Cobra Connect Five-Pre Challenge Chatter-Testers Announced.

33 minutes ago, Brian A said:

If you reach your goal, you can use any extra for my irons I’m still waiting on! 

Oh no, this is a gofundme for you and @Mtbryant01! We need your sticks delivered to get this show on the road!

• Like 2

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

So fellow CC5 participants, I want to pose a question. Given that most of us have had time with some or all of the clubs, are there any changes you’d make to bag composition if we were given the opportunity to make some switch outs prior to the challenge starting?

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

16 minutes ago, jlukes said:

So fellow CC5 participants, I want to pose a question. Given that most of us have had time with some or all of the clubs, are there any changes you’d make to bag composition if we were given the opportunity to make some switch outs prior to the challenge starting?

My most likely change would be my 3-wood shaft. My "fitting" (which was more of a demo) was pretty limited, so I was only able to try 2 driver shafts, and didn't get a chance to hit the 3-wood. I had to choose for my 3-wood between getting the same shaft as my driver, and getting the same shaft as my 5-wood. I went with the driver shaft for decreased spin and more distance off the tee, but I'm finding now that the 5-wood is significantly easier to hit than the 3-wood. I would've also liked to try more than 2 driver shafts - the Rogue was way better than the Motore, but I feel like there may have been more optimization available. I was a bit rushed in scheduling my fitting - if I had known the delays were going to be as long as they were I would've taken the time to do a fitting at a high-end fitting shop in my area rather than a regional golf retailer.

As far as set composition, I haven't hit the 4-hybrid enough on course to know how well it gaps with my 5 iron (since they're the same loft) but other than that I really like the bag setup I ended up with.

• Like 3

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

48 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Without my irons it’s hard to say but I think I’d take out the 3 hybrid and give a better gapping at the other end, I go from 46* to 56* and there’s a big distance gap

• Like 4

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Honestly, I would have not gone one length. It has been such a big struggle with any scoring clubs it’s making me score significantly higher than my normal score. Pitching and chipping are difficult too. Love the woods and driver. I just am struggling big time with the one length. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Cobra Bag                                                                                Current Bag 

Driver: Radspeed XB 9 Motore 6X                                          Driver: Sim Max 9 turned to 7 Tour AXS Blue 6x 

Fairways: 3&7 Radspeed Motore F1 7X                                  Fairway:TSi2 16.5 LAGP TOUR AXS Blue 7x and Radspeed 7 wood Motore 7x

Hybrid: OL 4 Hybrid Tensei White 100TX                           

Irons: Radspeed OL 5-GW KBS $Taper 130X                         Irons: 4-PW Srixon ZX7 Tour Issue  X100

Wedges: Snakebite OL 56@54 & 60 KBS $-Taper 130X       Wedges: SM8 50.08, 54.12, 60.08 Tour Issue S400

Legacy Goods Powell Prototype                                             Legacy Goods Powell Prototype 

-PROV1X or Prov1                                                                    -PROV1X or Prov1

4 hours ago, Brian A said:

Without my irons it’s hard to say but I think I’d take out the 3 hybrid and give a better gapping at the other end, I go from 46* to 56* and there’s a big distance gap

... Wow, that is a big gap and right where you need accuracy. I am occasionally struggling a little with my gapping going from 45* to 50* to 58* and that 8* gap costs me every now and then in the 90-105 range. Fwiw, the Snakebite Versatile 50* is really sweet. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Wow, that is a big gap and right where you need accuracy. I am occasionally struggling a little with my gapping going from 45* to 50* to 58* and that 8* gap costs me every now and then in the 90-105 range. Fwiw, the Snakebite Versatile 50* is really sweet. 

I have 45, 50, 56.  I do also have a 60 but havent hit a shot on course with it in a couple years. The 56 has been my greenside club for most shots, I've been blading the 50 on chips and short pitches for some reason

• Like 1

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:wilson_staff_small: C300 cast irons 5-PW. Fujikura graphite R 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

4 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Honestly, I would have not gone one length. It has been such a big struggle with any scoring clubs it’s making me score significantly higher than my normal score. Pitching and chipping are difficult too. Love the woods and driver. I just am struggling big time with the one length. 

Do you find the longer irons easier to hit? I’ve heard of some folks playing one length down to 7, and standard length below that. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

15 hours ago, jlukes said:

To be honest, I’m not sure I would change to much with what I chose, assuming the 3 and 5 wood work out for me. I love the irons, wedges, and 4hybrid. Gapping has been great. The 4 hybrid is hot and that might be where my biggest gap is between that and the 5 iron. 

The only club not as consistent for me at the moment is the driver. I’m having more 2 way misses than I did with the Ping driver. Don’t get me wrong, I’m driving it fine in terms of distance. I don’t think I could switch out anything to fix the issue, it’s more of my swing I need to work on. 

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

If I could mix up my bag my changes would be:

Radspeed XB Driver in 9* --  I could use a little more spin.  Unfortunately the 9* XB was unavailable during my fitting

Radspeed Tour 5 wood -- this would replace the 3 wood and serve as my 2nd shot club into Par 5s

King Tec Hybrid -- 4H would take the spot of both the 7 wood and 4 utility

King Utility 2 Iron - This would be my secondary off the tee club

• Like 6

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

11 hours ago, chisag said:

It is a much bigger gap that what I had before, I had a 52* instead of a 3 wood. I am happy with the 3 wood but about 70 yards to 100 I have no club, so it’s trying to half or 3/4 swing the gap wedge

• Like 2

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

11 hours ago, gavinski91 said:

Do you find the longer irons easier to hit? I’ve heard of some folks playing one length down to 7, and standard length below that. 

I think the 5 is a little easier to hit. The lofts are much stronger than I’m used to so I’m not sure if distance is coming from lofts. The one length with cobra sensors are the length of my normal 6 iron. I could see 4-7 one length being fine and then normal from there forward. 

also could be my swing. I am shallow which is why I play a thinner sole iron and the Radspeed has a little chunk so maybe that is why I’m struggling with irons more too. 

• Like 3

Cobra Bag                                                                                Current Bag 

Driver: Radspeed XB 9 Motore 6X                                          Driver: Sim Max 9 turned to 7 Tour AXS Blue 6x 

Fairways: 3&7 Radspeed Motore F1 7X                                  Fairway:TSi2 16.5 LAGP TOUR AXS Blue 7x and Radspeed 7 wood Motore 7x

Irons: Radspeed OL 5-GW KBS $Taper 130X                         Irons: 4-PW Srixon ZX7 Tour Issue  X100

Wedges: Snakebite OL 56@54 & 60 KBS $-Taper 130X       Wedges: SM8 50.08, 54.12, 60.08 Tour Issue S400

Legacy Goods Powell Prototype                                             Legacy Goods Powell Prototype 

-PROV1X or Prov1                                                                    -PROV1X or Prov1

If you would've asked me after the first few weeks with the clubs, I would've made the following changes:

• Driver head and shaft
  • 3 Wood shaft
  • 5 Wood shaft

As it turns out, my indoor practice hitting into a net was causing all sorts of timing issues when I took the clubs out on the course. I've had this issue in the past when I spend a lot of time on a launch monitor indoors and the notice a hard draw/pull out on the course. I thought it was the equipment but then I decided to just stick with swinging an orange whip indoors and my ball flight really straightened out. 

Now that I've played a couple rounds with the equipment, the only changes would be for options not available to lefties:

• Wide grind on 56* and 60* MIM Wedges
  • 2 Utility instead of the 5W. I say that solely for a little longer option off the tee on Par 4s than the 4 Utility which I need it stretched to ~240yds and I'm averaging 225-230y. My Tour 5 wood gives me the distance I want but it's tougher to flight the ball down. Again, I would be trading my attack club on Par 5s for a longer option on Par 4s. 

• Like 4

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

It was an ugly day swing-wise which meant I was scrambling from the first hole to the last. The fairways were firm and fast  with a good south wind which lead to some insane tee shots. A 3 wood off the 9th tee traveled 301y and a 5-wood off the 14th tee traveled 277y. Meanwhile, the swing with the driver was off and I was hitting draws off the high toe all day. The irons were traveling right of my target again, but I equate that to the out-of-sync swing (sliding into the shot with hips traveling toward target so I could eliminate the hard right pull versus just rotating the hips). Just about every strike was out on the toe but I blame that on the lack of playing/practice over the last ten days. I need to make it a point to at least do a simple range session if I'm going to go two weeks inbetween rounds. 

IMG-9584.JPG.5941d1f0f6ac2da255e93235a1e1b214.JPG

With the swing being a bit wild, at least the fish were biting...well this fish was at least. Sorry for the picture quality...apparently my playing partner still uses a flip phone to record videos. 

IMG-9583.PNG.42728f7748ed0f221de3f52114f8a4ba.PNG

• Like 6

• Lefty

On 9/3/2021 at 2:54 AM, LeftyMatt89 said:

That's tough Matt.  I bought my dad a set of OL irons for fathers day and he hits them better than any other set he's had.  they just... "work" for him.  So well, in fact, I'm thinking more and more of finding a set to play.  Is the problem that they go too far and are bunched up due to the shaft length or what?  I'm also super curious how a 3,4, or 5 iron is with the significantly shorter than normal shaft.

• Like 2

i210, 10.5* M4 @ 44.5", X, TEE 18* ladies edition, two ball, Righty, North of North, Currently stuck in the 80s...

On 9/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, LeftyMatt89 said:

I am sorry to hear that, I can imagine that the entire change could be very difficult.

I do hope that with time you can become used to the one lengths and get back to good scoring.

• Like 1

My Reviews:

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Wood and Putter set unofficial review.

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Clayton said:

That's tough Matt.  I bought my dad a set of OL irons for fathers day and he hits them better than any other set he's had.  they just... "work" for him.  So well, in fact, I'm thinking more and more of finding a set to play.  Is the problem that they go too far and are bunched up due to the shaft length or what?  I'm also super curious how a 3,4, or 5 iron is with the significantly shorter than normal shaft.

I think it’s because I tend to have a lot of shorter clubs in my hands and the gapping is hard to adjust with a longer shaft hitting wedges. I find if I choke down (I know it defeats the purpose) I am having considerably better contact. I only have a 5 iron then 4 hybrid. The hybrid and 5 iron do seem easy to hit but in comparison to the struggles I’m having with the scoring clubs it’s been difficult to get good scores. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I am sorry to hear that, I can imagine that the entire change could be very difficult.

I do hope that with time you can become used to the one lengths and get back to good scoring.

Thanks. I tend to play a lot of PW-60 at my home course if I hit my driver good so it’s been hard having to think of a different swing when hitting the scoring clubs. I hope they come around in time for the challenge. I am shooting 6ish shots worse on average with the one length and that is primarily due to approach shots. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I think it’s because I tend to have a lot of shorter clubs in my hands and the gapping is hard to adjust with a longer shaft hitting wedges. I find if I choke down (I know it defeats the purpose) I am having considerably better contact. I only have a 5 iron then 4 hybrid. The hybrid and 5 iron do seem easy to hit but in comparison to the struggles I’m having with the scoring clubs it’s been difficult to get good scores. 

That was one of my worries - with what appear to be strong but normal loft gapping I was wondering if the shot gapping would be funky.  Have you gone on a Trackman or something like that to get some averages?  Very curious how that would compare.  Like how far would you hit a 64 or 60 wedge in standard and OL?  

i210, 10.5* M4 @ 44.5", X, TEE 18* ladies edition, two ball, Righty, North of North, Currently stuck in the 80s...

52 minutes ago, Clayton said:

That was one of my worries - with what appear to be strong but normal loft gapping I was wondering if the shot gapping would be funky.  Have you gone on a Trackman or something like that to get some averages?  Very curious how that would compare.  Like how far would you hit a 64 or 60 wedge in standard and OL?  

I need to get in and di a gapping session with both to compare. For reference my current 60 is my 100 yard shot. It won’t go further so I just take a nice smooth swing and if the number is 100 I’ll be between 90-97. 

• Like 1