TESTERS WANTED! ×

We hate dynasty teams in all other sports except golf? Why?

TBS

First credit PMT podcast for posing this question in their latest interview with Brian Baumgartner.

In most other sports the dynasty teams are hated - Bama football (roll tide!), Patriots, Yankees, Lakers etc. BUT we love Tiger (Spieth, Rory, Brooks, to an extent, too. Are they a dynasty? maybe, maybe not)

So why is this? I theorize that golf is more so player vs course, conditions and self rather than team vs team. What do you all think?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

8 hours ago, TBS said:

First credit PMT podcast for posing this question in their latest interview with Brian Baumgartner.

In most other sports the dynasty teams are hated - Bama football (roll tide!), Patriots, Yankees, Lakers etc. BUT we love Tiger (Spieth, Rory, Brooks, to an extent, too. Are they a dynasty? maybe, maybe not)

So  why is this? I theorize that golf is more so player vs course, conditions and self rather than team vs team. What do you all think?

Interesting question.  My guess is that it is because in sports that have hated teams the team is “built” while golf is individual.  Owners of pro teams spend money to attract the best players and build the wining team.  Colleges are paid based on TV exposure and boosters build the best facilities to attract the best players.   Golfers can come from anywhere and their success is largely driven by individual talent and desire.  

fundamentally i think it comes down to team vs individual sports. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Do we really hate dynasties in team sports? 

• Does anyone know a person prior to Tom Brady who would admit to being a Patriots fan? 
  • Can anyone name a Golden State Warriors fan prior to Steph Curry? 
  • Does anyone outside the state of Alabama recall seeing a 'Bama fan in the wild prior to Nick Saban?
  • Are the Yankees hurting for a fanbase and as a franchise considering it's been 12 years since the last World Series appearance?

I think fans like to complain about dynasties in team sports but the evidence doesn't really support the conclusion.  At least not in my mind.  Otherwise, we wouldn't see random Manchester United fans by the thousands in North Carolina.

39 minutes ago, sixcat said:

• Does anyone know a person prior to Tom Brady who would admit to being a Patriots fan? 
  • Does anyone outside the state of Alabama recall seeing a 'Bama fan in the wild prior to Nick Saban?
  • Are the Yankees hurting for a fanbase and as a franchise considering it's been 12 years since the last World Series appearance?

I think fans like to complain about dynasties in team sports but the evidence doesn't really support the conclusion.  At least not in my mind.  Otherwise, we wouldn't see random Manchester United fans by the thousands in North Carolina.

Agree, dynasty teams are popular except for the one or two direct rivalries. 

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Interesting question.  My guess is that it is because in sports that have hated teams the team is “built” while golf is individual.  Owners of pro teams spend money to attract the best players and build the wining team.  Colleges are paid based on TV exposure and boosters build the best facilities to attract the best players.   Golfers can come from anywhere and their success is largely driven by individual talent and desire.  

fundamentally i think it comes down to team vs individual sports. 

Exactly!  Jack, Tiger, Arnie, Hogan, Snead... and others, had to make every one of the swings and putts leading up to their respective dynasty.  Possibly one of the closest sports to golf is boxing - but even that has external factors that can (do) effect the outcome.  Unlike judges scoring the match, golf has no one deciding scores... fewest strokes wins, period.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 hours ago, sixcat said:

I can tell right now I was a HUGE Golden State fan when they had “Run TMC”!!!!! Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin!!!! Deadly, and SO fun to watch! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My answer is it’s the American Way... We love the underdog, and building teams/individuals up, but I think our fans and press like tearing them down even more!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 5/7/2021 at 9:31 AM, LICC said:

Agree, dynasty teams are popular except for the one or two direct rivalries. 

In pro sports maybe, but college sports, definitely not. I've watched Bama games in public all around the country, and unless I'm in a bama bar, no way is the majority wanting the Crimson tide to win. 

I find myself rooting for the underdogs in most sports (Alabama football is my one exclusion), but especially golf and add in March Madness. I see how hard it is to win a golf tournament and I love it when someone wins for the first time, or wins for the first time in 5-10 years. Don't get me wrong, I am in awe of watching the top 10 in the OWGR every year. I don't necessarily root against them, but there is something about watching a player breakthrough for the first time whether that is winning or just making the tour. That raw emotion of finally completing one of their life long goals.

Examples: 

- Joel Dahmen in Punta Cana

- Any Monday qualifier fulfilling the dream / winning (Corey Connors)

- Surprises in 2020-21 season : Comeback Szn Stewart Cink, Robert Streb, & Hudson Swafford.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

9 hours ago, TBS said:

In pro sports maybe, but college sports, definitely not. I've watched Bama games in public all around the country, and unless I'm in a bama bar, no way is the majority wanting the Crimson tide to win. 

You mention watching 'Bama games in public all over the country, which implies you're going to road games or watching in bars.  Bars lean heavily toward the underdog, always have and I suspect, always will.  'Bama may be the underdog once every three seasons.  And you're not going to be the crowd favorite in Knoxville, Athens, Oxford or Fayetteville. 

Just saying, let's be realistic!  People love to hate the dynasty.  Whether anyone is willing to admit it or not, having a team everyone loves to hate is still love when it comes to sports.  It generates eyeballs which generate dollars.  That's why ESPN/ABC can pay a Billion Dollars to be the exclusive broadcaster of the College Football Playoff.  It's the same reason the Game OF The Week is always the Yankees, Lakers, Patriots or Cowboys.  Loads of fans plus loads of people wanting to watch them lose.  Double the pleasure for TV executives and advertisers.  In Tiger's heyday, just as many people tuned in hoping he would fall on his ass as did to see him dominate.

In my travels, I see 'Bama gear in some pretty surprising places and in pretty surprising numbers.  That was definitely not the case 15 years ago!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

You mention watching 'Bama games in public all over the country, which implies you're going to road games or watching in bars.  Bars lean heavily toward the underdog, always have and I suspect, always will.  'Bama may be the underdog once every three seasons.  And you're not going to be the crowd favorite in Knoxville, Athens, Oxford or Fayetteville. 

Just saying, let's be realistic!  People love to hate the dynasty.  Whether anyone is willing to admit it or not, having a team everyone loves to hate is still love when it comes to sports.  It generates eyeballs which generate dollars.  That's why ESPN/ABC can pay a Billion Dollars to be the exclusive broadcaster of the College Football Playoff.  It's the same reason the Game OF The Week is always the Yankees, Lakers, Patriots or Cowboys.  Loads of fans plus loads of people wanting to watch them lose.  Double the pleasure for TV executives and advertisers.  In Tiger's heyday, just as many people tuned in hoping he would fall on his ass as did to see him dominate.

In my travels, I see 'Bama gear in some pretty surprising places and in pretty surprising numbers.  That was definitely not the case 15 years ago!

Good points. I definitely see what you’re saying. 

Jealously. There are more Patriot fans now than prior to B & B. There are more Golden State fans after Steph. People don't hate the dynasty when it is theirs, you just get more energy directed towards it while it is occurring. The other thing is there is no rivalries or ever have been or ever will be. It is just the way golf is. How many times have the 2 best golfers shown up at the same tournament with their A game? Just doesn't happen. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 5/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, PMookie said:

I can tell right now I was a HUGE Golden State fan when they had “Run TMC”!!!!! Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin!!!! Deadly, and SO fun to watch! 

You're a Lions fan no one would accuse you of ever being a bandwagon-er

I grew up in Vegas so I didn't have any local professional teams to root for in the 90s. Born in LA, but the only LA team I ever rooted for was the Dodgers. Picked all of my favorite teams based on my favorite players. My favorite golfer is Tiger Woods, and if it was a team sport, I'd root for whatever team he was on. I think it's harder to do nowdays because players don't stick with franchises, especially in the NBA. Might be our fault (fans) as the only way we seem to measure greatness is how many chips you win, so they all chase them.

I don't hate dynasties, I respect them, but damn I'm glad I don't have to watch the Patriots every. single. Sunday. now!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Individuals. Always has always will. People didn’t love the patriots because of the patriots, it’s widespread because of brady. Just look at tampa bay now. More Fans now then ever.

Do people dislike Serena Williams? Nah she’s the face of tennis just like golf always has a face (these days multiple faces for it). 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 5/7/2021 at 9:50 AM, sixcat said:

•  

I've been a Pats fan my whole life!! 😂 Of course... Tom Brady came under center in 2001 when I was just entering high school.  And I don't remember much of anything prior to Bledsoe being QB.  But they're my hometown team so I grew up rooting for them.  I've been a Bruin's fan all along too.  I really enjoyed being able to get super cheap tickets the night of the game while I was in college.  Celtics sure, but I'm not big into basketball.  I don't think there will ever be a rivalry as good as the Sox and Yankees was prior to the Sox breaking through the curse.  

As for golf, it has to just be because its the individual vs the team.  It's still incredible to see what Tiger did to other pro's in that time was crazy.  We also got some good David vs goliath moments with people challenging Tiger in certain tournaments, but he was in a class of his own.  I like that we're seeing more competition now, and while a guy may go on a run like Spieth did or Brooks on major wins it feels like the competition is deeper and we're unlikely to see one run away with it like he did.  

But with other sports... if you don't happen to be my home team... I don't like dynasties.  😉 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Golf tournaments are stand alone events with little significance beyond the weekend.  Contrast that with other sports where each regular season game impacts the prospects for division, conference and post season play.  The top golfers are already exempt for the majors.  How important is it any given week how many FedEX points someone erns?  

While I respect Alabama, I'm tired of them in the college play offs, so I'll cheer for their opponent on a given weekend.  Two losses and they are probably out.  But does it matter on a Sunday if Joe Pro beats Joe Superstar in the Greater Advertiser Charity Open?  The next Thursday is a new tournament, a new start.      

I agree with the idea that it is mostly the way we follow individual vs. team sports.  In golf, we don't think of players as "our team" the way we do football, baseball, basketball, etc teams.  And dynasty haters become dynasty lovers when it is their team that is dominant.  I'm a Saints fan.  Not a fan of the Patriots.  But if the Saints had a 10 year run of being the best, I would LOVE that dynasty😉

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Lot of good and interesting points in previous posts. I don't know, I guess I kinda equated my all time favorite golfer to my favorite college football team.  I always pulled for Jack Nicklaus back in the day and viewed him much like my favorite college football team. No matter where the golden bear played I wanted only him to win. Just like my favorite college football team..... #RTR😉

Today in golf well its different to me, maybe since I am so much older but I have lots of golfers that I am ok for if they win, no one favorite. I still have my favorites in team sports and that has and will never change.