Golfspy Matt "Plays His Best" with PING

Let the scoring begin!

May I ask how much for this set? Cost for the KBS upgrade?

I know a lot of people around that were also looking for a new set from PING, but where put down due to the higher price.

Those grips look familiar... I wonder who manufactures them for PING.

An 8 piece set is, I believe, $1350, but I don't think there is an upcharge for any shaft with the Ansers.

I believe PING's grips are made by Golf Pride, but I could be wrong.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Got my first nine in with these irons yesterday (renegade Thanksgiving golf) and they are firmly in the bag. Hard to tell with the wind and cold, but I suspect I may have gained half a club due to slightly stronger ballflight. These are plenty forgiving and the turf interaction feels great to me - you can go down and get a nice divot, but it doesn't stick in and dig.

My father-in-law was also enamored with the clubs (he played out of my bag) and might be getting a set of his own.

• 1 month later...

Part 4: PING

Anser Wedges

My PING bag continues to take shape with the recent arrival of the Anser wedges. I went with a 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60 set up, all with specs to match my Anser irons (KBS Tour shafts and full cord grips).

The wedges arrived just in time for my Christmas trip to Dallas where I was able to sneak 2 more rounds into 2011. While two rounds didn't provide a ton of testing, here's what I know so far:

I love the feel. It's a nice, soft, muted feel with enough feedback to know where the ball hit the face. They're the perfect companion to the Anser irons in this regard.

A little big of forgiveness in a wedge is a very nice thing. If you look at my old wedges, you'll see that I have a slight tendency to favor the toe side. The Anser wedge has a tungsten weight in the sole that keeps the sweet spot centered and seems to provide a little extra forgiveness on the toe side. I hit a few shots that I know were a little toe-y, but they still covered the distance.

These are probably the best wedges I've ever used for anything from a half to a full swing. The trajectory is superb and there's plenty of spin to stop a ball, even on the "maintenance-free" (read "hard as h***") greens that we played. The soles are on the thick side with plenty of bounce (10 to 12 degrees), so I felt like I was able to go at the ball without fear of digging. I also loved the turf interaction on a good hard swing.

The one area where these wedges come up a bit short is in versatility. The thick sole and high bounce is great for full swings, but on little chips, off tight lies, or when you want to open up the face, it just gets in the way (the last picture shows a comparison between the 60* Anser and my 60* Scratch 8620). PING only offers one sole configuration per loft, so you are not able to choose a lower bounce or a thin sole model.

I can say with confidence that the 50 and 55 are in the bag to stay: they are probably my favorite gap and sand wedges ever. The 60 will require more testing to see if it can offer the versatility that I need, but I won't be able to determine that until the snow melts.

One other note: 2 more rounds with the Anser irons only confirms that shelving the MX-23's was the right choice. I absolutely love everything about them, and they nearly provided me with my first ace! Hopefully I will find that rare bird this season.

Anser Wedges (6).JPG

Anser Wedges (7).JPG

Anser Wedges (8).JPG

Anser Wedges (9).JPG

Anser Wedges (10).JPG

Anser Wedges (12).JPG

Anser Wedges (14).JPG

• 2 months later...

Part 5:

PING G20 Woods and Hybrid

Well, loyal readers, we have finally reached the conclusion. I recently received the final pieces of my PING bag: a G20 driver, G20 4W, and G20 20* hybrid. As you may recall from my fitting, all are set up with stock stiff shafts and full cord PING grips.

Since we are still coming out of winter here in Chicago, I haven't had a chance to get any of these outside, but I can tell you a little bit about what I've seen on the launch monitor.

The surprise favorite in this group is actually the G20 hybrid. I know that plenty of people hate the way it looks, but damned if it doesn't do what it's supposed to. It's not the longest hybrid out there, but it goes the same distance just about every time you swing it. To me, that's a much bigger deal. It's also not nearly as hook-prone as some would think. I have been fighting a hook lately, but the G20 tends to hold its line quite well compared to other hybrids.

The 4W and G20 driver have performed well on the monitor, though the real test will be getting them on grass. I've never hit a fairway wood consistently well, and I'm eager to see if the added loft will help this problem. The driver looks and feels great, and I will be very interested to see if the boost in loft (12* from 9.5*) adds to my carry distances the way I'm hoping it will.

Finally, I want to thank the people at PING and Zigfield Troy for the fitting, the clubs, and the education. I can't wait to get this whole set together on grass and Play My Best.

Ping Woods (1).JPG

Ping Woods (2).JPG

Ping Woods (4).JPG

Ping Woods (5).JPG

Ping Woods (6).JPG

Ping Woods (7).JPG

Ping Woods (8).JPG

Ping Woods (9).JPG

Ping Woods (10).JPG

Ping Woods (12).JPG

Ping Woods (13).JPG

Ping Woods (14).JPG

Ping Woods (15).JPG

• SPY VIP

The surprise favorite in this group is actually the G20 hybrid. I know that plenty of people hate the way it looks, but damned if it doesn't do what it's supposed to. It's not the longest hybrid out there, but it goes the same distance just about every time you swing it. To me, that's a much bigger deal. It's also not nearly as hook-prone as some would think. I have been fighting a hook lately, but the G20 tends to hold its line quite well compared to other hybrids.

I had a similar experience with the K15 hybrid. It certainly isn't the prettiest hybrid on the market, but it always went straight, and maintained distance very well on mis-hits.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I don't get along with the rest of the G series but your spot on with the hybrids Matt. Hideous looking but dead straight ball flight with good, but not great, distance every time. I do have to be careful not to overcook the shot as that can lead to hooks but other then that I have no complaints. Well none other then I wish they could be stealthed out like the i20.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• 3 weeks later...

Small update:

I mentioned in the initial review of the wedges that I was concerned about the amount of bounce and the sole width, particularly on the 60*. I want to say that I was dead wrong: these are, all-in-all, the best wedges I've ever had. I played yesterday and had no issue hitting lobs over bunkers, chips, pitches, or anything else. And, as I said before, the biggest reason I love them is the distance control on full and half shots. Half wedges have always been my favorite shots, but now I'm darned near perfect with my distances.

I know the wedges are pricey, but they are definitely worth a look. I'm seriously considering getting a back up set (or two).

Hope you got the "Smith family discount" on that bag Matt. They put you in their most expensive product line. The retail prices on those wedges alone even made me wince and I'm a Ping fan. ;)

I'm slowly putting a Ping bag back together myself after playing most of last year with a bag sporting some of the spoils from our first months on the forum. My Bridgestone blades were the first to go in favor of I15's.

I paired those up with Tour-W wedges although I'm oddly intrigued by the Eye2 XG's. Yeah I know... don't ask me why I'm drawn to them. Aside from the Guyson finish (which I love), they are fugly at address and the sand wedge has way too much offset. I guess it's mostly because I never bagged Eye 2's back in the day. Anyway, I might try to find a gently used set to give them a try. But, in the end, I'll probably stick with the Tour-W's.

BTW, Matt S. playing with an off the rack major OEM putter? Now I know the apocalypse is upon us...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"