TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting Practice - what would you do with 20 min?

I often find myself with not enough time for a full range session but about 20 minutes that I could practice putting after work. 

What are your go to drills and putting practice routine that would be the most beneficial with 20 min of practice?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

11 minutes ago, TBS said:

I often find myself with not enough time for a full range session but about 20 minutes that I could practice putting after work. 

What are your go to drills and putting practice routine that would be the most beneficial with 20 min of practice?

Sped control is you number 1 thing.  Go to the 50 minute make in this video and practice this drill or some form of ladder drill on longer putts

I would also suggest green reading skills.  I don’t have the link handy but the drill was basically to put a ghost hole about 1/3 of putt distance away from the hole and indicates where you think the putt needs to roll over to go in the hole   Then roll the putt and see how well you are reading putts.

I also do gate drills.  That includes ball gates; to show that you can start the ball online with any length putt, and putter gates; to show that you r putts are being struck in the middle of the face     You can do these drills indoors easily and don’t require anymore than about 5 feet of space   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I always start with a ladder drill from every side of the cup then I move to long distance from all sides of the hole to try to gage the speed, grain and distance control.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Two drills at 10 mins each

3’ circle around the hole. Place balls 5 balls 4’ apart from each other starting at 4’ from the hole. Place each line of balls at 3,6,9,12 o'clock. Goal is to have at least half finish in the circle. Putt each ball from 4’ then move to the 8’ and so on.

Second drill. Place balls at 4 and 5’ from hole at 3,6,9,12 o’clock goal is to make at least 6. Putt all the 4’ then the 5’

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with @cnosil that speed control is the key thing to work on with limited time.  When I played yesterday at an unfamiliar course, the greens were very slow, even slower than I remember them, and much slower than my home course.  I arrived at the course early enough to spend time just to work on getting used to the speed, and I still left a bunch of putts short!!  I actually didn't want to get used to them.  Now I have to go to my course and spend time getting used to fast greens again... as if I needed an excuse.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Like others I’d start with 3 footers to make sure alignment is dialed in.
  • Then I’d go for varying longer distances, e.g. a 20 footer, a 30, a 10, a 25, etc. - mix it up. 
  • I never practice putting with more then one ball, as I want to test my green read, alignment and pace altogether. To me a second, third or fourth ball is pointless from the same spot - in a round you get ONE crack at every putt, so that’s what I practice. YMMV
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Could you also hit chip shots?

I find myself in this situation frequently - I try to do two of these sessions a week - one of them I take three gamer balls a wedge and putter and hit random chips/pitches that I hole out. 

The other I start by hitting straight 3 - 4 footers until I hole 9 in a row - then I go to the middle of the putting green - drop the balls and try to roll them onto the fringe - repeat in several directions. 

Then I take one ball and putt it to each of the flags in some sort of random sequence. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I do distance drills, pace out to target and see how my feels are matched to reality for 10’ over. Then clock drill from 1 to 5 feet

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter