TESTERS WANTED! ×

TP5 dilemma TP5 or TP5X

RSS

I found a TP5X and played it until I lost it the other day. I liked it and went to the store where they have a special to buy 3 get on free. They know me at the store and said I would be better with the standard TP5 as my swing speed being under 95 MPH could get more from the softer ball. I need to make a choice and wont have a chance to buy a sleeve of each as the sale is over today. I could use all the distance I can get so need to make the right choice. Thanks for your input.

Beatles golf.jpeg

The TP5 is a good ball, I've hit some of my better drives with it. It feels great of the club face and has great spin around the green. I've just started playing the X today and really haven't seen much difference, it just flies a bit lower and spins a little less. If you're comfortable with the X and how it performs with your game, I'd stick with it. You know it and what you can get out of it, besides golf balls are a personal preference. 

Also you can go to golfdiscount.com and they have close out deals on 2019 model TP5 and TP5X practice balls.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

That they would think you’d be better off the the non x model simple based on your swing speed shows that their knowledge of golf equipment is limited.

They may mean well but I’d smile, nod and ignore going forward. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Agree with @revkev.  X vs non-X has nothing to do with swing speed.  The difference is in firmness and spin.  Your big box store guy needs a better education on balls.  You made the right decision to go with TP5x.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

For most of us it is hard to find a difference in any ball.  How much difference would any ball make in your handicap?  Whatever that intangible is, go with it.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

My understanding is the X tend to fly higher. More than anything, I think you play what feels good to you.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

3 hours ago, 550025KV said:

Agree with @revkev.  X vs non-X has nothing to do with swing speed.  The difference is in firmness and spin.  Your big box store guy needs a better education on balls.  You made the right decision to go with TP5x.  

You are correct that TP5 is softer and spins more, but it's also lower compression and suited to a slower swing speed.  The TP5X will be longer for a faster swing speeds, but not for at 95 SS, which won't compress the TP5X.

OP would likely be a better fit and see better performance with the TP5.  But always start with the ball you like in short game and work your way back to the tee.  If you like the firmer feel of the TP5x, go with it.

8* SIM2 Custom / PX RDX Smoke Black 6.0 46.5"

15* SIM Ti / Velocore 7s

19* SIM Max Hy / GOST 39.5"

4,5 Srixon ZX5  6-P Srixon ZX7  ProjectX LZ 120 6.0

50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, Stability Tour shaft and SuperStroke

JumboMax Ultralight Small on Driver, Golf Pride Tour Velvet (irons and MCC (woods) Mid on all others.

TP5X Pix  and -ProV1

I play/practice in simulators during the chilly Ontario winter and watch my numbers closely (or the COVID ridden summer, we're the only territory, province, state in the world not allowed to play golf, but I digress)...

I have a very steep swing, and rather than change it, I compensate accordingly. The goal for me is spin reduction, and I've chosen club, shafts, balls, etc. to beat spin. I use the TP5X accordingly. 

My swing speed in only marginally more than the OP, but the 'X' takes about 200-300rpm of spin off vs. the regular TP5. I would say that you feel the compression (or lack thereof) on off centre hits, but if you connect with the sweet spot more often than not the TP5X will work at a slightly below 100mph swing speed.

It works for me around the greens, and the small tradeoff in spin is worth it to me to maximize my shots, especially off the tee.

Thanks.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

• 4 weeks later...

The 2021 models are SOOOOO close together in testing, it may not matter to you.  distances are identicle, so spin rates and launch angles mean nothing out on the course. if the 7 iron goes 160 with ball x and 160 with ball y....who cares.....pick one and use it...dont overthink this one....both balls are so similar to each other its scary...

Golf is cool