Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist Tour Speed

Just did the Titleist ball selector tool and it matched me with the tour speed model. I typically play Snell golf balls, I've wanted to order the optic yellow but they have been out of stock on the website for quite some time now. I was looking at the taylormade tour soft yellow but compression was way too low. I really didn't want to shell out $50 a dozen for prov1/prov1x/avx or the tp5/tp5x. The review from last year paints a pretty good picture of that you are receiving product wise.https://mygolfspy.com/titleist-tour-speed-golf-ball-2020/

These quotes sold me to at least give it a try albeit probably not my gamer but a good option when I wand to play yellow golf balls for the fall or other times throughout the year. At least until Snell MTB-X optic yellow comes back in stock

"no expectation that a golfer who typically plays something in the Pro V1 and AVX family is going to want to step down to Tour Speed but there’s hope that guys currently playing any of the competitors’ balls I mentioned are going to see enough of a performance benefit to step up or, at least, over."

"Tour Speed is being positioned as the not quite tour-level urethane ball that, while not Pro V1 good, is still better than anything its competitors offer in that space."

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 5/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, RollingGreens said:

Just did the Titleist ball selector tool and it matched me with the tour speed model. I typically play Snell golf balls, I've wanted to order the optic yellow but they have been out of stock on the website for quite some time now. I was looking at the taylormade tour soft yellow but compression was way too low. I really didn't want to shell out $50 a dozen for prov1/prov1x/avx or the tp5/tp5x. The review from last year paints a pretty good picture of that you are receiving product wise.https://mygolfspy.com/titleist-tour-speed-golf-ball-2020/

These quotes sold me to at least give it a try albeit probably not my gamer but a good option when I wand to play yellow golf balls for the fall or other times throughout the year. At least until Snell MTB-X optic yellow comes back in stock

"no expectation that a golfer who typically plays something in the Pro V1 and AVX family is going to want to step down to Tour Speed but there’s hope that guys currently playing any of the competitors’ balls I mentioned are going to see enough of a performance benefit to step up or, at least, over."

"Tour Speed is being positioned as the not quite tour-level urethane ball that, while not Pro V1 good, is still better than anything its competitors offer in that space."

I’ve tried the Titleist Tour Speed and was impressed.  I was not expecting much from them but they performed for me.  Price tag more attractive than the “high priced brothers & sisters”.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I had a friend recommend the Tour Speed to me and I bought a dozen. I will say one thing, the ball is long and hot. I liked it but did not find the spin or touch around the greens that great. Honestly, it impressed me as an expensive Velocity. It is ok but I prefer the Chrome Soft, of course now the Chrome Soft has gotten into the price range of the ProV1. Length off the tee is it's strength, if that is the main reason for your purchase, you  will be happy.

15 minutes ago, Tommyboy47 said:

I had a friend recommend the Tour Speed to me and I bought a dozen. I will say one thing, the ball is long and hot. I liked it but did not find the spin or touch around the greens that great. Honestly, it impressed me as an expensive Velocity. It is ok but I prefer the Chrome Soft, of course now the Chrome Soft has gotten into the price range of the ProV1. Length off the tee is it's strength, if that is the main reason for your purchase, you  will be happy.

I tried the Velocity a while back and did not like them at all.  Tour Speed is my less expensive alternative from ProV1x.  I need the height I get from both balls.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Titleist sent me some AVX & Pro V1/x and I like them both. However, hands down, the best balls I've hit are the TM TP5 (x is too hard). Best trajectory, distance, and spin.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I usually use Snell MTB Black, but decided to try both the Titleist Tour Speed and TaylorMade Tour Response.  I liked the TaylorMade Tour Response a lot, but didn't like the Titleist Tour Speed.  The Tour Speed felt too soft to me and I didn't like how if felt off the club face.  I liked how the Tour Response felt off the club face and it seemed to go farther. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max 9°

3W: Cobra Radspeed

Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha 3H

5 - PW: Callaway Mavrik 

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy CB 46°/52°, Jaws Full Toe Chrome 58°

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #7

Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 4 weeks later...

I keep getting "fitted" into the Pro V1, but on the course, it just doesn't do it for me.  I've been using the Tour Speed and have been pretty happy.  Every once in a while I think, "i should try the new Callaway Chrome Soft" (or other more expensive tour ball) and I'm generally disappointed.  I find the Tour Speed to be longer off of the driver and maybe just a touch less spin around the greens, but I'm generally not trying to drop and stop a ball anyway. 

