Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cutting down a putter/Swing weight

Yesterday was my birthday, for my birthday I get a new putter....

I tried a TON of putters, and the putter I best rolled the ball with was the TaylorMade Corza Center Shaft putter.

I wanted to order one ASAP, but they only come in 33" unless you special order, and then it's only 32" - pretty sure I might be able to use a 30-31" putter the best... But I'm curious if me cutting down a 33" putter to 31" is going to totally mess with the swing weight and feel of the putter?

Should I just stick with a 33" and deal with it being a bit long? Should I special order a 32"? or should I take whichever one and cut it down to 31" - and if I do, should I be adding weight back into the grip or somewhere to offset the swing weight?

Thanks!

#1: Happy Birthday!

#2: Lots of questions. If you are going to cut a putter down and want to keep the same swingweight, you would add weight to the head, not the grip. If this were my putter, since I don't mind the look of lead tape, I would cut down the 33" to whatever length you think will be best (cut slowly, you can always cut more off later) and see how you like the feel. If it's too light, add some lead tape.

Building on this question: does TM use different heads for different lengths? I'm not sure they do, and if they don't you would not get any advantage out of ordering a custom 31" putter as opposed to just buying a 33" and cutting it down.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Pretty sure that you are gonna end up using lead. No heavy heads from TM, as far as I know... I would suggest getting a 33" and cutting it to 32", weighting it correctly, and then seeing how it goes... then wash, rinse repeat until it is right....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The other option which looks better than tape IMO is to buy a putter neck adapter. I like a very heavy putter, so I put this on mine (44g):

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/1145/0/0/0/0/0

The other hireko has is (20g)

http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/orderportal/catalog_presentation/by_group/0/1143/0/0/0/0/0

There are probably lots of others out there as well. If you like the white look, you can probably find a white adapter or paint it yourself.

Bought it, Picked up a lighter grip, the shop cut and re-gripped it for me... Now headed to the course (will let it dry until the turn... Then switch it into the bag) excited to see how this goes

Wdgolf thanks for the suggestion, gonna check that out

ok, this is now the first time I totally understand swing weight - WOW does cutting inches off make a HUGE difference in the feel. might need to buy even more lead tape!!!!

Yep, going from 35" to 33" or less is pretty dramatic. I'm not sure that you are going to be able to hide the amount of lead necessary to achieve similar swingweight as the putter had at 35". #speaksfromexperience

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Yep, going from 35" to 33" or less is pretty dramatic. I'm not sure that you are going to be able to hide the amount of lead necessary to achieve similar swingweight as the putter had at 35". #speaksfromexperience

I don't think that Nic's putters got cut shorter on purpose though.

Unless you consider knees and trees cutting instruments. :D

It may be time for a custom manufactured putter Tim...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I don't think that Nic's putters got cut shorter on purpose though.

Unless you consider knees and trees cutting instruments. :D

I don't "cut them down" any more...

I drown them.

ahhhhh custom putter.... my wife is pretty understanding of the whole golf obsession, but she definitely has her limits :-(

though, if I start working on her now, maybe I can talk her into it by this time next year?

Archived