TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unofficial Review – How MGS chooses their reviewers, a non-scientific study of 18 months of member reviews.

TBS

5 minutes ago, MattF said:

Correct. Myself and @MaxEntropy were both chosen for the Bridgestone one...had to sign an NDA for that one too.

Yes - That should be added somewhere. In all of those cases, these "special" selections were clearly stated in the Tester announcement if I remember correctly. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

Great information here and doing this as an outside eye is great. If you follow a majority of the tests just following the peak season (right now) reiterates the MGS selection criteria.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

55 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Your original post hit on once selected you become a little more selective in your choices for applying to tests. I know this is true for me, once I got the first one done and had the lay of how reviews go (was not selected initially but someone had to back out due to the pandemic and  gave me the opportunity) I became comfortable with the process and have really tried to focus on things that truly interest me. The site has given me insight into things I never really looked at before. It has prompted a few of my purchases over the past year (push cart and planemate) and has given me some great information along the way. Also some great private chit chats about life in general of note @Shankster@bens197and getting out with some great members @StrokerAce and @Wedgieand of course my main group player @B.Boston

With the new process of getting folks involved to join from social media I hope a lot realize the benefits of the site and are able to enjoy it as much as I do!

Spot on ML. Aside from the equipment and content, there are some fantastic humans who occupy this site. The discourse is kind and even in disagreement, it’s always cordial. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This was a fun read. Good work on compiling all of this together.  Enjoy your time on the forum!

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Your original post hit on once selected you become a little more selective in your choices for applying to tests. I know this is true for me, once I got the first one done and had the lay of how reviews go (was not selected initially but someone had to back out due to the pandemic and  gave me the opportunity) I became comfortable with the process and have really tried to focus on things that truly interest me. The site has given me insight into things I never really looked at before. It has prompted a few of my purchases over the past year (push cart and planemate) and has given me some great information along the way. Also some great private chit chats about life in general of note @Shankster@bens197and getting out with some great members @StrokerAce and @Wedgieand of course my main group player @B.Boston

With the new process of getting folks involved to join from social media I hope a lot realize the benefits of the site and are able to enjoy it as much as I do!

Just wait until you venture to the south!  😎

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

2 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

This was a fun read. Good work on compiling all of this together.  Enjoy your time on the forum!

Just wait until you venture to the south!  😎

My wife is well aware when we are able to travel and eventually move I have a whole crew of folks I will be getting rounds in with lol! She always says shes a golf widow in the summer....Atleast its not 12 months right?!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

12 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Interesting breakdown. I know there is a human element behind it all and that we want to encourage new members join and be active as a chance to become a new tester along with MGS wanting to give new people a opportunity to test products. There are also others (like myself) who have been very fortunate to take part in multiple tests. They are a lot of work and a lot of fun.

Another part of it (at least I feel) after testing once we become more selective in what we apply for. Again speaking from personal experience I likely won't be applying for another putter review even if I love the putters that are available. Although I loved doing the review it was very hard and difficult to quantify results. Plus I like the putter so I think it will stay in the bag for a while longer. 

I would be curious to know what all the Golden Tickets were used on?

This is going back a little while, but there have also been testers where OEM's have got MGS to choose them privately (I remember there being a Bridgestone set and the Ping Blueprint Irons) these are likely outside of the 18 months you were looking at. Also there is the fact its important that the OEM get a quality review for the product they are giving away and for MGS it is important to select members who will provide that. 

In the end personally I feel a good introduction post, being active and taking interest in topics on the site (whatever they may be cooking, fantasy sports, CHA and more) will help get your name noticed. Doing a unofficial review on a product you have is another great way prove you have what it takes to do an Official Review. It certainly would have been interesting if there was a set formula, but much like golf there is a feel and rub of the green element and no way to predict what is going to happen or who will for sure be selected!

Great job putting all that data together and good recap as well, it certainly was interesting to go through and see some of those numbers which came up.  

One thing to note, is that there is a common misconception for most of the new or non testers, testing takes time and dedication, a lot of times it is not just about gaming a new item, it is about noticing those subtle differences between what we are used to use and what you are testing, and try to show others those differences.

@Apolloshowl you already know how much I love data breakdowns and excel, so I am really pleased with this thread.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

1 minute ago, Getoffmylawn said:

This has been a really interesting thread to read. 

Only other thing I'd offer, and it's more of a pile on to @B.BostonWITB comment, but a sufficiently high post volume isn't just a measure of dedication to the forum and whether you're a danger of ghosting the review (although obviously that's a big part of it), but it also helps other forum members identify whose games are more relatable and similar to my own.  In other words, while I read pretty much every review, I tend to find and focus in on a particular tester if I get a general sense of a reasonably comparable game between him and I.  And the mods always do a good job of selecting testers from a range of skill sets to make that possible.

It is the same way with me, when  new round of testing is published, although I read them all, I concentrate and pay close attention to members that I know have a similar game to mine and by all means to the ones who I know from the forums personal interactions.

My Reviews:

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

7 hours ago, MattF said:

Correct. Myself and @MaxEntropy were both chosen for the Bridgestone one...had to sign an NDA for that one too.

Quite interesting. I need to dig that test out. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

14 minutes ago, TBT said:

I found this interesting, only because it goes to show that what MGS set out to do is actually working. They have to be very selective when it comes to handing out items review, with all tests there are risks of someone taking the item and “ghosting“ and never being heard from again. There are also those that have to be prodded along and reminded to make comments and complete their reviews. If you go back and look at most of the review threads you will see that some of the testers were much more engaged than others and constantly made updates and answered questions in the thread, I’m sure the moderators look at that and make note of those testers and I’m sure if you did some research you would fine that the testers that are more engaged in their review are probably more likely to get selected much quicker to do another review.

I saw it and mentioned by somebody above, but most people don’t realize how much work goes into a good equipment review, it’s much more than just taking a new piece of equipment and using it and giving your opinion. A good reviewer goes out of their way to get out and use the piece of equipment they were given and provide their thoughts on it, they are also available for questions and comments on a regular basis and they end up learning how to take better photos and videos because of it.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to go through the number of applicants that show interest in testing some items, for instants the Callaway driver Testing just ended sign-ups with 5701 people showing interest..... The moderators have to pick 4 people out of 5700.... that alone is a massive undertaking and I tip my hat to them for all the hard work they do.

i’ve been lucky enough to participate in a couple of testings here at MGS and I take them very seriously, it always aggravates me to see someone selected to review something and then not really follow through with it. I always think that they took an opportunity away from someone who would’ve done a much better job. So if I have one piece of advice to give a potential new tester it would be to take that responsibility seriously and remember that you were lucky enough to be selected out of the thousands that applied, if you keep that in mind and do a good job eventually you’ll get selected for another review.

I am super impressed and happy that the new way to apply for testing opportunities is driving so much traffic to the forum, I do not the details of how that data is extracted by the mods, but I would assume that with the new format, there are filters that can be applied to make that almost 6k applications, so the mods have a more manageable list of applicants to look at.

I had mentioned to @GolfSpy_THV how pleased I was on the new application process when it first went live.

And maybe with the forum growing and we hopefully retaining some of the traffic that comes in just for testing opportunities, there will be more official testing from different OEMs, as well as new opportunities for new MODs and behind the scenes staff.

As for the 5701 applications I would think that in the past it meant that Rob @Golfspy_CG2 and the other mods spent countess hours looking and researching applicants to narrow down the field.

My Reviews: