TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-TaylorMade TP5 X

The TP5 X a vey popular ball with our forum readers.  How did it do in ball lab?

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-taylormade-tp5x-review/

an image of 2021 TaylorMade TP5x Golf Balls

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I used to play TM balls exclusively because I get a great discount, but after the Ball Test, and now them changing the TP5X to be softer, and somewhat shorter, I’ll continue to play Titleist. Sucks. Come-on, TM!!!! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Interesting to see the change to a softer version. I preferred the Tp5x last go round alright the tp5 was a good ball too and I could play it easily.

I may have to try a sleeve of these while waiting for my prov1 order to come in

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Definitely a ball I will look at trying out. I have always been a fan of TM golf balls and have had good success with them so this will once again go on the short list!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I want to like the New 2021 TPx5 ball...On my launch monitor it has consistently given me the best ball speed. That said, Every time I try to use it on the course I end up loosing it on the first shot (has happened 3 TIMES!!!). So I switch back to my trusty Bridgestone and play the rest of the round with it...Just cant seem to get that ball in play for some reason....

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

28 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

I want to like the New 2021 TPx5 ball...On my launch monitor it has consistently given me the best ball speed. That said, Every time I try to use it on the course I end up loosing it on the first shot (has happened 3 TIMES!!!). So I switch back to my trusty Bridgestone and play the rest of the round with it...Just cant seem to get that ball in play for some reason....

I have the same issue when I use a TP5. Project A ball no problem, but a TP is gone in no time.

44 minutes ago, 2puttbogey said:

I have the same issue when I use a TP5. Project A ball no problem, but a TP is gone in no time.

Same thing for me last week. Decided to try some TP5x Pix's and literally the very first tee shot went down the right into an area I've been many, many times and was shocked when I couldn't find it. Pretty unusual for me to lose a ball anyways, but to lose it on the first shot? c'mon, man...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Odd to see this ball tested again so soon, but good to know about the big drop in compression. I'm not switching as I need a higher spin ball, but something to consider.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Odd to see this ball tested again so soon, but good to know about the big drop in compression. I'm not switching as I need a higher spin ball, but something to consider.

It’s the 2021 version so it’s not another testing of the same ball. The last one was the 2019 version so even though it was tested in December it’s two different balls

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

To me the 21 TP5x feels firmer off the driver then my irons. No data to support it, but really liking this ball. 

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Seems like they might be worth giving a try.  I've still got some more Snell and Bridgestone balls to finish testing with... so I won't be buying anytime soon, but if I'm thinking about going back to the Pro V1x I'll give these a swing or two first.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 1 month later...

i am very interested to try the new X version. I hated the 2019 version because it was SO incredibly clicky and hard.....

I saw the test and it showed compression at 91, similar to a Prov1......but when I spoke to the TM rep yesterday, he said they tested compression at 95 for the X and 85 for the TP5. That would put the TP5 in Chromesoft territory.  I know how you measure compression is different from tool to tool, but the TM rep did say the feel (which is subjective) is not much different that the 2019 version......that was disappointing.....

I would love MGS to measure the TP5 and TP5x with in their ball lab vs the 2019 versions with all the same tools and see what the result is.....

If the 2021 X was a true 91 compression and had a feel similar to the new prov1, it would be a winner for me.  

who has played the 2019 and 2021 ball? i need comparisons!!!

Golf is cool

On 5/12/2021 at 12:36 PM, The 19th Hole said:

wanna swap a sleeve of three for AVx or left dash or v1x? 

Golf is cool

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

wanna swap a sleeve of three for AVx or left dash or v1x? 

Thanks for the offer, but I already used them up in my home set up. They crack pretty fast on Sim play...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

49 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

Thanks for the offer, but I already used them up in my home set up. They crack pretty fast on Sim play...

the covers cracked????

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

the covers cracked????

yeah its a common thing when repeatedly hitting driver into a net that the ball can crack. These just did it faster than some other ones I have used. 

18 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

yeah its a common thing when repeatedly hitting driver into a net that the ball can crack. These just did it faster than some other ones I have used. 

Well that's interesting! I never had a ball crack. But then again I am just a mere mortal with a high 90's swing speed. 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

8 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Well that's interesting! I never had a ball crack. But then again I am just a mere mortal with a high 90's swing speed. 🤣

Well you must be doing something right with that handicap...Its not all about speed! I have an avg of about 108mph right now and peak at about 112mph when I get lucky...

On 7/2/2021 at 4:19 PM, The 19th Hole said:

I have to be honest, ive bever seen a top level ball crack when hitting into a net...thats amazing.....hopefully when i receive the balls i ordered, i do not encounter this type of performance. 

Golf is cool

42 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I have to be honest, ive bever seen a top level ball crack when hitting into a net...thats amazing.....hopefully when i receive the balls i ordered, i do not encounter this type of performance. 

It is actually a fairly common occurrence. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

why is this? speed? the amount of hits? educate me

Lots of theories but the most common seems to be related to spin and speed it is hitting the net.  Did some google searches and couldn’t find a definitive answer.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Lots of theories but the most common seems to be related to spin and speed it is hitting the net.  Did some google searches and couldn’t find a definitive answer.  

ok. thank you

Golf is cool