And I've become pretty loyal to Titleist since MGS testing seems to say they have the highest quality control too. 

Flying Fast 

This is why I switched to Z-Stars all the performance of a ProV but there's deals to be had.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The one time I played with @xOldBenKenobiX last year he was very generous in gifting me some Titleist Tour Soft (Still have to pay you back for those Elson) and I was very impressed with them, was able to 1 hop stop a 7i from about 170 to about 8ft. I know its a different ball from the Tour Speed but figured I would share.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

I have recently played some Titleist Tour Soft balls and have found it to be quite long with enough green side spin to satisfy me. And they’re $34.95 per dozen. I’m not a pro, am older and don’t have a high swing speed. MGS cut the ball in half and rated the stats pretty high and I think the performance of the ball is good. The T line on the side is a helpful putting guide. 

I still have a sleeve of them from a pro/am this past winter.  I do like the T-shape alignment mark and they play well for me.  Price wise, they seem to compete in the Maxfli Tour and Snell MTB market.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 12:30 PM, Rickp said:

I’ve tried the Titleist Tour Speed and was impressed.  I was not expecting much from them but they performed for me.  Price tag more attractive than the “high priced brothers & sisters”.  

Also tried the Tour Speed. Played the older NXT Tour ball for years, and was disappointed they dropped it from the lineup. The Tour Speed performed well enough for me, but I did notice a little less spin control around the greens with it and a noticeably lower ball flight off the driver.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 1 month later...

Do a little comparison with the Tour Speed and the e12 Contact.  Of course, one is urethane covered and the other some composite, but just wanted to see how they performed chipping and putting.  Tour Speed had a softer feel and seemed to be easier to putt with.  Ended up closer to the hole.  Don't really know what to make of that other than it just seemed easier to judge how hard to hit it.  When it came to chipping, I really liked the way it reacted when landing on the green.  Even out of the rough, it seemed a little easier to control distance.

I'm going to put it in play on my next round in a couple days.  That will be the real test.

Just for hits and giggles I took a couple sleeves of the Tour Speed out Monday in a scramble event.   Wasn't expecting too much, but from the very first putt...I thought..."Oh Shit, what have Titleist Done?  They may have created a problem here"   

I'm not gong to say it performs exactly like the Pro V I play.  But I'll be damned if I had watched some of the shots I hit intothe green with my wedges and been able to tell a difference.   I holed out a chip from about 40 feet, that stopped spun a bit to the left then tricled in.    Put a 75 yard GW to within 6 inches for birdie on another hole and I think a unrepaired ball mark may have kept it from rolling in the hole.    Every other shot off the wedges performed just as I would have hoped.

Full shots in with irons stopped within 5 to 8 feet of their ball mark.

And the biggest surprise of all and a pleasant one was the sound and feel off the putter. Possibly the best sounding ball of a putter I have ever played.  I've gotten so used to the firmness of the VX and sound, that this took me by surprise and was a very very pleasing sound.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Just for hits and giggles I took a couple sleeves of the Tour Speed out Monday in a scramble event.   Wasn't expecting too much, but from the very first putt...I thought..."Oh s***, what have Titleist Done?  They may have created a problem here"   

I'm not gong to say it performs exactly like the Pro V I play.  But I'll be damned if I had watched some of the shots I hit intothe green with my wedges and been able to tell a difference.   I holed out a chip from about 40 feet, that stopped spun a bit to the left then tricled in.    Put a 75 yard GW to within 6 inches for birdie on another hole and I think a unrepaired ball mark may have kept it from rolling in the hole.    Every other shot off the wedges performed just as I would have hoped.

Full shots in with irons stopped within 5 to 8 feet of their ball mark.

And the biggest surprise of all and a pleasant one was the sound and feel off the putter. Possibly the best sounding ball of a putter I have ever played.  I've gotten so used to the firmness of the VX and sound, that this took me by surprise and was a very very pleasing sound.

I tried the Tour Speed also and was very surprised and pleased with them,  Very Close to v1x to me.  I was never a big fan of the AVX, too low trajectory.

Rick

Left Hand, 

damnit now I want to try these 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

51 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

damnit now I want to try these 

You should, and You're welcome 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You should, and You're welcome 🙂

already ordered 🙃

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I picked up 1 dozen used, going to put them in play on Monday for a scramble on a course I just played with a ProV1X. Should be an interesting comparison as I hit a lot of driver to gauge distance and full shots with each 4 of my wedges into greens (45-50-54-60 degrees) to compare stopping power. I hope the MGS hype is real because these balls are real cheap for AAAA used and in great shape since they are a newer release.

