TESTERS WANTED! ×

Optionality in a Golf Hole, what is a good example from your home or favorite course?

I think about this a good deal and how hard it can be to design "options" for a wide range of players. You have to be thoughtful about your tee placement, hazard placement, land movement, green design etc. The obvious examples are when there is water or a bunker to carry but just giving the player something to think about and examine and, when playing a golf course often, a few different routes to take. I think that is missing from a lot of the basic municipal courses I play as I am racking my brain for holes were I play a variety of shots off the tee and different strategies based on how well I am playing. But, I may be confusing optionality with risk/reward as one example that stands out to me is a very dramatic example from Tobacco Road:

image.png.1ef33b03ac94bf9e7b16869054436be5.png

Option 1: This is a par 4 where it is about 210 to cover the bunkers straight but a little bit uphill so realistically need to hit 225-240 to be safely up there. The width of that tongue of fairway is about 30 yds so just enough to have a long think about it. If you miss by a little bit you are in the bunker which isn't that bad but if you miss by a lot you could be in some of those green spots in the waste bunker where you will likely lose a ball.

Option 2: The safe play out to the right can be a 180 shot way right (which leaves 130 in) which is very safe

Option 3: Or you can take on a little risk and aim over the right edge of the bunkers and have closer to 100 in.

I am racking my brain for a hole that gives me options in our municipal system and the only one I can come up with wasn't even really designed for it, I don't think -- Two Rivers Golf Course is Nashville:

image.png.c4a0bacaabf9e99f3a8354b0d2ccc675.png

Option A (white line): You can hit a 220 yard shot straight with a 50 yd landing zone that is very obviously how the hole is designed to be played. This, however safe, will leave you with about 180-170 into the green unless you can hit a banana slice (or lefty hook) and make it 160-150.

Option B (yellow line): This line exploits gaps in the trees and that same 220 yd shot will leave 120-130 into the green but at a slightly worse angle AND there is the risk you clip a tree branch on your way there. 

Option C is between the two lines where you have to hit a 3W or Driver that gets up quickly but will leave about 140 in if you can fade it a little. 

Ultimately, it seems like when I go to an expensive course I feel like I am paying for at least two things: conditioning and thoughtful design. I just don't get a lot of "options" at my inexpensive local courses. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

I think about this a good deal and how hard it can be to design "options" for a wide range of players. You have to be thoughtful about your tee placement, hazard placement, land movement, green design etc. The obvious examples are when there is water or a bunker to carry but just giving the player something to think about and examine and, when playing a golf course often, a few different routes to take. I think that is missing from a lot of the basic municipal courses I play as I am racking my brain for holes were I play a variety of shots off the tee and different strategies based on how well I am playing. But, I may be confusing optionality with risk/reward as one example that stands out to me is a very dramatic example from Tobacco Road:

Option 1: This is a par 4 where it is about 210 to cover the bunkers straight but a little bit uphill so realistically need to hit 225-240 to be safely up there. The width of that tongue of fairway is about 30 yds so just enough to have a long think about it. If you miss by a little bit you are in the bunker which isn't that bad but if you miss by a lot you could be in some of those green spots in the waste bunker where you will likely lose a ball.

Option 2: The safe play out to the right can be a 180 shot way right (which leaves 130 in) which is very safe

Option 3: Or you can take on a little risk and aim over the right edge of the bunkers and have closer to 100 in.

I am racking my brain for a hole that gives me options in our municipal system and the only one I can come up with wasn't even really designed for it, I don't think -- Two Rivers Golf Course is Nashville:

image.png.c4a0bacaabf9e99f3a8354b0d2ccc675.png

Option A (white line): You can hit a 220 yard shot straight with a 50 yd landing zone that is very obviously how the hole is designed to be played. This, however safe, will leave you with about 180-170 into the green unless you can hit a banana slice (or lefty hook) and make it 160-150.

Option B (yellow line): This line exploits gaps in the trees and that same 220 yd shot will leave 120-130 into the green but at a slightly worse angle AND there is the risk you clip a tree branch on your way there. 

