Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping driver ping irons

Are you wanting to get away from Ping? I just went through a driver fitting with the idea that I would leave with a new G425. It turned out to be among the worst for me. Get fitted. I generally don't like Taylormade but I ended up leaving with a Sim2 max. It fit my swing very well with the ventus shaft. I was a little shocked. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

I totally agree with "Usmcgyrene" on getting fitted for your next driver.  I was fitted with a Ping G400 driver a few years ago.  When the Ping G410 was introduced I bought one off the rack thinking I would step up my swing speed and have more control, however, the G410 didn't perform as well as the G400.  While I should have learned my lesson, I bit at a Ping G425, and that's when I realized that the G400 was fit to me, while the clubs off the rack are set up for the average golfer - I've since sold the G425 at about a $100 loss.  The G400 is still keeping up with my friends with the "latest and greatest" newer clubs.  Get fitted and you will see and feel the difference.

Started playing late in life, but as I got older I found that golf is a much better activity than a lot of things old folks get into, plus I meet some of the nicest most interesting people!

As a fitter I've had Callaway, TM, Cobra & Ping. The only Callaway I liked was the Fusion Heavy (-1" 12g wt), and hit it beautifully until I was handed a Ping G400MAX at the PGA Show. Ping fit me with a shorter shaft and I killed it! It's been in my bag 3 years and not going anywhere! Re irons, I love the Callaway Apex and Ping i500's, which are currently in my bag. Having been to TM, Callaway, Titleist, and Ping factories, you won't go wrong with any products from these companies. Just buy what you like and hit the best...just be sure you're fitted by a certified fitter.

Edited by HDTVMAN

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I was fitted for the Ping G400 driver after not hitting driver for several years. I was tired of leaving 10-20 yards out there by hitting 3-wood off the tee. I loved the G400 so much that I ended up getting fit the following year with the G410 3-wood and 5-wood. Love them both and hit the heck out of them. But I started getting very inconsistent with my driver last year. After reading a MGS study about the results of hitting a 43.75" driver compared to the standard 45.75" driver (https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/) I bit the bullet and had my club fitter cut two inches off my G400.  Three months later, the results:  hitting it just as long if not longer as always and hitting 50% more fairways than I was before and my misses are not as dramatic.  I'm more confident over the shorter club and am no longer afraid to pull out driver on a long par 4 even when there might be big trouble left or right. Not saying it's right for everyone, but since we're on the subject of club fitting, I might suggest anyone who has a problem controlling a standard length driver may want to experiment with a shorter shaft.

Ping G400 Driver, Ping G410 3W & 5W, Cobra King F9 4h, Cobra King F9 irons (5 - GW), Cleveland CBX Wedges (54* and 60*), Odyssey Toe Up 1 Putter

If you are looking for more consistency in your driver and the ability to move the ball either way, then I would recommend a Cobra driver.  Again, just like the Ping drivers there are different models so find a Cobra that works for you.  If you are into distance then probably Taylor Made or Callaway will work for you.  In any case. make sure to test and get fitted for the proper driver.  Also, the shaft that is standard may not be the right one, try many variations to get the right trajectory and spin rates for optimal performance.

WITB - Cobra Dvr, 3wd, 18 degree hybrid & 16.5 degree hybrid, PING I200 irons 4-PW, Ping wedges AW, SW & putter

I played g400 liked, g410 did not like, went for 425 fitting? Ended up hitting and loving the Mizuno stz  with px evenflow !!!no a mizie man!!!

Edited by TheFonzzz

Two steps forwards one step back!