Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

Put the Cobras back in the bag today after a great round with my gamers on Friday and the struggle was real on my way to the worst round I’ve played in years.  

It rained quite a bit last night and I really struggled from the bunkers because the sand was either wet cement or the ball plugged in the bunker. That being said I was only in 4 green side bunkers because my iron play was again inconsistent at best 

A64EF08A-0B74-48C9-90C1-74A42509AC31.png.2c6bfa085e670baf10aedee9ec5f82ec.png

I hit the irons well a few times and they felt great. The good news is I seem tone at least making more consistent center face contact now. Unfortunately I’m still struggling with timing these shafts and I’m still spraying the ball.  I’m going to have the lie angles checked because there does seem to be a predominant miss to the left. I am pretty sure it’s the shaft causing some poor sequencing and swings, but want to rule out everything else. 

3 wood was the star of the show today with several fantastic tee shots and 2 great shots off the fairway. Really enjoying it and it’s firmly removed itself as the club I’m most nervous about testing. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

@jlukes When does the actual challenge start, and do you feel there’s a way for you to work with these irons the way things have been going?

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

33 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

@jlukes When does the actual challenge start, and do you feel there’s a way for you to work with these irons the way things have been going?

I’ll definitely be able to provide a solid review on the irons. Do I feel confident in using them during the challenge portion of the review? Unfortunately I can’t say I do

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I am 100% committed to this challenge and review. Just dropped over $130 to have all my cobra clubs regripped   

They all came with Crossline Plus grips (wasn’t on my list of 4 grips choices). Love the crossline, but the Plus version has the bottom hand built up so it doesn’t taper  ( similar to the GP Plus4). This is great for some, but for me and my small hands (size small glove) it felt really unnatural gripping the club. After today’s disaster of a round I took my clubs to my local golf Galaxy where they had plenty of standard Tour Velvets in stock. After 20 minutes I got my clubs back and instantly had a sense of familiarity and comfort at address. I’ll get to the range tomorrow and see if it helps give me some better results, especially with irons. 

• Like 8

We are getting close to having all the clubs in our hands! No one has received their bag yet. The only two people left waiting on clubs are myself and @Brian A

I’m waiting on my 3 and 5 wood. @Brian A is waiting on his irons.

Excited to get these challenges started!

• Like 8

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

27 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I am 100% committed to this challenge and review. Just dropped over $130 to have all my cobra clubs regripped   

They all came with Crossline Plus grips (wasn’t on my list of 4 grips choices). Love the crossline, but the Plus version has the bottom hand built up so it doesn’t taper  ( similar to the GP Plus4). This is great for some, but for me and my small hands (size small glove) it felt really unnatural gripping the club. After today’s disaster of a round I took my clubs to my local golf Galaxy where they had plenty of standard Tour Velvets in stock. After 20 minutes I got my clubs back and instantly had a sense of familiarity and comfort at address. I’ll get to the range tomorrow and see if it helps give me some better results, especially with irons. 

... I hope the grip change helps. Absolute worst case scenario is members see how an ill fitting shaft can effect performance. No matter how it works out, I think everyone knows how dedicated to golf and MGS you are. 👍

• Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

I know that there are serious issues with supply, but to not be able to provide any of your top 4 is appalling. To substitute something with a different sizing is perhaps even worse. I would have thought they should have been able to offer a standard grip, even if it was an upcharge (that they really should cover)

I’d be very interested if they are substituting shafts and grips for normal customers.  

Were the grips you had installed built in Arccos grips?  

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

@Brian Aand @Mtbryant01, were  you told of the long delay when you ordered?  Nearly 3 months is getting crazy.

No bags yet seems very strange.I wonder if Cobra are expecting everyone to carry a loose pile of clubs around with them.

Unfortunately Cobra seem to be giving themselves a black eye.

• Like 2

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

8 minutes ago, Peaksy68 said:

@Brian Aand @Mtbryant01, were  you told of the long delay when you ordered?  Nearly 3 months is getting crazy.

No bags yet seems very strange.I wonder if Cobra are expecting everyone to carry a loose pile of clubs around with them.

I know that even last year there were supply issues for bags. 

Fortunately for us we all got the Vessel Speedzone Stand bag as a substitute, but I remember going to the store to try and look at the lightweight stand and cart bag to look at colors and there were very few, if any in stock locally. 

as I understand it grips are one of the worst right now for supply and any shafts from overseas.

Hopefully it gets better soon, but I’ve seen many OEMs quoting customers out to November for custom order lead time, and I can’t see another looming shutdown helping matters on that front. 

difficult times indeed for the Supply Chain management folks. 

• Like 6

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

52 minutes ago, Peaksy68 said:

I don’t think Cobra has any choice in the matter, unfortunately. If they don’t have things from their vendors & suppliers, then they can’t send them to the challenge members. I would have to think that they considered logistical issues with custom orders and potential problems before they agreed to hold the CCC with MGS this year. The timing delays stink, as do Joe’s concerns with his shafts, but it’s not like Cobra is sitting there saying “meh”. Their hands are tied in a lot of this I would think, based on my own experiences lately with order delays, product shortages, etc at work. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I don’t think Cobra has any choice in the matter, unfortunately. If they don’t have things from their vendors & suppliers, then they can’t send them to the challenge members. I would have to think that they considered logistical issues with custom orders and potential problems before they agreed to hold the CCC with MGS this year. The timing delays stink, as do Joe’s concerns with his shafts, but it’s not like Cobra is sitting there saying “meh”. Their hands are tied in a lot of this I would think, based on my own experiences lately with order delays, product shortages, etc at work. 

It’s strange that I can get one of these bags within a week in Australia but they can’t get the same bag to the challenge guys. Also, Cobra website still says 12-15 days prior to shipping for custom orders.

I would have thought Cobra might have prioritised the Cobra Connect Challenge orders as it would have to be a pretty cheap marketing opportunity, especially their marketing budget is taken as a whole. It’s not as if they weren’t aware it was happening, 2 of their senior staff are involved directly. I’m assuming those guys won’t be using whatever grips and shafts Cobra had available. 

• Like 3

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

9 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

I know that there are serious issues with supply, but to not be able to provide any of your top 4 is appalling. To substitute something with a different sizing is perhaps even worse. I would have thought they should have been able to offer a standard grip, even if it was an upcharge (that they really should cover)

I’d be very interested if they are substituting shafts and grips for normal customers.  

Were the grips you had installed built in Arccos grips?  

Yes. I will just put the Arccos sensors we were sent to baseline our normal set onto the cobra grips 

It really is mind boggling that an OEM would want to represent their product this way

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

They did not say how long lead times were originally, that being said the shafts were communicated to us to pick other shafts because of long leads after our orders.

That being said, I am still running to the door when the FedEx truck goes by like a kid on Christmas! Knowing how the transportation  industry is right now, I am not surprised by delays on anything. It’s a vicious cycle, manufacturer’s can’t get the raws shipped to them because of a shortage of freight, no raws means no products to ship, yet there is still a major freight availability shortage 

• Like 2

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

PSA TO ANYONE BUYING CLUBS WITH COBRA CONNECT GRIPS

When we originally placed our orders, I had my clubs ordered at playing length + .5 inches to account for the sensor.  However, cobra told us to just order at playing length and they would figure everything out.  Well, turns out the playing length with the cobra connect grip includes the part of the grip that houses the sensor.

Being that I just regripped all my clubs with regular grips, guess what I just discovered?  All of my clubs are now .5" under my standard playing length.  Ugh.  

So be advised - if you ever order something from Cobra with the connect grips, either plan on always regripping with their special grips, or order .5" over your standard playing length if getting the smart grips.

• Sad 3
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

PSA TO ANYONE BUYING CLUBS WITH COBRA CONNECT GRIPS

When we originally placed our orders, I had my clubs ordered at playing length + .5 inches to account for the sensor.  However, cobra told us to just order at playing length and they would figure everything out.  Well, turns out the playing length with the cobra connect grip includes the part of the grip that houses the sensor.

Being that I just regripped all my clubs with regular grips, guess what I just discovered?  All of my clubs are now .5" under my standard playing length.  Ugh.  

So be advised - if you ever order something from Cobra with the connect grips, either plan on always regripping with their special grips, or order .5" over your standard playing length if getting the smart grips.

Interesting. Cobra states .25 inches in length difference between their build of connect vs standard grips. That’s what I saw when I switched grips this year too. 

edit: I put on the same Lamkin grip on the non-connect version, that could have something to do with it. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

11 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Interesting. Cobra states .25 inches in length difference between their build of connect vs standard grips. That’s what I saw when I switched grips this year too. 

edit: I put on the same Lamkin grip on the non-connect version, that could have something to do with it. 

Aligned the soles of the irions. Using the white stripes on the grip for comparison 

11B5A359-1427-4AAB-981A-BD142D094266.jpeg

with connect sensor installed on the cobra club

CDABD4B5-C451-4C53-B870-0197BD784AD4.jpeg.599859f995af812fdb725a282a797006.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Aligned the soles of the irions. Using the white stripes on the grip for comparison 

11B5A359-1427-4AAB-981A-BD142D094266.jpeg

Yeah I had measured the before and after to that lines too. Must be something to do with the grips. 

Dont manufactures typically build sets to length without the grips on anyway? I figured the specs online were to show people that the the connect grips add a little bulk to the butt end, albeit less than a screw in sensor. 

still interesting to see a half inch change. 

8 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Yeah I had measured the before and after to that lines too. Must be something to do with the grips. 

Dont manufactures typically build sets to length without the grips on anyway? I figured the specs online were to show people that the the connect grips add a little bulk to the butt end, albeit less than a screw in sensor. 

still interesting to see a half inch change. 

Some OEMs measure length to the end of the grip cap some to the shaft. Crazy

Titleist -  end of shaft.

TaylorMade - End of grip cap

Mizuno - End of grip cap

Ping - end of grip cap

So MGS just released their Most Wanted Hybrid testing results and the Cobra Radspeed did pretty well.

The only con listed?

• Most testers were not fond of the stock grip

Why cobra chose to go with a non-tapered grip as a standard choice this year is really puzzling

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

It’s strange that I can get one of these bags within a week in Australia but they can’t get the same bag to the challenge guys. Also, Cobra website still says 12-15 days prior to shipping for custom orders.

I would have thought Cobra might have prioritised the Cobra Connect Challenge orders as it would have to be a pretty cheap marketing opportunity, especially their marketing budget is taken as a whole. It’s not as if they weren’t aware it was happening, 2 of their senior staff are involved directly. I’m assuming those guys won’t be using whatever grips and shafts Cobra had available. 

I'm of another mind, where Cobra may be prioritizing paid orders given backlogs and the fact that while this is indeed marketing for them, the participants are all getting their gear for free. Does that excuse some of the more concerning things, like 4th choice shafts that completely don't work? No, it doesn't. However, I still choose to look at things in a big picture sort of way. 

Of course, I'm a bystander here, as are the rest of us - any frustration on the part of the participants is 100% understandable. 

• Like 3