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 minute ago, BMart519 said:

I picked up 1 dozen used, going to put them in play on Monday for a scramble on a course I just played with a ProV1X. Should be an interesting comparison as I hit a lot of driver to gauge distance and full shots with each 4 of my wedges into greens (45-50-54-60 degrees) to compare stopping power. I hope the MGS hype is real because these balls are real cheap for AAAA used and in great shape since they are a newer release.

Let us know how it works for you.  I don’t have any right now but plan to get more when current stash of balls gets low.  Used balls in Excellent condition is definitely something I’ll look into.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Further comparisons with the Tour Speed left me unimpressed.  I didn't see any performance benefit over the e12 Contact, which is my current gamer.  It's a good ball and I could certainly play it, but I found the e12 gave me more distance without giving up any performance when hitting into the green.  Putting was pretty neutral but I'm probably used to the e12 so it's hard to judge between the two.

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

during the 2021 ball test, didnt the Tour Speed fly the furthest on day 2? like 305 in the air? 

It was mentioned during NPG as a ball that was surprise, so I’m anxiously waiting to see where it ends up when they release the data.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

13 minutes ago, PMookie said:

It was mentioned during NPG as a ball that was surprise, so I’m anxiously waiting to see where it ends up when they release the data.

Yes, I saw that too, but it really didn't surprise me.  Was it a good ball?  Absolutely, but I guess I was expecting something more.  I really thought I would see better performance hitting into the green, but my swing speed is probably not fast enough to see a difference.

I really had trouble with distance control on the green when putting.  The feel was just not there for me.  Personally, I think the Maxfli Tour (my previous gamer) was much easier to judge distance.  I did a little putting comparison with the Maxfli Tour and the e12 and I found them very, very close when it came to distance control.

I normally play the ProV1x but forget to bring extras on our vacation in Bar Harbor, Maine. Will try a sleeve tomorrow morning of the Tour Speed.

Will keep you posted.

STZ230 Driver w/Ventus TR Blue 5R, Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW,  T7 Mizuno SW - 56 and LW - 60, Srixon F85 3W 15*, 5W Mizuno STX 18*, CLK -3 Hybrid 21*. Putter L.A.B. Golf DF2.1 Red. 

Prov1x & TM TP5x 2024

Just now, acemaker said:

I normally play the ProV1x but forget to bring extras on our vacation in Bar Harbor, Maine. Will try a sleeve tomorrow morning of the Tour Speed.

Will keep you posted.

"People don't care what you know until they know that you care."

STZ230 Driver w/Ventus TR Blue 5R, Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW,  T7 Mizuno SW - 56 and LW - 60, Srixon F85 3W 15*, 5W Mizuno STX 18*, CLK -3 Hybrid 21*. Putter L.A.B. Golf DF2.1 Red. 

Prov1x & TM TP5x 2024

Wanted to piggyback on this thread. I currently game the Snell MTB-X but also been considering the Tour Speed as well as the Maxfli Tour ball. Anyone here have some experience with either of these balls and the MTB-X?

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

I bought a dozen because they were out of 2019 ProV1x

I wanted to compare the TOUR SPEED to the TM Tour response and Srixon Q star tour.

I saw no major differences practicing with each pitching, chipping and putting. I don't like the double arrow on the side.

Played 27 holes with the TOUR SPEED and I would agree with most. It has good stopping power with scoring clubs, 7i - wedges. Maybe equal to ProV1 but for me the TOUR SPEED had a lower flight. The short game was very very good. Pitching/chipping, I drop 6 - 8 within a foot. Putts very true, similar to me like a ProV1 or x. I cannot really commend on distance, I just reshafted my irons so I am still dialing them in. I played in windy conditions too, I am not sure the TOUR SPEED is as good thru the wind. I haven't lost any yet.

The price is okay but not low like the TM Tour response and Srixon Q star tour.

WITB 

TM M5 9(10.5) - Fujikura PRO 2.0 6R][ Titleist TS2 16.5(17.25) - Diamana Thump ][ Titleist 917F 21 - Diamana S+ 72

Titleist TSi2 5 (24) - Tensei Raw AV Blue 65 ][ Titleist 818H 27 - GD Tour AD DI 85

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6 - PW, N.S. Pro MODUS3 Tour 120

Vega VW-06 52, 56, 60

Ping B60 and/or

Scotty Cameron STUDIO STAINLESS® LAGUNA 2.5 and/or 

Mizuno M-Craft V - 34"