TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best memories from summers as a kid?

PMookie

As we FINALLY approach summertime here in the Northern Hemisphere, I’m curious as to what some of your fondest memories are of summertimes from your youth? As kids, we got through that last day of school and it was nothing but fun for a couple months each summer! 
What are your favorite times/stories? Trips? Sports memories? Anything! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• PMookie changed the title to Best memories from summers as a kid?

My first one was a two week trip we took. Dad, Mom, one of my sisters, and myself traveled from Michigan through the “West” via car. This had to have been around 1979... We went to the Badlands, Grand Tetons, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon, even went to the famous Wall Drug, Springfield, Hannibal, Deadwood, etc. There were some LONG days in the car with nothing other than books and stuff to color with, but it is still one of my fondest memories from childhood. I have no idea how my Dad planned it! Motels, etc without Internet! Crazy. 

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

My first one was a two week trip we took. Dad, Mom, one of my sisters, and myself traveled from Michigan through the “West” via car. This had to have been around 1979... We went to the Badlands, Grand Tetons, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon, even went to the famous Wall Drug, Springfield, Hannibal, Deadwood, etc. There were some LONG days in the car with nothing other than books and stuff to color with, but it is still one of my fondest memories from childhood. I have no idea how my Dad planned it! Motels, etc without Internet! Crazy. 

Nice trip!!  I think that kind of vacation has been popular for a long time; get out, see the country and how big it is!

Your dad probably "planned" it like we did in the 1950's and I did in the 1970's... stop when you find a motel with a sign that says: "Vacancy".  I also did it in 1978 in Germany, but the sign said: "Zimmer Frei."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One of my favorite things to do during the summer when I was a kid was to go fishing in the ponds at the sand and gravel pits near the Willamette River in Corvallis OR.  I had to ride my bike across town.  Probably a dumb thing to do, and I certainly wouldn't do it today at that age!!

The ponds had crappie, and they were fun to catch on a light fly rod.  I only had a fly rod because when I was very little, my uncle got me one.  I was too little to cast, but it was long and he hooked it up with a bobber with a worm on the end.  I just held it.  When I was old enough to cast, I practiced on the school grounds.  

Well, one day at the ponds after catching a bunch of crappie (I released them since I had no way to keep them), I caught a huge (probably not huge, but it seemed like it at the time) bass.  I had never seen a bass in the pond before.  I was so excited, I pedaled home with it in 90º heat.  When I got home, I showed mom.  She said: "What am I supposed to do with that?"  It was stiff as a board.  I showed dad when he got home from work, then we buried it in the garden!!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As kids we were outside all day everyday.   Pool, playing in the neighborhood, riding bikes,  playing sports, fishing, etc.  when it got dark we came in or played night games like spotlight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I always enjoyed camping as a kid. We generally went once a year, and really liked a place on the Saco river in Conway, NH. My dad and I would wake up at 6 and we camping on the river bank so we would just hop into the river and start the day with a swim. Then as I got older my Dad and I would go play golf and there was a local bakery where we would get fresh homemade doughnuts on our way to the course.

I also got lucky between my junior and senior year of high school I was able to go to a golf camp and basically play golf, hit range balls, and practice every day. It was a great summer and is the only reason I am decent at golf now. I only wished I had done this every summer, but at the time I had delusions of playing football which at 5'6" and being neither fast or big was never really gonna work out well. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

56 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As kids we were outside all day everyday

Exactly!  

It was almost like Sandlot around my neighborhood.  I had a big enough side yard that we'd play baseball everyday.  We'd use a tennis ball instead to be a bit more careful because the home run was hitting the house across the street lol, but we'd move from baseball to basketball and football all the time.  

Also, my sister and I were very close to my grandparents, so our summer vacation would always be with them.  We mostly did nearby spots - Cedar Point, Chicago, St. Louis -but those were some of the best moments and some I'll cherish for the rest of my life.  

The main reason I got into golf was because I wanted to be like my grandpa and he was a Lefty like me.  It was great to be able to play golf with he and my grandma throughout the years.  We'd have sleepovers at their house often as well and would enjoy their in ground pool each summer.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

One of my favorite things to do during the summer when I was a kid was to go fishing in the ponds at the sand and gravel pits near the Willamette River in Corvallis OR.  I had to ride my bike across town.  Probably a dumb thing to do, and I certainly wouldn't do it today at that age!!

The ponds had crappie, and they were fun to catch on a light fly rod.  I only had a fly rod because when I was very little, my uncle got me one.  I was too little to cast, but it was long and he hooked it up with a bobber with a worm on the end.  I just held it.  When I was old enough to cast, I practiced on the school grounds.  

