TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting alignment help/drills

I'm looking for some advice on how to stop second guessing my putt alignment. Or do even know if i'm aligning properly I guess. I typically will line my ball up take a few steps back check it then either adjust or realign then remove my marker. Now here is where I have the biggest issue I stand over the ball and every time it seems that my ball is misaligned by like a foot. Any and all help is greatly appreciated  

3 minutes ago, TxTwinDad+2 said:

I'm looking for some advice on how to stop second guessing my putt alignment. Or do even know if i'm aligning properly I guess. I typically will line my ball up take a few steps back check it then either adjust or realign then remove my marker. Now here is where I have the biggest issue I stand over the ball and every time it seems that my ball is misaligned by like a foot. Any and all help is greatly appreciated  

Check out this video from TXG. Gives some really nice cues on alignment and how your perception of alignment can change based on setup

12 minutes ago, TxTwinDad+2 said:

What you are describing is common and called parallax error.   The ideal solution would be to get yourself in the setup that eliminates that perception.   Buy adjusting things like how close you are to the ball and head position you can find a setup that will show what you are seeing for the side correctly.  Or you can do nothing and try to accept that the setup,is correct based on what you saw from behind the ball.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

37 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What you are describing is common and called parallax error.   The ideal solution would be to get yourself in the setup that eliminates that perception.   Buy adjusting things like how close you are to the ball and head position you can find a setup that will show what you are seeing for the side correctly.  Or you can do nothing and try to accept that the setup,is correct based on what you saw from behind the ball.   

Yes!  Watch this Mike Malaska video.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Thanks for looking that up; I was being lazy 😂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

This is exactly what I was talking about!! Big thanks KennyB and Cnosil. I'm gonna head to the course after work to work on this for a bit!!! Update coming soon 

My favorite drill helps with seeing your alignment and keeping your stroke online.

this is not me in the photo, it’s a product you can buy....I took some old alignment sticks and cut them short and bought some heavy colored twine and made my own.

it helps you see your alignment and helps you to start the ball online....it works really well if you have a sharpie line on the ball.

9A1E4E95-EB62-41C2-99CF-E46B2F56714B.jpeg

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

1 hour ago, TBT said:

My favorite drill helps with seeing your alignment and keeping your stroke online.

this is not me in the photo, it’s a product you can buy....I took some old alignment sticks and cut them short and bought some heavy colored twine and made my own.

it helps you see your alignment and helps you to start the ball online....it works really well if you have a sharpie line on the ball.

9A1E4E95-EB62-41C2-99CF-E46B2F56714B.jpeg

I have a couple of these; can be made for a couple of bucks.  It's great if you putt with your eyes over the ball like I do; I don't think it's much help for players that have a strong arc and eyes inside the ball.

What I like about it is you can set it up on a straight putt to the hole, which helps to see if you can repeat a stroke.  It is also useful for breaking putts.  Place one end of the string a foot behind the hole on a line either right or left of the hole where a ball struck with the speed to stop at the end of the string breaks into the hole.  It's a good visualization of how much speed is needed for the amount of break.  If you leave breaking putts short, practicing with this string helps.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

34 minutes ago, TxTwinDad+2 said:

Yeah I've seen this string deal as well I guess I just worry about the frowning on me setting it up. 

When you guys practice putting how long do yall typically do it for?

30-60 mins. Depends on how many times I run thru the drills

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've always struggled with parallax error as well.  No matter how I set up to the ball, it never looks correct.  However, since I have been intentional about training my eyes to see what a proper alignment is, I've had much less time not trusting the line I pick.  It literally just took lots and lots of reps for me (aka practicing putting) to begin to trust, accept, and see the line properly at address. 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

I think it can change over time as your vision changes.  I was always an eyes over the ball putter and did quite well with it for a couple decades.  But a few years ago my putting game started a downhill slide even with tons of practice on the backyard green.  I thought it was related to adjusting to stronger glasses.  After seeing the you tube videos referenced above I experimented and moved my head back from the line a bit and my putting has improved a lot.  I also changed putters after testing the Heppler Fetch last fall but can pull out the old ping anser or bullseye flange and see better results too.  I recommend videoing your putting stroke and look for tendencies in your stroke and / or misses from a known flat putt distance of 10 to 15 feet.  

I played in the league last week with someone I hadn't played with since 2019 and after I dropped a couple mid rangers and a 30'er they commented they couldn't bust my stones about my putting game any more!  👍

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I appreciate the input fellas this is literally the first year I have actually started working on putting somewhere other than in a round lol. I think i'll swap out one of my 9 hole days for chipping and putting practice for a couple of months and see how it works out. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to follow up and give an update putting and chipping has improved quite a bit since I started practicing. I do still from time to time back off the putt and check the alignment. I've used arccos over the past month and its been good for tracking issues with putting distances as well.