Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Is this scotty Cameron California Monterey real?

No idea, but is it just the angle or does the dot on top not line up with the center line?

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

No idea, but is it just the angle or does the dot on top not line up with the center line?

Not a top sight dot, a damage dot. 🤣

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had never seen one with such a sloppy job on the paint fill.  Unless this was a DIY refinishing job for some reason.

All the lines between the steps are not smooth, unlike the ones I had owned.

If this is not a refinished head, I'd say it's highly questionable for authenticity .  With all the sign of wear except for the milled face, it's likely a refinished head if it's not a counterfeit.  Although unlikely, could be a reject from the shop.

4 hours ago, release said:

Had never seen one with such a sloppy job on the paint fill.  Unless this was a DIY refinishing job for some reason.

All the lines between the steps are not smooth, unlike the ones I had owned.

If this is not a refinished head, I'd say it's highly questionable for authenticity .  With all the sign of wear except for the milled face, it's likely a refinished head if it's not a counterfeit.  Although unlikely, could be a reject from the shop.

it was used idk how long for ik the paint looks bad does everything else match and is it a fake? thank yall for the help 

It was definitely used and abused.  The cherry bombs falling out is a fairly common occurrence.  Looks right to me,  other than the cherry bombs what makes you think it is fake?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It was definitely used and abused.  The cherry bombs falling out is a fairly common occurrence.  Looks right to me,  other than the cherry bombs what makes you think it is fake?

i was just wanting to make sure it was real you know. Im new to getting older scotty and I didn't  know the cherry bombs falling out were common. The weights are just a hair high that's all but its not the same 10gram weight, as the original.

6 minutes ago, mountainman said:

i was just wanting to make sure it was real you know. Im new to getting older scotty and I didn't  know the cherry bombs falling out were common. The weights are just a hair high that's all but its not the same 10gram weight, as the original.

There are usually some tell tale signs and many of the fakes are really good copies. unless you were comparing fonts and letter placement side by side you would never know.  Based on the condition you wouldn’t get top dollar if you tried to sell.  But the only way to be sure would be to send it in and it probably isn’t worth dining that. Enjoy the putter, Cameron’s don’t putt any better than another brand; even if it is fake.  

9 hours ago, mountainman said:

it was used idk how long for ik the paint looks bad does everything else match and is it a fake? thank yall for the help 

As I mentioned, the lines on the steps of the bumpers did not look right.  Seemed a refinished job of some sort.  This is not caused by age nor usage.  

Are you trying to authenticate the putter for value or , just curious ?   If a putter works for you, it'll be priceless regardless Who made it and the value of it.  If you're flipping it, then , no one could tell you 100% from a photo.  A lot of times is the close up inspection and the feel of it in the hands.  Most the counterfeits are lighter in weight for some reason.

36 minutes ago, release said:

As I mentioned, the lines on the steps of the bumpers did not look right.  Seemed a refinished job of some sort.  This is not caused by age nor usage.  

Are you trying to authenticate the putter for value or , just curious ?   If a putter works for you, it'll be priceless regardless Who made it and the value of it.  If you're flipping it, then , no one could tell you 100% from a photo.  A lot of times is the close up inspection and the feel of it in the hands.  Most the counterfeits are lighter in weight for some reason.

just wondering if its a fake tbh. the sound off the ball sounds right to me. I got it from the pga store used and the people there said it was real but as I looked I wasn't sure that's why I'm here asking yall.

8 hours ago, mountainman said:

just wondering if its a fake tbh. the sound off the ball sounds right to me. I got it from the pga store used and the people there said it was real but as I looked I wasn't sure that's why I'm here asking yall.

You will not get a definitive answer unless you send it in.  You have two people responding.  I think it is probably real and the other believes it is fake.   Your initial point about you belief that it was fake was that the cherry dots fell out; That happens with these putters.  Then you mentioned that the weights don’t sit flush.  You have aftermarket weights or the weights are real and the putter is a fake, or the weights just aren’t seated correctly.   The PGA superstore indicated it was real and part of their responsibility is ensuring the clubs they take in are real.  

I’m with @cnosil it looks real but only way to tell would be to send it in for authentication. Keep in mind if you do and it’s fake you aren’t getting the putter back and you won’t be reimbursed either.

Nothing stands out to me as being off from the images on the scotty website.

Another option would be join the cameron collector forum (aka tcc) and ask there

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, mountainman said:

I can tell you this, some of the counterfeits are so good, even the OEM will have issue identifying it 100% if not using the hidden id marks on some of the high end models.

Most of the components are manufactured overseas, in multiple locations, out of contractors and their sub.  There is no way of stopping a few trying to profit from their encounter with their OEM contract.  

In fashion industry, the OEM limit the fabric to the contractor to minimize the "leftover".  In golf industry, it's easy to source out the material of manufacturing and run their production line overtime.  Who would not be tempted selling something for thousands times of profits ?  Without all the costs in R&D and Marketing ?

• 3 weeks later...

Mountainman

I think it is a fake for sure. Lots of clues here on this one.  I used to own one and what alerted me right away was the deep milling on the face and the too boxy look from the top view.

BUT

If you ever want to see if something is fake, go to the scotty website and look through the archives where all scotty's releases are listed, described, and pictured by year of issue. This will educate you as to what to look for.

In the case of your putter the following things stand out - and are easy to see by comparing to the archive pictures.

1. California putters with the honey finish were produced in 2009 and 2010.

2.  No cherry bombs on the back of this putter model. Archives not picture it but I think it only says titleist.

3. Face milling is way to deep.

4. The weights are also wrong, scotty did not use cherry bomb style weights with this model and did not until later years. They were flat metal disks.

5. The design on the bottom of the putter is entirely wrong. Again, compare to archive.

6. Finally, looking down from the top, the putter has no elegance, seems too long, the shoulders are poorly squared off etc., looking way too machine like. All scotty products are elegant and pleasing to the eye - the minute I saw this one I could tell something was off.

Yeah - so I think its fake - The scotty archives are extremely helpful in this regard. Also, you could indeed send it in to scotty shop, they will also document the authenticity for you.

Second finally - MGS once did a test between fake and real scotty's and in their testing the fake was better under the test conditions. If memory serves, they took the putters apart and the fake head was lighter than the original, which of course changes the swing weight.

In my work in golf retail passing off a fake scotty for a refund is not common, but does occur from time to time. I've seen 4 come into my shop during the 7 years working.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mountain man

My apologies - 

My reaction to your putter was based partly on the color as it comes through in your pics. It looks like the honey finish of the earlier models from 2010 and 2011 and so all the things I mentioned above are off.

So correcting myself - 

Looking at the archive pics of 2012 and 2013, your putter looks like those except I still think the top view is off, and the sole of the putter is missing its Moon-like background circle as part of the design.

Maybe someone tried to refinish a sliver putter with the honey finish - which I think would be really hard to do properly.

Yeah - and looking close I see the moon design feature which does wear over time and use. I agree now that this putter is likely real. Another authentication point is whether the shaft band is intact which are difficult to replicate.

Also, I'm not sure if by these years scotty was engraving a serial number on the shaft as is currently done. So that may be another thing to look for.