Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

48th Walker Cup

fixyurdivot

48th Walker Cup  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• GB&I
    • USA

If this topic has already been covered, my apologies (quick look see didn't yield any threads).  The 48th Walker Cup begins tomorrow and it was just announced that a handful of players from both the US and GB&I Teams have come down with a stomach virus 😕.  The team captains are in a bit of a quandary trying to figure out who will be available for play and they are waiting until the last minute to list their player positions.  Each time has two alternates and they have revised the old rules pertaining to how alternates are used.  Previously, if an alternate is used, the player he replaced is out of the event - not the case now largely due to the C19 issue.

As Walker Cup approaches, stomach illness affecting both sides | Golf Channel

2021 Walker Cup: Home

I just watched the introductions and kept wondering which of these faces would soon enough be PGA Tour Sunday contenders.  The US Team is a heavy favorite, but we've recently seen how this has turned out.  Who's going to hoist the cup?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Recognize these two?  Clearly during the pre 2-A-Day gym sessions 🙂.  8 USA and 7 GB&I players had the stomach virus... that's really crazy when you think about it.  

image.png.32c7f5d9fd92b111f8d34dfa503b12e9.png

Hopefully Team USA gets a tax write off for the gift they are working on giving to GB&I.... good grief.

I knew that would work.

So fitting that Stewart Hagestad gets the winning point.  What a truly amazing amateur career this guy has going. I wouldn't rule out his chances of making the team in 2023.

Was able to watch a good bit of this this evening.  Love to see Seminole play the way it was intended; fast & windy!  Great job by both teams, especially with the sickness that went through the teams.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I caught the last few groups today, and like Azinger said, this set-up was on the edge!!!! So tough. I can’t imagine playing a course that hard and fast... Sheesh!!! 
I was cheering for the “old man” in the group who is 30 and actually has a job!!! Unreal to still be that good. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

20 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I caught the last few groups today, and like Azinger said, this set-up was on the edge!!!! So tough. I can’t imagine playing a course that hard and fast... Sheesh!!! 
I was cheering for the “old man” in the group who is 30 and actually has a job!!! Unreal to still be that good. 

There were a lot of great shots and a lot of stinkers.  I agree that the course was setup on the edge; USGA back to their old tricks?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 hours ago, PMookie said:

Yeah, Hagestad don't work 9 to 5 like we do.  That myth was exposed a few years ago.  The Real Estate holdings company he worked for had him on payroll while he travelled the country playing "amateur" golf.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Yeah, Hagestad don't work 9 to 5 like we do.  That myth was exposed a few years ago.  The Real Estate holdings company he worked for had him on payroll while he travelled the country playing "amateur" golf.

This twitter-banter offers no substantiated facts.  I'm not saying its true or false... just that this proves nothing. That a company he works for allows him to take time off to play events dosen't mean he does not work for them.  There are many companies that allow personnel to pursue non work related interests.

In any case, I really admire the guy and his stellar record in tournament play.

35 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This twitter-banter offers no substantiated facts.  I'm not saying its true or false... just that this proves nothing. That a company he works for allows him to take time off to play events dosen't mean he does not work for them.  There are many companies that allow personnel to pursue non work related interests.

In any case, I really admire the guy and his stellar record in tournament play.

I never meant to imply this was somehow proof!  I just threw that in because I thought some of it was entertaining.  Hagestad's own "coworkers" outed him during the 2018 Walker Cup on social media.  It's not a well kept secret.  Google is your friend!

As a matter of fact, he hasn't worked for the Real Estate Holdings firm in almost two years.  He is a student at USC seeking an MBA and has made claims (possibly an attempt at humor) that his goal is to replace Fred Ridley as Chairman of Augusta National.  He leaned into the humorous nature of this himself on social media for a while before making his Instagram account private.  He will post one day from Newport Beach Club and the next day from Seminole, the next day from Augusta National.  He's not working a 9 to 5!

#ProfessionalAmateur

Edit to add:  Eddie Lowery and Harvey Ward were stripped of their amateur status by the USGA in the 60's for the exact same thing.  So, yeah, it is kind of a big deal to some.  Ever read "The Match" by Mark Frost?