Option C is between the two lines where you have to hit a 3W or Driver that gets up quickly but will leave about 140 in if you can fade it a little. 

Ultimately, it seems like when I go to an expensive course I feel like I am paying for at least two things: conditioning and thoughtful design. I just don't get a lot of "options" at my inexpensive local courses. 

First course looks like it would be soooo cool - where is it?  I think that hole might be perfect for me - I aim for the "tongue" over the sand and if I accidently push or fade it too much it'll be a little shorter and on the fairway to the right.  I need to go find the picture, but we had a really cool hole like that at a public muni course.  Unfortunately it closed recently and is now just publicly owned weeds....  I hear they are looking for a new group to run it so they are at least keeping up the infrastructure.

Edited by Clayton

The first course is Tobacco Road in Sanford, NC, designed by Mike Strantz and it has some of the most interesting/outlandish hole designs I have ever seen. There is a ton of video on youtube showing that course off. It's actually pretty playable and not overly difficult IF you just take the safe route most of the time. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

3 hours ago, vandyland said:

2 hours ago, Clayton said:

First course looks like it would be soooo cool - where is it?  I think that hole might be perfect for me - I aim for the "tongue" over the sand and if I accidently push or fade it too much it'll be a little shorter and on the fairway to the right.

As @vandyland says, that's a Mike Strantz design called Tobacco Road, just a bit north of Pinehurst, NC.   Its a very cool golf course, Strantz is a genius in tempting players to make risky choices.  What the sat photo doesn't show is that the sand is all at an elevation 10 feet or more below the level of the green.  That tongue of fairway is the biggest false front ever, if your ball doesn't make it to the green, it rolls back 30 yards into the sand.  How good are any of us at a 40-yard significantly uphill bunker shot to a shallow green with run-offs both front and back? Unless you are REALLY straight, going for the green is foolish.  Fun, if you make it, but foolish.  And if you play Tobacco Road, you'll get maybe a dozen chances to make this kind of choice.  

To me, the better "optionality" holes, which I do think is synonymous with risk-reward, are those hole that present the player with a "how much" choice, rather than a clear either-or choice.  When the penalty for failure is too severe, the choice is simple.  But when its a graduation of increasing reward for increasing risk, these are more interesting to me.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

@DaveP043 I think I have a pretty good idea what you are talking about. We have a classic "how much" 18th hole finisher here in Nashville at The President's Reserve course at Hermitage Golf Course:

image.png.8a70e2a4413431f4b069e5c2581eebb0.png

The white line is about 200 yds which probably takes a big number out of play but also makes reaching the green impossible. The yellow line is 250 yds and riskier (especially if you are prone to the left miss) but gives you a really good chance at getting home in 2 or making a 7. Watching people play this hole is very fun, especially in match play. To be honest most everyone hits Driver here if they can play decently well except one of the best players I play with who routinely takes driving iron here and makes it a 3 shot hole just because he has some scar tissue here. 

Short Par 4, about 230 carry over water, usually with wind.  Long isn't great unless you get in a bunker. left and right are both wet.

The smart play is 7-8 iron (~175yds), then a wedge in.  Pretty easy par.

Almost everyone goes for the green, with lots of doubles.  Maybe 1 in 10 hit the green.

262469494_ScreenShot2021-05-13at2_31_48PM.png.e5a64a7b4ce9fb756a0e1a1ce3b63787.png

8* SIM2 Custom / PX RDX Smoke Black 6.0 46.5"

15* SIM Ti / Velocore 7s

19* SIM Max Hy / GOST 39.5"

4,5 Srixon ZX5  6-P Srixon ZX7  ProjectX LZ 120 6.0

50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, Stability Tour shaft and SuperStroke

JumboMax Ultralight Small on Driver, Golf Pride Tour Velvet (irons and MCC (woods) Mid on all others.

TP5X Pix  and -ProV1

I thought about this a lot after I decided to give the Tee It Forward program a try. At my then age of 77, I had lost a lot of distance. With my drive down from 250yd in my early 60s to 190yd now, the course the TIF program's table recommended for me was 5100yd, not the 6400yd I used to be comfortable with. Relevant to this discussion, one of the big differences was the re-emergence of options. I used to have to think about my tee shot. But trying to play the middle tees with my reduced distance meant there was no thinking involved; just grab the driver, grip it 'n' rip it! From my TIF tees at 5100yd or so, I'm back to thinking about options. The course I played yesterday (Shark River in my home county of Monmouth, NJ) is no longer a driver-only course; in fact, I only bought out the driver seven times the whole round.

I wrote an article about it. Even have a section showing how TIF brings back the options and forces you to think about it. Here's a link to the section showing selected holes and how they relate to options you have to think about with TIF. <https://tutelman.com/golf/justgolf/teeItForward.php#Case_studies>

7 hours ago, vandyland said:

I don't see an option. I see about a 30 yard wide landing area and an architect that is trying to entice you. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 hours ago, Clayton said:

Here it is.  SUPER fun hole.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 5.51.26 PM.png

The “option” on the left is a straight line to the green. Why would anyone go left???

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

This is a 320 yard hole near me that provides three options.  You can hit to the left fairway (which is lower than the right) and have a sight into the green.  You can hit towards the bunker and lay up short.  This will provide you with a blind shot at the green since the dark area just past the bunker is a hill that would block your view.  The third option is to try to drive over the bunker and the hill (carry about 230).  The ball will land on a downslope and carry toward the green.  Most of the time I have play this hole it is into the wind.

1306128405_millcreek18.jpg.f4d0e895f6aabc4597c355603d386e30.jpg

Mizuno Irons, Callaway Driver, Cleveland Wedges, Evnroll putter

5 hours ago, vandyland said:

@DaveP043 I think I have a pretty good idea what you are talking about. We have a classic "how much" 18th hole finisher here in Nashville at The President's Reserve course at Hermitage Golf Course:

image.png.8a70e2a4413431f4b069e5c2581eebb0.png

The white line is about 200 yds which probably takes a big number out of play but also makes reaching the green impossible. The yellow line is 250 yds and riskier (especially if you are prone to the left miss) but gives you a really good chance at getting home in 2 or making a 7. Watching people play this hole is very fun, especially in match play. To be honest most everyone hits Driver here if they can play decently well except one of the best players I play with who routinely takes driving iron here and makes it a 3 shot hole just because he has some scar tissue here. 

I’ve played that course of couple of times, LPGA used to play the Sara Lee Classic there a long time ago

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

2 hours ago, TBT said:

I’ve played that course of couple of times, LPGA used to play the Sara Lee Classic there a long time ago

I did too.  

Before a scramble tournament, my wife and I along with a couple of buddies played the course to get familiar with it.  After I paid for our round, I asked the pro behind the desk:

Me (being a smart a$$):  "Where's the 1st tee and what's the course record?"
Pro:  "The tee is right over there, and the course record is 62 by Annika Sorenstam (at the Sara Lee Classic)"
Me (still being a smart a$$):  "Oh yeah, sure... from the chick tees."

My wife and buddies ran out the door laughing.  The pro stood there deadpan, not saying a word.,  I thought it was funny... I was a 16 HCP.

Loved the course; we also played The General's Retreat.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

The “option” on the left is a straight line to the green. Why would anyone go left???

Left is much wider and an easier play, IMO.  Right you have to hit a real quality shot, but you'll also have a shorter approach.  I typically would just hit it the woods for the 3rd "middle double bogey" option. 

18 hours ago, vandyland said:

The first course is Tobacco Road in Sanford, NC, designed by Mike Strantz and it has some of the most interesting/outlandish hole designs I have ever seen. There is a ton of video on youtube showing that course off. It's actually pretty playable and not overly difficult IF you just take the safe route most of the time. 

Looks quite interesting on google maps.