Well, one day at the ponds after catching a bunch of crappie (I released them since I had no way to keep them), I caught a huge (probably not huge, but it seemed like it at the time) bass.  I had never seen a bass in the pond before.  I was so excited, I pedaled home with it in 90º heat.  When I got home, I showed mom.  She said: "What am I supposed to do with that?"  It was stiff as a board.  I showed dad when he got home from work, then we buried it in the garden!!  😂

Buried it! HA!!!!! Awesome!

My Dad bought us all cane poles. We’d sit for hours watching the bobber! Good times!!!!

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

As kids we were outside all day everyday.   Pool, playing in the neighborhood, riding bikes,  playing sports, fishing, etc.  when it got dark we came in or played night games like spotlight.  

Ohhh! Spotlight!!! Yep, I remember playing that! Being outside all day led to some GREAT adventures.

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

I always enjoyed camping as a kid. We generally went once a year, and really liked a place on the Saco river in Conway, NH. My dad and I would wake up at 6 and we camping on the river bank so we would just hop into the river and start the day with a swim. Then as I got older my Dad and I would go play golf and there was a local bakery where we would get fresh homemade doughnuts on our way to the course.

I also got lucky between my junior and senior year of high school I was able to go to a golf camp and basically play golf, hit range balls, and practice every day. It was a great summer and is the only reason I am decent at golf now. I only wished I had done this every summer, but at the time I had delusions of playing football which at 5'6" and being neither fast or big was never really gonna work out well. 

Great memories! Having “Dad” as part of them makes them that much more special! So cool.

36 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Exactly!  

It was almost like Sandlot around my neighborhood.  I had a big enough side yard that we'd play baseball everyday.  We'd use a tennis ball instead to be a bit more careful because the home run was hitting the house across the street lol, but we'd move from baseball to basketball and football all the time.  

Also, my sister and I were very close to my grandparents, so our summer vacation would always be with them.  We mostly did nearby spots - Cedar Point, Chicago, St. Louis -but those were some of the best moments and some I'll cherish for the rest of my life.  

The main reason I got into golf was because I wanted to be like my grandpa and he was a Lefty like me.  It was great to be able to play golf with he and my grandma throughout the years.  We'd have sleepovers at their house often as well and would enjoy their in ground pool each summer.

CEDAR POINT!!!! Our summer swim team went there each year. I remember when the “Corkscrew” first opened, and “Gemini”!!!! I loved that place. I could ride coasters all day! Loud bus trip all the way there, silent on the way back due to sleeping kids!

“Tennisball” was a favorite for us too. My Dad would actually pitch me tennis balls in our side “lot” before every little league game... The neighbors didn’t appreciate me peppering their houses, I’m sure!!!

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

CEDAR POINT!!!! Our summer swim team went there each year. I remember when the “Corkscrew” first opened, and “Gemini”!!!! I loved that place. I could ride coasters all day! Loud bus trip all the way there, silent on the way back due to sleeping kids!

“Tennisball” was a favorite for us too. My Dad would actually pitch me tennis balls in our side “lot” before every little league game... The neighbors didn’t appreciate me peppering their houses, I’m sure!!!

About 30 years ago I went to Cedar Point; rode that big friggin' coaster!!  i am not a coaster fan; something about having to be in control.  Racing cars, yes; riding coasters, no.  I remember someone asking what I thought about the laser light show when the coaster went through the tunnel.  I said: "What tunnel?" 😬  The picture that was taken that you could buy showed me with my eyes closed.

21 hours ago, PMookie said:

Absolutely  -and they've added so many other great ones there.  I've not been for about 12 years now, but I hope to take my kids when they are a bit older.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

We had a cottage on a lake, it was really more of a puddle, that we went to the day after school ended and stayed till we had to be back in class. I remember being outside in only a bathing suit everyday regardless of the weather. We would swim when it was in the 50's*, heck now I don't even like to be outside if it's less than 60*.  We lived to get the neighborhood kids together every night to play kick the can. We had an annual swim all the way across the lake where all the parents would follow us in row boats and canoes in the event we got to tired to make it across. Going back as an adult it was only about two lengths of a pool to get across, but as a kid it seemed forever to get to the other side! There was always a fair with activities like watermelon seed spitting, obstacle courses, potato sack race, etc. Ahhhhh, the golden days, and yes, I am old!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

32 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

We had a cottage on a lake, it was really more of a puddle, that we went to the day after school ended and stayed till we had to be back in class. I remember being outside in only a bathing suit everyday regardless of the weather. We would swim when it was in the 50's*, heck now I don't even like to be outside if it's less than 60*.  We lived to get the neighborhood kids together every night to play kick the can. We had an annual swim all the way across the lake where all the parents would follow us in row boats and canoes in the event we got to tired to make it across. Going back as an adult it was only about two lengths of a pool to get across, but as a kid it seemed forever to get to the other side! There was always a fair with activities like watermelon seed spitting, obstacle courses, potato sack race, etc. Ahhhhh, the golden days, and yes, I am old!

This sounds MARVELOUS!!! Simpler times, yet SO fun!!!