What do you think about golf being in the Olympics?

I suppose, with golf being a staple of the Olympics, more people will get to know the sport and get a feel of the game. This will affect the “golf economy” greatly.
As more parents start teaching their kids golf, the sport will grow in popularity and you will see all golf-related prices drop. While golf will still be more expensive due to more equipment being needed, but an increase in interest will lead to much lower prices. (https://sportsquotes.us/golf)
Sometimes, people who want to play Golf cannot afford it. This is a very sad thing. Thus, Golf should be available to all.

• Like 1

I personally don’t care whether golf is in the olympics or not.  My view on what the olympics should be clouds my judgement though.  I believe the Olympics is a sporting event to showcase the best amateur athletes in the world and not those that participate in that event as their profession.  

will the olympics boost the profile of golf?  I don’t thing any more than current levels. If you don’t like golf you probably won’t watch and just want to know the country that won the medals.  Do you know who won the medals in golf at the last Olympics without looking it up?   I also don’t think that increase interest equates to lower prices and could actually lead to an increase. Companies want to make money and until sales significantly increase over a long period of time they won’t reduce.   I believe it is the golfers themselves that create the popularity in golf.  People want to be like Tiger or Fowler or the new underdog.   The pandemic created a new boost to golf but will that trend continue over time?    PXG as a company did lower prices during the pandemic and was able to significantly grow their company, but their company model is different than other OEMs.

people say that golf is expensive; and new equipment is expensive and green fees can add up., but there are programs and sources of affordable used equipment that players could take advantage of if they really wanted to get involved in the game.  Part of the responsibility of organizations like the PGA,  USGA, European Tour, and the R&A are to get people involved in the sport.  That is a big part of the criticism of the $40 million dollar bonuses going to the players; the tour should be spending that addition money to grow the game.  

in summary, I don’t thing the Olympics will do anything to grow the game of golf.  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Olympic golf is just kinda meh for me. I don't know or believe it grows the game or raises golfs profile in any major fashion. I am pretty sure kids growing up will dream of winning any of the Majors or The Players before they think about Olympic golf. When I tune in to watch the Olympics, golf is one of the last sports I will likely search for to watch. Golf I can watch any weekend, where as river kayaking, archery and so many others are rarely seen on TV and those are the sports that get a boost from the exposure. 

Personal example curling in the winter Olympics was the only sport to be shown every single day of the Olympics and we see a huge boost in participation and new members along with funding from associations due to it. 

In terms of pricing I can think of several sports that are more expensive. Yes, getting into bigger competitions and to those stages prices likely increase. However so many clubs offer junior programs and prices to enter in. Hockey I would say is way more expensive, even figure skating my parents forked out a ton for my sister with ice time and lessons and so on. This is not to say there isn't a decent amount that can be invested into golf, however I don't believe it is that much more then many other sports.

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

From a PGA tour players point of view, they have to make the decision if it is worth going over there to play or not. Has this been a dream of yours to always go play golf in the Olympics and try to win a gold medal for your country? For some, it absolutely is. Here is an interesting read that interviews Rahm talking about the event. It is right after the Open Championship. There is a lot of travel involved and the Olympic Committee is basically forcing you to stay in the hotel, can't go watch other events, and only start practicing on Wednesday before. 

I think the more the top players in the world play in the Olympics,  more people tune into it, more money gets put into golf. On the flip side, as it looks this year, there is going to be opportunities for lesser known players to shine and get their name on the world stage. I'm excited to watch it either way.

Jon Rahm critical of Olympic Committee but still has Gold Medal dream | GolfMagic

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver

:adams-small: GT Tight Lies 3 & 5 wood

:taylormade-small: SLDR AW - 4 iron S flex

:cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 RTX 588 56°

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 08M 60°

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Posted (edited)

MAKE IT A TEAM EVENT!

There are so many better formats for Golf than just a stroke play tournament. Look at the successes of all of the other team events in golf from all levels. Even throw in a mixed event. 2 or 4 person teams for countries competing in a mix of match play, best ball, even scramble, would be exciting.

Edited by TBS
Sp
  • Like 4

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

I can't say it really bothers me either way.  It should increase it's exposure a little, which isn't a bad thing.

The Olympics hasn't really been an 'amateur' competion for ages, which is a shame, but I suppose to be competetive needs a 'professional' level of commitment and resources.

For me golf is much more of a 'sport' than the 'panel awarded, points scored' events like ice dancing, gymnastics and diving.

• Like 1

I will watch it, because its golf but I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't part of the Olympics. Golf is so easily accessible on TV and social media etc im not sure how many new people will be exposed to the game, Im also not sure the prices would come down if more people played. 

I do believe it should be amateurs though, each country sends 2 or 3 of their highest rated amateurs and the main tours should offer incentives to the winners, like entry into the majors or other big tournaments.  

• Like 1

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:bridgestone-small:, Ball, Tour B X

I could care less, and people only watch specific sports they like.  So golf being in the Olympics is not going to affect the growth of the game.

• Like 1

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

I'm with some of the above, I don't think it will grow the game and personally I don't care if it's part of the Olympics or not.  There's plenty of golf on TV already to keep me occupied.  

• Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybrids 3,5,6

Apex 21 6-gw

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58

PXG Operator H 

Interesting that some say it won’t grow the game. The number of Asian female players on the LPGA are here to gain more world ranking points to hopefully make the team. Se Ri Pak had a large influence on the game in Korea and I would imagine others in Korea now seeing so many successful members on the LPGA and performing in the Olympics will help. How about places like Mexico, Colombia and other countries where golfer like Abraham Ancer, Gaby Lopez, Joaquin Nieman, Maria Fassi to name a few.

Kids seeing these golfers in the Olympics give them a chance to see that there are other options. 

Will the growth be Tiger like or Pak in Korea probably not but the exposure helps

• Love 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The best thing about the olympics is watching the non mainstream sports that are rarely if ever shown on tv. There’s so much access to major sports that I don’t care about them in the Olympic format.I won’t watch gymnastics, track and field, and others unless it’s Olympic coverage. Golf, hockey, and basketball are accessible all the time and I don’t need to see them in the Olympics.

• Like 1

For me, the Olympics "used" to be about amateur athletes.  Golf, basketball, hockey, etc are done using professionals anymore.  I'm against that.  If they reverted back to pure amateur status for all Olympic Games, I'd be much more aligned with the idea.  Sadly, that's not likely to happen.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I think Olympic golf has the potential to grow the game in many countries, but don't expect it to have much of an impact in North America or Europe where the game is either deeply rooted, wildly popular (by comparison to other parts of the world), or both. I think it's a great opportunity for the athletes who get to compete for an Olympic medal - something nearly every kid (at least in the US) has probably thought about at least once while growing up.

I also concur with both @cnosil and @CarlH about amateur competition - that's how the Olympics were born, and that's how it should be.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I like it, but as others have said, it would be better if it wasn't just a 72-hole tournament like every other week. I would like it as a four ball match play tournament. 32 teams feels like a good number. 2 golfers per country.

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

31 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I like it, but as others have said, it would be better if it wasn't just a 72-hole tournament like every other week. I would like it as a four ball match play tournament. 32 teams feels like a good number. 2 golfers per country.

What about countries that only have 1 golfer qualify? Do you not let them qualify because of the 2 person limit so on my counties that can field 2 person teams are allowed? There’s other sports that only have a single person qualify and in some cases the entire contingency from a country could be 1 person or a handful

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What about countries that only have 1 golfer qualify? Do you not let them qualify because of the 2 person limit so on my counties that can field 2 person teams are allowed? There’s other sports that only have a single person qualify and in some cases the entire contingency from a country could be 1 person or a handful

I honestly didn't really think much on the effect on smaller county and really outside of north American standpoint. Living in Switzerland golf is so different here. Much more exclusive and expensive. I have been told it's only recently they are trying to expand more and gain in popularity. However places like Germany, Italy, Portugal it is much more affordable. 

I don't think if you are a lone golfer in your country to qualify you should be left out because there isn't someone else. Golf isn't a team sport (most cases) so it only seems right to qualify as many as you can and just cap a max of 2 per country. 

I'll be sure to see if olympic golf seemingly has an effect on golf here though.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

I think the Olympics have become a joke in some sports by allowing all the pro athletes to compete, I understand why it happened, many of the eastern European countries were paying their athletes to train for the Olympics and that’s all they did they were actually de facto professional athletes that were competing against amateurs from other countries across the world so several countries made changes to help their teams compete against these other countries. But just because I understand it doesn’t mean that I like it, I much preferred the Olympics when it was amateur athletes competing for nothing but pride of their country.

golf in the Olympics is really nothing more than another tour event with most of the big name players choosing to skip it

• Like 3

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I never watch the Olympics so I don't care if golf is involved or not.  I am irritated by people who seem to think it is the responsibility of athletes to participate in the Olympics. 

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

5 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

I honestly didn't really think much on the effect on smaller county and really outside of north American standpoint. Living in Switzerland golf is so different here. Much more exclusive and expensive. I have been told it's only recently they are trying to expand more and gain in popularity. However places like Germany, Italy, Portugal it is much more affordable. 

I don't think if you are a lone golfer in your country to qualify you should be left out because there isn't someone else. Golf isn't a team sport (most cases) so it only seems right to qualify as many as you can and just cap a max of 2 per country. 

I'll be sure to see if olympic golf seemingly has an effect on golf here though.

I don’t expect countries will see huge growth in the game because of the Olympics and any impact will vary by region. Like you say there’s different factors in each country that will play a role in any growth.

4 minutes ago, TBT said:

I think the Olympics have become a joke in some sports by allowing all the pro athletes to compete, I understand why it happened, many of the eastern European countries were paying their athletes to train for the Olympics and that’s all they did they were actually de facto professional athletes that were competing against amateurs from other countries across the world so several countries made changes to help their teams compete against these other countries. But just because I understand it doesn’t mean that I like it, I much preferred the Olympics when it was amateur athletes competing for nothing but pride of their country.

golf in the Olympics is really nothing more than another tour event with most of the big name players choosing to skip it

Considering it’s only been played one time so far and occurred during another “pandemic” many players that skipped did it for health concerns or so they say. And now it’s happening again in similar situations and with the host country limiting who the players can have with them as well as reducing access to the course until a day or two before the competition starts isn’t helping.

kind of hard to say players are skipping it based on the situations surrounding the event

• Like 1