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Me (being a smart a$$):  "Where's the 1st tee and what's the course record?"
Pro:  "The tee is right over there, and the course record is 62 by Annika Sorenstam (at the Sara Lee Classic)"
Me (still being a smart a$$):  "Oh yeah, sure... from the chick tees."

I played a course in Florida some years ago when someone (you? 😁) asked the same question. All four guys behind the counter said in unison, "Turn right out the door, four hours." All very deadpan, and I think everyone in line burst out laughing. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Another good "how much" hole is #3 at True Blue in Pawley's Island:

image.png.1091a71479394823abe5d214dcaee628.png

The yellow line is like a 200 yard shot straight forward into a 60 yd wide landing area which is safe but you won't have any real chance at going for it in 2 and, more importantly, your second shot is now a bit tougher. 

The white line is must carry at least 245 and the landing zone is only 40 yds between water and waste bunker/trees but would leave you with 175 into the green in 2. 

For me, this is not really a decision since I am taking the yellow line with hybrid every time. My driver dispersion is more than 40 yds. 

8 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Another good "how much" hole is #3 at True Blue in Pawley's Island:

This is a pretty common layout on Strantz courses.  Both 4 and 11 at Tobacco Road, and #2 at Royal New Kent, follow a similar "fishhook" routing.  Even when the choices on the tee shot are (or seem to be) straightforward, the second shot choice is complicated.  These greens are generally very shallow when approached with a long second shot, but much deeper when approached after a successful lay-up.  For all but the very best players, the "daring" choice is almost always the statistically wrong choice.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

There are quite a few holes that come to mind at my home course, but my favorite holes for their options are #4 and #16.

Hole #4  (https://www.braemargolf.com/championship-hole-4/) – Even though the left side is more direct and flatter, it is much riskier with water left and the ball above your feet for your second shot and there are huge bunkers and deep rough with a massive side hill if you leave your second shot out to the right.  If you take the longer route on your second shot you have to play up a big hill to the right, but there is much less risk and you can actually catch a down slope and run your ball onto the green.  I typically take the route to the right and try to play the slope, but it is always tempting to play up the left when you can see everything so directly.

995107851_Braemar4.jpg.40981765fb1e7595b4fd1fc25d166361.jpg

Hole #16 (https://www.braemargolf.com/championship-hole-16/)  – This hole is a blast to play.  To go for the green in two, you have to challenge the water on the left off of the tee and then carry the water the entire distance to the green on your second shot.  If you play more conservative to the right the fairway is massive and you have a relatively straight forward second and third shot.  The tee design is also very well done because each set of tees has progressively less (or no) carry on the first shot and is better positioned for the right route.  I don't know if I have ever played this hole without at least one person from our group hitting it in the water on their second shot.

756589006_Braemar16.jpg.329410dc3eca6ef6f519b08908e08b68.jpg

Driver:  :cleveland-small: HiBore XL Tour, Aldila VS Proto 

Fairway:   :titelist-small: 980F 15* and 19* 

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP-32 5-PW and MX-23 3 -4, Rifle 6.0

Wedges:  :mizuno-small:  MP-T4 54*, 60*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small:  Studio Design 1.5 

Ball:   :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 2 months later...

Somehow I missed this thread when it happened.

Not my home course, but I've played it quite a few times.

image.png.c4d1af0be894072ead219405a0d2db52.png

The left side is the straighter shot and makes this par 5 more reachable, but the left is narrower and uphill. The right is downhill and quite a bit more open. I usually don't pick a side - aim at the trees in the center and allow the golf gods to decide my route.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Somehow I missed this thread when it happened.

Not my home course, but I've played it quite a few times.

image.png.c4d1af0be894072ead219405a0d2db52.png

The left side is the straighter shot and makes this par 5 more reachable, but the left is narrower and uphill. The right is downhill and quite a bit more open. I usually don't pick a side - aim at the trees in the center and allow the golf gods to decide my route.

#7 at Boulder Creek. I always go right.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star