Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golfspy Matt "Plays His Best" with PING

Matt Saternus

Small update:

I mentioned in the initial review of the wedges that I was concerned about the amount of bounce and the sole width, particularly on the 60*. I want to say that I was dead wrong: these are, all-in-all, the best wedges I've ever had. I played yesterday and had no issue hitting lobs over bunkers, chips, pitches, or anything else. And, as I said before, the biggest reason I love them is the distance control on full and half shots. Half wedges have always been my favorite shots, but now I'm darned near perfect with my distances.

I know the wedges are pricey, but they are definitely worth a look. I'm seriously considering getting a back up set (or two).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Hope you got the "Smith family discount" on that bag Matt. They put you in their most expensive product line. The retail prices on those wedges alone even made me wince and I'm a Ping fan. ;)

I'm slowly putting a Ping bag back together myself after playing most of last year with a bag sporting some of the spoils from our first months on the forum. My Bridgestone blades were the first to go in favor of I15's.

I paired those up with Tour-W wedges although I'm oddly intrigued by the Eye2 XG's. Yeah I know... don't ask me why I'm drawn to them. Aside from the Guyson finish (which I love), they are fugly at address and the sand wedge has way too much offset. I guess it's mostly because I never bagged Eye 2's back in the day. Anyway, I might try to find a gently used set to give them a try. But, in the end, I'll probably stick with the Tour-W's.

BTW, Matt S. playing with an off the rack major OEM putter? Now I know the apocalypse is upon us...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived