Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lighter Weight for G425 Max

RSS

I have a G425 max driver and want to get more distance ( MOI is great). I noticed on TXG, they used a 7 gram weight in the G425 LST and got much greater distance. Any thoughts on what a lighter weight will do in the Max?

Beatles golf.jpeg

8 minutes ago, RSS said:

I have a G425 max driver and want to get more distance ( MOI is great). I noticed on TXG, they used a 7 gram weight in the G425 LST and got much greater distance. Any thoughts on what a lighter weight will do in the Max?

The didn't necessarily get more distance - they just made the swing weight more manageable because they were choosing not to use a high balance point shaft.

A lighter weight will lower the swing weight and change the Center of Gravity (move it forward slightly) and lower the MOI of the head.

Lowering swingweight is not an automatic way to increase speed - it is all about finding the right balance of swing weight, total weight, etc that allows the player to move the club in the most efficient way possible.

Tensei Orange is a CB shaft.  TXG was using the Ventus Blue which is not CB.  All things equal, the CB shaft will lower SW, so the Ventus will need the weight in the head reduced to stay at the same SW.

8* SIM2 Custom / PX RDX Smoke Black 6.0 46.5"

15* SIM Ti / Velocore 7s

19* SIM Max Hy / GOST 39.5"

4,5 Srixon ZX5  6-P Srixon ZX7  ProjectX LZ 120 6.0

50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, Stability Tour shaft and SuperStroke

JumboMax Ultralight Small on Driver, Golf Pride Tour Velvet (irons and MCC (woods) Mid on all others.

TP5X Pix  and -ProV1

20 hours ago, jlukes said:

The didn't necessarily get more distance - they just made the swing weight more manageable because they were choosing not to use a high balance point shaft.

A lighter weight will lower the swing weight and change the Center of Gravity (move it forward slightly) and lower the MOI of the head.

Lowering swingweight is not an automatic way to increase speed - it is all about finding the right balance of swing weight, total weight, etc that allows the player to move the club in the most efficient way possible.

well I doubt very much if lowering the back weight is going to do anything to the centre of gravity or lower the MOI of the head. Not going to happen, okay maybe a tenth of a percentage point.

Edited by WalterS

I have the G400MAX and cut my shaft to 44.5". Ping standard is 45.75". I added lead tape, angled on each side of the rear weight to each corner in a "V" shape. I cut the tape in 1" sections to remove sections until I found the right weight combination, which for me is C-9. I tried changing the weights but the weight didn't feel distributed correctly. By shortening the club, I hit the sweet spot much more often and get greater distance. Pro's use shorter clubs, in most instances, for the same reason. Go to a shop and hit a shorter shaft and see what happens.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

4 minutes ago, WalterS said:

well I doubt very much if lowering the back weight is going to do anything to the centre of gravity or lower the MOI of the head. Not going to happen, okay maybe a tenth of a percentage point.

Would it be noticeable?  Perhaps not to every golfer.  But it would happen and it is something to be aware of.  It would also raise the closure rate of the club, potentially leading to the player closing the face faster. 

2 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

I have the G400MAX and cut my shaft to 44.5". Ping standard is 45.75". I added lead tape, angled on each side of the rear weight to each corner in a "V" shape. I cut the tape in 1" sections to remove sections until I found the right weight combination, which for me is C-9. I tried changing the weights but the weight didn't feel distributed correctly. By shortening the club, I hit the sweet spot much more often and get greater distance. Pro's use shorter clubs, in most instances, for the same reason. Go to a shop and hit a shorter shaft and see what happens.

Actually Cameron Champ who plays a 425LST has his driver at 44.25" (D4 SW). And I think Rickie's driver was at 43.5", unless he changed it again. Yes a shorter driver can help "most" people hit it better and more consistent.

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Would it be noticeable?  Perhaps not to every golfer.  But it would happen and it is something to be aware of.  It would also raise the closure rate of the club, potentially leading to the player closing the face faster. 

Considering the mass of the head, a few extra or less grams of weight in the back won't do much to those parameters. But if you think it will then okay. 

8 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Considering the mass of the head, a few extra or less grams of weight in the back won't do much to those parameters. But if you think it will then okay. 

Sorry for using basic science.  Also someone asked a similar question on Instagram yesterday to one of the top club builders in the world 

He added that it would also make the shaft play slightly stiffer

E960CF11-8687-42BE-BD51-09324E0D632D.png

image.gif.80f00c8901170b32fe5c6ceae8aa3ebc.gif

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

If you're consistently finding the sweet spot then decreasing swing weight is not going to add much distance.  Dropping a few grams isn't going to significantly increase swing speed which is what you're trying to do.  The only way to increase swing speed is training and building muscle.

Now if you don't consistently hit the ball near the center, then changing swing weight up or down may help with that as would decreasing the shaft length.  Shortening the shaft will decrease club head speed, but the better contact will hopefully increase the ball speed resulting in a net distance gain.

Adding some additional data to this discussion I am sharing my experience with a a driver tuning exercise I recently conducted outdoors using my trackman. I was intrigued by a new shaft just released by VA Composites called “Nemesis”. The design concept incorporates counterbalanced characteristics to the shaft. Yes that will reduce overall SW and potentially increase club head speed but there’s another element that can be applied to dial in an optimal fit. The VA fitting notes suggest adding weight to the club head if it offers a removable weight feature. The idea based on physics is that KE= MxV2. If clubhead speed can be held constant with added weight to the head in the proper place there can be an increase in distance. I game a Titleist TS2 driver that offers the  ability to change the weight in the sole plate. I purchased 8g,12g and16g weights the standard is 4g. My data consisted of 10 swings with each weight in two sets of 5 each going from heavy to lighter in the first and lighter to heavy in the second. The VA shaft is the Nemesis 57g R. The results were positive I was able to increase ball speed 2.5 mph and  my launch angle went up to 13 degrees with the 8g weight while I was able to hold my clubhead speed between 88 and 91 mph. With the 12g and 16g weights launch angle went well beyond optimal spin up into the4K range, carry went down along with swing and ball speed. What a I getting at? Optimal fitting is personal and based on the physical limits of the player and the shafts ability to handle dynamic mass. As I added weight I was increasing MOI and the characteristics were predictable more spin higher launch angle swing speed and ball speed going down beyond 8g weight. I know this is a bit of long winded data overload, however don’t rule out the notion of adding weight in the search for increase ball speed. Low swing weight and lighter clubs are not for everyone.

Ollieb

On 5/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, RSS said:

I wasn’t aware that Ping has a 7 gram weight available for the G425 Series drivers.  However, I know that they have weights in several denominations from 15 to 32 grams, all of which I have for my G425 Max driver.  I happen to use a 29 gram weight in mine, because I play the driver at 44.75” long and with that weight installed, I get a D3 swing weight, which is what I prefer in a driver.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!