convinced me to buy a 3 wood, and you're going to convince me to drive 1.5+ hours to play on the island. Ha!

Moody is the Texas budget version of Kiawah's ocean course. The wind is always howling, it's the same grass tee to green at Kiawah, there's water, sand and high grass everywhere... But there are generous landing areas and fairways, greens are big and aren't too crazy with undulation, and it's about $400 cheaper! The course isn't brutally long unless you play it in a North wind and then the long holes are into the wind and short holes are downwind. The paspalum grass really does give way to excellent lies in the fairway and around the greens while it keeps the greens from being overly fast. 

Also, the course actually looks really good a few weeks after a tropical storm blows through as the high tide salt water kills the weeds while the paspalum thrives on the salty water. If they have a bunch of rain, the weeds and St Augustine can start popping up and the greens can get a little bumpy. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Just can never seem to get all facets of my game rolling at the same time. Got out for an early morning round with my brother, and off the first tee things were looking good. 
F9A396D1-0642-420D-BA4A-32814ABCBE84.jpeg.69e45bec0c30b04ad8d623fbc68fd31d.jpeg
Unfortunately, after hitting the green we both proceeded to 3-putt for bogey. That would be an omen of what was to come for me - 38 putts on my way to an 87. 
F38E39F6-7268-47A9-BBB1-6C9D41F3A18A.jpeg.1e1e62c3c98e70386742c6a16f8b6186.jpeg

In the post-round chat with my brother I remarked that the dispersion of my scores has come way down in the past few months - the difference between a good and a bad round for me right now is less than 10 strokes. I feel like I’m on the cusp of breaking 80, if only I can get every part of my game to do what it’s capable of at the same time!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

11 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Just can never seem to get all facets of my game rolling at the same time.

... Ain't that the game though? The skills necessary to hit it long and straight off the tee, produce accurate irons for distance and direction combined with a soft touch around the green including the ability to read putts is a daunting endeavor and why so many of us are so addicted. 🤪  I have seen players kill it off the tee and struggle around the green as well as stellar short games that are distance challenged. You will hear it from high index players all the way to those competing in any tournament on the Pro Tours "just couldn't put it all together today". Such a difficult game but most of us can hardly wait for the next round!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Ain't that the game though? The skills necessary to hit it long and straight off the tee, produce accurate irons for distance and direction combined with a soft touch around the green including the ability to read putts is a daunting endeavor and why so many of us are so addicted. 🤪  I have seen players kill it off the tee and struggle around the green as well as stellar short games that are distance challenged. You will hear it from high index players all the way to those competing in any tournament on the Pro Tours "just couldn't put it all together today". Such a difficult game but most of us can hardly wait for the next round!

It’s just maddening to hit an 86 one week, with only 2 fairways hit but 30 putts, and then come back a week later with the ability to hit fairways, and all of a sudden your putting ability has disappeared and you hit an 87… but hey, if every shot did what I want it to I’d get paid to play 😂

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

2 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

It’s just maddening to hit an 86 one week, with only 2 fairways hit but 30 putts, and then come back a week later with the ability to hit fairways, and all of a sudden your putting ability has disappeared and you hit an 87… but hey, if every shot did what I want it to I’d get paid to play 😂

Good thing those Cobras are performing. Even bad rounds are under par with your pre cobra handicap 😂 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

18 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Good thing those Cobras are performing. Even bad rounds are under par with your pre cobra handicap 😂 

Just imagine what my margin of victory could be if I hadn’t shot my lifetime-best round just before the new clubs arrived!