TESTERS WANTED! ×

Complete Putter Fitting - Scotty Cameron 5.5 Phantom Review

Jeff P.

I couldn't help myself. I went in to get fit for a putter... already having the Evnroll ER2B in the bag (which I love!), and a Scotty Cameron Special Select Del Mar at home. Let's just get this out of the way up front... I have a problem. 

However, I have never went through a true proper putter fitting before, and wanted to get some real data into my putting game. Using the SAM putt lab, it was interesting to see that I had a relatively straight-back/straight-through stroke, yet I needed some toe hang due to my swing path. That was something that I never put together.

**Side note - I will say that after only doing like 7 putts with the SAM putt lab and for it to give all this data -- and the rep to say, "that's it, 7 putts and there's your answer"... I left a little curious and wondered that if it was a different day, with some different putter stroke feelings, if I would've gotten the same results. (That discussion is for another day.)

While I appreciated the honesty from the rep saying that I didn't really need a new putter because the Del Mar would work well with my stroke, I couldn't look away from the Scotty Cameron 5.5. I have ALWAYS wanted a putter with this shape. I tried playing the Toulon Las Vegas H7 (? can't remember if that's the name, but the one with toe hang) but I hated the feel. The deep mill patter on that face really gives it a feeling that did not suit me. But damn that putter was sexy. I digress... 

While I honestly prefer the look of the Odyssey, I couldn't turn away from "Justin Thomas' putter." So what did I do? I did what every conservative, budget minded person would do. I bought a new putter.

And as weird as this may sound, this is the first Scotty since the Del Mar (something about that Golo 3/Newport 3/Del Mar shape that sucks me in) that I absolutely love everything about it. I love the weighting. I think the sound/feel is where I want it to be. And so far, I've putted very well with it. I've previously had the Newport 2 (just because it's Tiger's putter), and experimented with many of the 2019 Phantom lineup... but could never settle on something that made me forget about the other putters out there. But the 5.5 really fits my eye. I absolutely love the short slant neck. I'm a little curious why Scotty only went with the short slant in the 5.5 and not the 11.5. That might have made the decision a little more difficult. 

But as it is... I bought it and have zero regrets!! I took a couple videos you can check out to see it in action. Again, the weighting of the putter feels amazing. The sound/feel is firm and crisp, but I wouldn't call it "clicky." The face length looks just ever-so-slightly long, but nothing that looks bad. If I could suggest just one thing to Scotty... fix the dang head cover! I don't like the 'split' bottom cover, but it's a minor problem. 

Now I knew that going into a true putter fitting would be dangerous for me (remember I said I have a problem). I would be able to get my hands on every type of putter. I went in this day knowing that I wanted to get fit for a Scotty. Nothing else. I wanted a true Scotty Cameron putter that was fit for me. 

...but I saw something that I haven't been able to stop thinking about. Remember I said I (previously) have Evnroll ER2B in that bag?! Well at the fitting... I saw the Evnroll ER2-V, with the short slant neck. Are you catching on to a theme?

And it was just one of those things, I haven't been able to shake. But when I looked it up on their website, they didn't have the "murdered out" version. Which really stinks. So what did I do? I, of course, emailed Evnroll and asked if they could do a special order and do the ER2V murdered out. Please, if anyone knows a good counselor, let me know.

There was a part of me wishing they were going to come back and say "Of course we can! But it's going to be double the price..." -- and that would have ended it right there. (Most likely.)

Well, they responded... "yea of course! It's only $40 more to get it "murdered out." Damn. 

So now I have an Evnroll ER2V-B short slant neck that has been custom ordered and hopefully shipping this week. Again, anyone know a good counselor?!

For now the Scotty 5.5 is staying in the bag... but will likely be on display in my office after the new putter comes in. And it's only because that I honestly have never putter so well as I have with my ER2B. And now, it'll be fit for me and have the look I've always wanted with the slant neck.

Just know that it's not the Scotty 5.5's fault! It's not due to lack of feel, looks... anything. Again, I absolutely love the 5.5 putter. And again, the purpose of my fitting was for me was to truly get fit for a Scotty Cameron. This is one that I'll keep forever. I love everything about it. 

Ping G410 LST

Mizuno MP-20

Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2B

Welcome to MGS. Nice review, thanks for sharing! I found the putter fitting part off my bag fitting the least convincing. The numbers say I need to move on from the B61 but there are so many putters to consider, I'm going to take some time on this one.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

For sure! One thing not to over look... the grip. There is something about the Gravity Grip (which I have on the Evnroll) that does more for me than I think I give credit to. Even though that putter doesn't "match" my putting stroke, I still putt really good with it. And I believe a lot of that is due to the fact that I can feel my hands square the club face during impact. Might want to check that out. 

Ping G410 LST

Mizuno MP-20

Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2B

Where I fit we have the SAM, I've gone thru it, gotten my measurements, and moved on. I decided to purchase a Bettinardi QB6 and get fitted in their Chicago area studio. Comparing Bettinardi's Studio B to a SAM fitting was like comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy! Camera's, computers, lights...absolutely no comparison. Plus, my QB6 was built to my specs in front of my eyes! SAM said I needed a slight toe hang, Bettinardi gave me the exact specs of lie, loft, angles, everything! Plus I have the new Lamkin Sink Fit Jumbo grip, which is the most solid putting grip I've ever used, as it doesn't feel "slick" in humid or wet weather. 

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I bought a putter that was supposed to fit my stroke and it was a disaster.  I traded it for one that was for a slight curve stroke (mine is straight) and it works great. 

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

You say you got fitted and then riff on various putters.  I know the deal.  I have possibly 100 putters acquired over the years. I love them all—for awhiile.  I’m all about feel—but I digress.  I average 27-28 putts per round at a 5.4 index but in addition to whatever skill I have, it’s essential that the putter(s) that I use are configured properly.  

You’ve got the toe hang thing down but you said nothing about loft and lie both of which are critical to accuracy. You can buy all the putters in the world but if the loft and lie are wrong you’ll never putt well.  

42 minutes ago, Jshaver said:

You say you got fitted and then riff on various putters.  I know the deal.  I have possibly 100 putters acquired over the years. I love them all—for awhiile.  I’m all about feel—but I digress.  I average 27-28 putts per round at a 5.4 index but in addition to whatever skill I have, it’s essential that the putter(s) that I use are configured properly.  

You’ve got the toe hang thing down but you said nothing about loft and lie both of which are critical to accuracy. You can buy all the putters in the world but if the loft and lie are wrong you’ll never putt well.  

Good catch.. I did get those details, just thought those were kinda a given that I got that from SAM.

I was told I need 67 degree lie angle and 2 degree loft from the fitting. The fitter was great and adjusted my current putters and the new one to those specs. I also used those to order my new Evnroll.

Last thing... I should’ve left out the details of the other putters (LOL).. it was my first “review” and decided to tell more of the story instead of focusing on just the putter.

So let me ask... of all your putters, what’s your top favorites?

Ping G410 LST

Mizuno MP-20

Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2B

1 hour ago, warbirdlover said:

I bought a putter that was supposed to fit my stroke and it was a disaster.  I traded it for one that was for a slight curve stroke (mine is straight) and it works great. 

How were you fitted? I’ve been through “fittings” where I’ve been told I need face-balance and then another saying I need a lot of toe hang.... it’s worth an investment to at least get more knowledge into what your stroke truly is.

Ping G410 LST

Mizuno MP-20

Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2B

I am putter crazy too.  Got so many now my wife thinks I get one every week. Been gaming the 5.5 for over 2 years now.  Longest I ever had a putter in my bag in over 60 years of playing.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

That looks like the 4th at High Meadow Ranch....

2-PW 1997 TM Burner Tour Blades
TM Burner Wedges 55,60
My distances are still buttery and spot on.

More Hogan additions coming
Hogan GS53 Max - Thank you www.TrueGolfFit.com

I'm with ya...I think the Del Mar is one of the most beautiful putters on the planet.  That being said, I am currently in the market for a new putter as well.  I have gamed it for a long time, switching back and forth between a few others I have, but I recently have begun to lose faith in the Ol' Girl.  I have never been for a putter fitting, just go with what looks and feels good to me (maybe that's why I suck at putting).  I like the looks of the 5.5 as well but I may think about looking at going completely in the opposite direction and maybe try an Odyssey for a softer feel.  Who knows.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 5/11/2021 at 6:14 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I'm with ya...I think the Del Mar is one of the most beautiful putters on the planet.  That being said, I am currently in the market for a new putter as well.  I have gamed it for a long time, switching back and forth between a few others I have, but I recently have begun to lose faith in the Ol' Girl.  I have never been for a putter fitting, just go with what looks and feels good to me (maybe that's why I suck at putting).  I like the looks of the 5.5 as well but I may think about looking at going completely in the opposite direction and maybe try an Odyssey for a softer feel.  Who knows.

Maybe we could start a "putters anonymous" group. Yea I really struggle with the balance of feel... part of me loves the idea of a "softer feel", but having played without an insert forever, I think it would take a while to get use to the new feel and sound. If I miss hit on the Scotty, I get instant feedback. A couple things to also keep in mind... what ball do you play?? I'm playing the new ProV1, which I think has a slightly softer feel compared to past models. Last year, I played the Bridgestone Tour BX-S (Tiger's Ball)... I'll say that ball felt amazing from tee to green. Hard off the tee, soft around the greens. Even with a Scotty.

Also, the Phantom line has a thicker head compared to the Del Mar... and I do think that gives it some "softer feel" characteristics. But you'll just have to go try it out and find what works for you.

I feel dumb for talking so much about Evnroll in my "Scotty Review"... but personally, that is probably the best feeling putter I have that doesn't have an insert. I has a softer feel than a Scotty, but yet, has the sound/feel of a premium steel putter.

Sounds like you'll just have to get more putters... lol  

Ping G410 LST

Mizuno MP-20

Vokey SM8

Evnroll ER2B

On 5/14/2021 at 9:40 AM, Jeff P. said:

Maybe we could start a "putters anonymous" group. Yea I really struggle with the balance of feel... part of me loves the idea of a "softer feel", but having played without an insert forever, I think it would take a while to get use to the new feel and sound. If I miss hit on the Scotty, I get instant feedback. A couple things to also keep in mind... what ball do you play?? I'm playing the new ProV1, which I think has a slightly softer feel compared to past models. Last year, I played the Bridgestone Tour BX-S (Tiger's Ball)... I'll say that ball felt amazing from tee to green. Hard off the tee, soft around the greens. Even with a Scotty.

Also, the Phantom line has a thicker head compared to the Del Mar... and I do think that gives it some "softer feel" characteristics. But you'll just have to go try it out and find what works for you.

I feel dumb for talking so much about Evnroll in my "Scotty Review"... but personally, that is probably the best feeling putter I have that doesn't have an insert. I has a softer feel than a Scotty, but yet, has the sound/feel of a premium steel putter.

Sounds like you'll just have to get more putters... lol  

I took out an Odyssey Stroke Lab Marxman the other day and played with it for a round.  It was a face balanced model and I found that I putted pretty well on most greens.  The main difference for me was on long putts.  I found it hard to get the distance control with the insert.  It felt like I was hitting the ball with a pillow.  I can't say that this was a bad thing and I know after a few rounds I would obviously get the feel for it, but like you, coming from an all steel putter it was just different.  I think I am going to go this weekend for a putter fitting.  I took a video of my stroke from above and I have a weird putting stroke.  Mine is more of a straight back then I seem to cut across the ball on my forward swing.  So I am not sure if one would consider me to have a straight back straight through, slight arc or what.  Guess I want someone to tell me which type of putter I should try.  As you know, the Del-Mar has a pretty big toe hang, and I do miss a lot of short putts to the left so who knows.  The struggle is real though. haha

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

9 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I took out an Odyssey Stroke Lab Marxman the other day and played with it for a round.  It was a face balanced model and I found that I putted pretty well on most greens.  The main difference for me was on long putts.  I found it hard to get the distance control with the insert.  It felt like I was hitting the ball with a pillow.  I can't say that this was a bad thing and I know after a few rounds I would obviously get the feel for it, but like you, coming from an all steel putter it was just different.  I think I am going to go this weekend for a putter fitting.  I took a video of my stroke from above and I have a weird putting stroke.  Mine is more of a straight back then I seem to cut across the ball on my forward swing.  So I am not sure if one would consider me to have a straight back straight through, slight arc or what.  Guess I want someone to tell me which type of putter I should try.  As you know, the Del-Mar has a pretty big toe hang, and I do miss a lot of short putts to the left so who knows.  The struggle is real though. haha

It is just an arc'd stroke that is biased to the left. because of this your putter appears to go straight back and then come to the inside.  Haven't measured mine in a while but this is how my stroke works.  Ball position will have an influence but you typically want a putter with some toe hang to keep it open to the path.  My guess on the  miss on the short putts would be that you are looking to see if the ball is going in the hole and open your shoulders too early.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It is just an arc'd stroke that is biased to the left. because of this your putter appears to go straight back and then come to the inside.  Haven't measured mine in a while but this is how my stroke works.  Ball position will have an influence but you typically want a putter with some toe hang to keep it open to the path.  My guess on the  miss on the short putts would be that you are looking to see if the ball is going in the hole and open your shoulders too early.  

Could be.  So maybe a slight toe hang and not a severe one like the Del Mar?  I have never been a good putter, I don't three putt a lot of greens but I also don't make a lot of 12 footers either.  I just feel like I am leaving a lot of scoring opportunities out there.  I, like most, have always just picked up a putter that looks good and I just go with that.  I am thinking it's time to see what an expert thinks instead of my jacked up mind. 

54 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Could be.  So maybe a slight toe hang and not a severe one like the Del Mar?  I have never been a good putter, I don't three putt a lot of greens but I also don't make a lot of 12 footers either.  I just feel like I am leaving a lot of scoring opportunities out there.  I, like most, have always just picked up a putter that looks good and I just go with that.  I am thinking it's time to see what an expert thinks instead of my jacked up mind. 

I don't really look at toe hang a lot since putter weight would influence the rotation.   Heavier putters would rotate slower than a lighter putter so you need to figure out the combination that lets you start the ball on line.    You can always pick up a putter and figure out how to putt with it;  that is called fitting yourself to the putter.  Dont know how many 12 footers you think you should make,  but typical make percentages on the PGA tour is 30%

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thank you for your putter fitting experience.  Your seven putts on the SAM putt lab must have been pretty consistent for the fitter to say he's got it.   I have my first putter fitting in about three weeks and I'm anxious to see what the data says.  I wish I had a logical or data driven methodology for picking my prior putters, but that's not the case.   I've always seemed to like mallets over a blade putter.  I'm not sure why, but hopefully the fitting will tell me if my bias helped or ultimately hurt my putting all these years.  

It will be interesting to see what they say.  My current putter is a discontinued Brainstorm V1 Happy Putter mallet.  With it I can change the loft, lie, weight, offset and even right or left handedness with an easy twist of a wrench.  As long as they don't say I need a blade putter or that I should take up tennis, I might be able to escape without a major purchase.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Nice review and I completely agree with you about the Scotty Cameron Head Covers! They kinda suck with that split velcro BS... You pay upward of $400 for a putter and get this velcro head cover... when other MFGs with cheaper price points have nicer magnetic covers... I don't get it.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos: