TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting Mat or Personal Launch monitor

What aid to get?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What training aid would you benefit more more?

• Personal Launch monitor
    • Putting Mat
    • Save your money for lessons and more playing

Birthday is around the corner and i think i could pull for one of these two things. The putting mat would be less wallet hit but the MLM might help my game more. Adam Young and others broke down that about 60% of your strokes come from Driving and Approach game, and that has me thinking more about the monitor. In hindsight, plyaing more could help that part of my game out as well. A putting mat (putt out has a slim version that is tempting me) could then be an everyday 5-10 minutes a day and really get my stroke down. For those of you improving your game, what route would you go? 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I have both and for me it would be Launch Monitor all day every day. 

I have a putt out green collecting dust, I'll make you a good deal on it. Probably used it for 1 hour total. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I'm a big fan of the Swing Caddie monitors which come in a range of prices and work pretty well indoors. The 40-100 yard approach mode is great for working on partial wedges. The only thing I use my puttout mat for is to putt down a metal yardstick which could be duplicated with a $10-$20 piece of fabric or towel on hard floors. The MLM does look cool, only downside is the battery drain on phones and overheating in the sun. 

If I was ever to buy another putting mat it would be the 25' long Well Putt mat so I could do ladder drills from 10-25' in doors. The ruler is a much cheaper and more accurate way to work on start line than Putt Out. Putt Out's develop a nice groove, as long as you don't smash the putt, it becomes very easy to roll it along the channel into their pressure putt trainer (which makes a great ball return at the end of a yard stick...). 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

4 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I'm a big fan of the Swing Caddie monitors which come in a range of prices and work pretty well indoors. The 40-100 yard approach mode is great for working on partial wedges. The only thing I use my puttout mat for is to putt down a metal yardstick which could be duplicated with a $10-$20 piece of fabric or towel on hard floors. The MLM does look cool, only downside is the battery drain on phones and overheating in the sun. 

If I was ever to buy another putting mat it would be the 25' long Well Putt mat so I could do ladder drills from 10-25' in doors. The ruler is a much cheaper and more accurate way to work on start line than Putt Out. Putt Out's develop a nice groove, as long as you don't smash the putt, it becomes very easy to roll it along the channel into their pressure putt trainer (which makes a great ball return at the end of a yard stick...). 

Which swing caddie do you have, I’m considering the sc200 plus, or the PRGR.

Ya muddafucka you...

1 minute ago, PawlyWalnuts said:

Which swing caddie do you have, I’m considering the sc200 plus, or the PRGR.

I went old school and got the original SC200 off eBay. 

Pro Tip - if you swing in front of it without hitting a ball, "Ball Speed" is you club speed. You don't need the SC200+ 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

Birthday is around the corner and i think i could pull for one of these two things. The putting mat would be less wallet hit but the MLM might help my game more. Adam Young and others broke down that about 60% of your strokes come from Driving and Approach game, and that has me thinking more about the monitor. In hindsight, plyaing more could help that part of my game out as well. A putting mat (putt out has a slim version that is tempting me) could then be an everyday 5-10 minutes a day and really get my stroke down. For those of you improving your game, what route would you go? 

Go for it all!!! Lol

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I would say after one session with the Rapsodo and previously owning a Garmin G80, that the MLM works to help you if you use it to track your tendencies with each club.  Then fixing those tendencies would probably require professional help.  Like for me when I film myself I see a slight over the top move and early release, the ball tells me a different story (I'm in a groove of hitting tight draws or straigt), then my coach tells me to not trust video becuase the slightess angle off will really lie to you.  That being said, without the coaching part, watching myself on the Rapsodo would sed me into youtube binge of "fixes" that I don't need and will actually hurt my swing.  But the data I get can help me with dialling in my swing changes to get launch down or to work on maximizing my efficiency with the ball speed. Okay, ramble done.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

Here is my honest response.  I don't think short putting mats (under 20') are really worth it.  You can use at home things to make gates or a yardstick to work on your putting at home.   Speed control is something that you need to work on and the only ways are a long mat or an ExPutt.  I do love my ExPutt and it has helped my distance putting.   Launch monitors are great and I would love to have one myself.    But I voted for lessons;  having read a lot of your post my interpretation is you are looking for equipment to improve your game and you keep questioning the equipment you have bought.   I don't get the impression that you are buying equipment for the enjoyment of the equipment.   For that reason,  I would get lessons to help improve your game.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

41 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Here is my honest response.  I don't think short putting mats (under 20') are really worth it.  You can use at home things to make gates or a yardstick to work on your putting at home.   Speed control is something that you need to work on and the only ways are a long mat or an ExPutt.  I do love my ExPutt and it has helped my distance putting.   Launch monitors are great and I would love to have one myself.    But I voted for lessons;  having read a lot of your post my interpretation is you are looking for equipment to improve your game and you keep questioning the equipment you have bought.   I don't get the impression that you are buying equipment for the enjoyment of the equipment.   For that reason,  I would get lessons to help improve your game.  

Thanks for the candidness. Ya some of it is improving although my Saturday fitting/lesson was eye opening to me and changed my mental state to get better with what I have. The problem I have is I hear so many ideas from different pros (three different people gave me different setups on how to swing a club for example) that to me things were just confusing. I know deep down working with someone and doing lessons on the course is like the next step I need to take. 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

Interesting that nobody is choosing putting so far

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

1 minute ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks for the candidness. Ya some of it is improving although my Saturday fitting/lesson was eye opening to me and changed my mental state to get better with what I have. The problem I have is I hear so many ideas from different pros (three different people gave me different setups on how to swing a club for example) that to me things were just confusing. I know deep down working with someone and doing lessons on the course is like the next step I need to take. 

Just like club fitting,  instructors have their approaches and methods to help people improve.   Choose a single instructor and make sure you are both on the same page with what you want to accomplish.   Lots of ways to swing a club.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am a data guy, and just got the MEVO launch monitor. I love this thing. Hitting at the range it seems very accurate as well (perhaps not spin, as you can see in a few reviews, but it still gives you something to use as a baseline if you are tinkering around with weights and such trying to lower or raise spin). I use it at the range to get additional feedback (smash factor, carry distance, club head speed, ball speed), and out back at home hitting into a net where the only real feedback otherwise is the feel of the shot. 

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

If your indicated handicap is correct - then Lessons 100%.  Pick a pro to stick with.  Ask them questions before you begin.  Go for a season long plan of improvement.   Several years ago, when I made my biggest improvements, I told my club pro I'd do what it takes.  He tested me by limiting me to the range until I could accomplish some specific drills/goals; and then he only let me tee off with a 6 iron or less until I could accomplish certain tasks.  I felt like I was wasting time - but it turned out to be worth it.  Use your pro's launch monitor if/when he/she wants to look at how much spin, launch angle, whatever needs fixing. Don't try to tweak those yourself - just yet.  Someday.  But get a good game plan first - workable swing, course management, basic skills.   And if you don't want to go that route, and really have money in your, or someone's pocket you want to burn do a hard look at your stats - what's your strokes gained (or lost) on the greens versus the tee.  I'm betting you think about the ball you slice out of bounds, but it's the missed 3, 4 or 5 footers that keep you from making bogey or par.  In reality, its probably chipping it close...

Maybe... take that money and get Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" - or any of his follow ups.  I've collected them all on audio over the years and routinely listen to them again.  

Best of luck.  We all start where you are.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Great topic because I want both as well!! I'm trying to talk myself into having an outdoor putting green installed in my yard when I get some landscaping project done.  At the same time I've almost pulled the trigger on Mevo + a couple of times but just can't make myself pull the trigger for two reasons: 1) I don't have a place to set up a simulator at home and 2) to really get better and use it for practice I need that club path and face-to-path data only available on the big money monitors.

So with all that said, I'll go the dull answer and say lessons.  Although a putting green outside when you're running the grill seems mighty tempting from an entertainment stand point and use with my kiddos...

in the bag-

image.png.7c8b50bc8f7410485637c19510d78fe8.png 

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero (set to 10) w/ Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted S

Fairway: Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (set to 16) w/ Hzrdus Smoke S

Hybrid(s): Apex 3 (20) and 4 (23) hybrids

Irons Combo: '18 Apex MB (8-PW); '16 Apex Pro (6,7); Apex CF16 (5i) w/ DG XP 95s

Wedges: MD3 50 and 54 wedges with PM Grind 58 wedge

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab

Putting mats are good for working on your stroke.  Put a line on your ball and try to hit it straight.  They don't help you with speed or the ability to read a green.  I have yet to find a putting mat that plays at the same speed as a real green.  I have a birdie ball put up mat and that is better at simulating a real green because it has that wedge that slows the putt.  Plus, how often do you get a flat putt?

I have 3 launch monitors: a PRGR, a SC200 and a Skytrak.  The Skytrak was heinously expensive, relatively speaking, but it's awesome.  The other two are ok, especially if you are hitting on a range.  But if you are hitting into a net, you won't get feedback on how far offline you are hitting.  I have a net and mat set up in my garage.  With the Skytrak, I can pop out to the garage for an hour and work on my swing.  It would take me that long just to drive back and forth to the nearest driving range. 

Lessons are great, but a couple hundred dollars isn't going to get a lot of instruction.  For the cost of the Skytrak, you could get some meaningful instruction but you still need to put in the time outside the lesson to make anything learned stick. 

Spending the money on more golf would be fun and would make a great birthday present, especially if you play at a bucket-list course.  My 60th b-day is in a couple of weeks and that's what I'm going to do.  🙂 

Anyway, my vote went to the launch monitor. 

11 minutes ago, Les L said:

Let's face it.

How many times are you going to use a PLM. Once you have all of the statistics for each club do you think you're ever going to use it again?

likely every time i go to the range to be honest. Especially the MLM since I can look at swing and see where things are faulty

My Reviews:

Great dilemma to have

ihave a mat   Birdie ball 18 feet to stroke putts of 3–15 feet  stimp 10-11  also bought a ex putt last November  I love this thing  it tells me face angle and ball speed  you can change  stimp from slow to fast.  The ball returns to you easily and you can review snd track how your distance snd face angle progress   I’ll see how this translates this season   So far our greens run 8  but on opening day ran 10-11   Speed control  feedback is good on this  it’s not boring line the mat  we bought the PRGR   Goid for swing speed snd ball speed  it helped me gap my new irons  there the same lofts as of iron so it helped  I don’t think a launch monitor on the range would help me  I like to see the ball fly and I know a bad shot from experience  the LM would tie me up in knots   
 BTW  I’ll jump on the ExPlanar at the pro’s shop to reinforce my swing plane  it works well for me 

Gaming Honu putter  latest tool in bag 3D balanced  Louisville slugger

6CEB22D5-95F2-4303-87EE-ACC85764FAEB.jpeg

You need to look at your game and see where you are deficient.  You want to work on areas that you are dropping strokes.  Are you three putting alot?  Are you missing a lot of 3-4 foot putts?  Then address the specific issue with a specific training aid not get a training aid and try and shape that to your game.  Launch monitors can tell you lots of stuff, but do you know what to do with that data?

I recommend after each round you play for the next three or four rounds, seeing where you are throwing away most of your strokes.  3 putts? Duffs? penalties (from driver or irons)? chipping not nearly close enough to have a reasonable one putt?  I am big fan of cutting down these listed areas as they are just strokes that are very hard to get back.  You can never get back a missed putt.  However, you can hit a drive way offline and still hit it on the green with your next shot, like the bad drive never happened.  This is all predicated on the idea you want to lower your score, not just have fun hitting solid strikes of the golf ball.  

Big fan of bob rotella as well.  Course management mistakes are just wasted shots as well that are the most preventable, as it is just thinking.

Summary: find your very specific problems and get training aids that address that.

Cheers  

Just now, korsmot said:

You need to look at your game and see where you are deficient.  You want to work on areas that you are dropping strokes.  Are you three putting alot?  Are you missing a lot of 3-4 foot putts?  Then address the specific issue with a specific training aid not get a training aid and try and shape that to your game.  Launch monitors can tell you lots of stuff, but do you know what to do with that data?

I recommend after each round you play for the next three or four rounds, seeing where you are throwing away most of your strokes.  3 putts? Duffs? penalties (from driver or irons)? chipping not nearly close enough to have a reasonable one putt?  I am big fan of cutting down these listed areas as they are just strokes that are very hard to get back.  You can never get back a missed putt.  However, you can hit a drive way offline and still hit it on the green with your next shot, like the bad drive never happened.  This is all predicated on the idea you want to lower your score, not just have fun hitting solid strikes of the golf ball.  

Big fan of bob rotella as well.  Course management mistakes are just wasted shots as well that are the most preventable, as it is just thinking.

Summary: find your very specific problems and get training aids that address that.

Cheers  

Easy answer has been driving and approach game. Putting could be better put not being in good places off the tee makes my putting for naught.

My Reviews:

Then I would say lessons, if just pure ball striking is the problem.  Driving and approach game is tee to "green" = ball striking.  (not counting pitching and chipping).  Some people think they have putting problems but they can't hit irons to a reasonable distance and leave themselves in 3 putt territory all the time or they can't chip it to 10-12 feet to give a reasonable chance for up and down.

A great training aid for ball striking is a phone holder to video yourself on the range $20.  Real vs Feel is shocking some times.  Going along with that is a good mirror in the garage to work on your positions that you can see from your lessons.  $60 at lowes.  I would not recommend launch monitor at 30 hcp.  If you are just trying to stay on the course, that will not be helpful.  

Agree with the above.  Pick an instructor you like and have a conversation about where you want to go (game-wise) and how to get there.  Do you want to get to single digit hcp?  or do you just want to be tweaked a little?   Old guys don't want to be broken down and start from scratch with their swing.  Will take too long.  Young guys (less than 50) should consider it and remove all the bad habits from previous times.  That might take 10-15 lessons over 6-12 months.  if you want get a lot better.    but that 10 lessons will do a lot more for you (if you do the practice with it) than a $500 anything.

Cheers

Tigger

On 5/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, rbsiedsc said:

I did a review on the Rapsodo MLM and really enjoyed it. You can check it out for some more details, but I believe it can really help you hone in your gapping and determine your distance as well as see videos of yourself. One thing I'll mention is that you can't see every video of yourself if you have the free version. It'll only show your most recent shots. You will need to buy the pro version, which I think is $100 a year and opens up tons of video storage, slow motion replay (which was really cool), and an apex point of each shot (which was not very accurate, I hope they have fixed that since my pro version expired in January). I still use Rapsodo at the range and at home in the net, but mainly for yardage and launch angle when hitting into the net.

I am also a real believer in lessons. I think @twyatt700 nailed it at least for my thought process in that I go down random youtube video trails/online articles in trying to fix my swing from what I see on Rapsodo. I think lessons are a gamechanger and the Rapsodo can help you maintain those lessons you learned. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

On 5/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, Les L said:

No offense.

If you are a 30 handicap you would probably do better with lessons from a quality pro rather than a launch monitor.

You can still hit groups of 20-30 balls, remove your worst 4-5 and better learn your carry distances for each club which is another big weakness for high handicap golfers. You can also practice hitting specific distances - 60, 80, 100. Which will lower your handicap as you become more skilled. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

24 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

You can still hit groups of 20-30 balls, remove your worst 4-5 and better learn your carry distances for each club which is another big weakness for high handicap golfers. You can also practice hitting specific distances - 60, 80, 100. Which will lower your handicap as you become more skilled. 

Good points. Was actually a side of this I didn’t fully consider. 

I am also a self teacher so seeing data would really help me understand what to work on. 

My Reviews:

• 4 weeks later...