TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you rebound from a bad round?

Just curious how my fellow spies approach a curious mental game question; how do you come back mentally from a bad round?

I had my worst round in over 3 years, at a course I know, where I’ve shot 73 a couple of times. It was a windy day, but I put up a monster score of 92, and that included a birdie! I’m a 4 handicap, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve played so poorly. 

The question is, how to handle that? Just brush it off as a bad round and move on? Go get a pro to look at my swing? Take a little break from practice? Play more? Play less?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Na sounds like a one off .. even pros have bad rounds .. I would just brush it off and see how the next round goes or even hit the range see how the swing is going but if you do see a trend in the wrong direction then you should go see a pro ? 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Do you make an adjustment after you hit one bad tee shot or one bad iron shot or one bad putt?  While you may not be happy,  you probably just try to make a better swing next time.  Bad rounds happen;  why do you need to change anything if you have been playing good golf up until then.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just think of it as having gotten all the bad swings/breaks/luck out of the way all in one round!  You should be golden for a while now.

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

It is what it is. I'm going through lessons (swing changes) right now and think I'll be swaggering around the course but my game says otherwise. I just brush it off and know that there's always next time...like Browns fans.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

One bad round is nothing to worry about. Your best to forget it as quickly as possible and just play the game next time out.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Make note of the things you did well and poorly during the round. Spend some practice time targeted in the areas that caused your problems. Then you will get the feeling you’ve fixed the issue after getting some reps in

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

6 hours ago, Micah T said:

The question is, how to handle that? Just brush it off as a bad round and move on? Go get a pro to look at my swing? Take a little break from practice? Play more? Play less?

Feces occurs!  Fahget about it!  Move on!  Tomorrow's another day!  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Spend more time at the 19th hole!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

It’s hard, but I try to go into a round with no expectations or goals. Like Vince Vaughn said in Dodgeball, “I find it’s better to not have any goals, that way if you miss there’s no disappointment!” I just remind myself I’m on a golf course instead of sitting in an office and enjoy the time I have out there. The more aggravated I get at bad shots the worse it gets.

When I play I go and just play. I find trying to fix something/try something new or make adjustments mid round usually just makes it worse. So I head back home and hit the net or the range when I can to work on changes and improvements. 

Sure maybe it’s different if I was a 4 hdcp, but since I’m far from that, I just try my best to enjoy playing the game. Bad rounds happen to everyone. Usually me majority of the time 🤣

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

Currently I get in my car and immediately after the round and start watching videos on Lag, early release, and anything to fix my pull hook. After watching 3-4 videos I head home and take half swings with a wedge in my office. Then I tell my wife I am quitting for a while. 3 days later I set a tee time for when our daughter naps and start the cycle over Again. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

A few thoughts that probably aren’t much different from the others posted this far...

1. Even the Pros can have a terrible round or a terrible start to a tourney. Shake it off

2. That birdie you mentioned...really analyze what happened on that hole. Was it a smooth, easy swing off the tee that started you off in good position? Or just good grinding out and getting out from trouble to a great spot? Great putt to finish? I’d try to gravitate towards what I did on that particular hole and really try to make it a point of emphasis to ingrain that mindset for my next round.

3. Maybe watch some “worst shanks” YouTube videos. Always makes me feel better seeing someone who’s way better than me hit shots off the reservation for some reason! 

4. Get back on the horse ASAP. You got this!

image.jpeg

We all have bad rounds.  We've had them before; we will have them again.  "We" being amateurs with a 40 HCP and touring pros.  The more you dwell on it, the harder it is to finally have a good round.  Be positive and keep working your practice routine.  The next good round will seem easy... like "I can do this all the time"; and then the golf gods hear you.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/8/2021 at 2:45 PM, Micah T said:

Depending on if it's a trend and I've pieced a few bad rounds in a row or if it's just one bad round intermixed between other scores I'd expect.

I'll take a look at stats first and go through the round as I'm sure you already did.  Was it a few blow up holes that caused it or just all around more bogey's and higher than usual?  If it's the latter, I might concentrate on a few more range sessions and definitely more putting/chipping practice.  If a lot of my bad numbers were based on OB/Hazards off the tee, I will try to play much more conservatively the next round or two until my confidence comes back.   Usually only hit drivers on par 5's and if it's a tighter hole, I'll still only take a hybrid off the tee.

Since it sounds like it's a course you play often, try to cancel out the the shots from the last round with previous ones that you played each hole really well.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

@juspoole

Seems like a 1 off: I tripled bogeyed all 4 par 3! It was a windy day, and I wasn't taking enough club to carry all the water hazards, which is a feature of this course. There is water on virtually every hole; on the par 3's its mandatory carries, on the 4's and 5's its usually along one side, or both.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 5/8/2021 at 2:45 PM, Micah T said:

Just curious how my fellow spies approach a curious mental game question; how do you come back mentally from a bad round?

I had my worst round in over 3 years, at a course I know, where I’ve shot 73 a couple of times. It was a windy day, but I put up a monster score of 92, and that included a birdie! I’m a 4 handicap, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve played so poorly. 

I brush it off by having a few beers in the clubhouse or at a local bar after my round and telling myself that I played my best and that my best today just wasnt good enough.  A wise Zen master once said that if you live every day of your life giving your best, you can go to bed that night knowing that you gave it your best shot and you can be at peace with how the day turned out.

Ive always kept that in mind in all aspects of my life, especially on the golf course and that mindset has allowed me to never have a bad day on the course.  That and if all else fails, beer helps. LOL

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 5/8/2021 at 1:45 PM, Micah T said:

They happen, it’s golf, so I chalk it up to it being an anomaly, go to the range for a few days to get the positive vibes back, and play again... Frustrating, and can be embarrassing if one’s with friends, but it happens.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...

Every round of mine this year has basically been a bad round.  But come Monday morning, I'm fiending to get back out there.  Just have to keep swinging    

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet