Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

A little used club advice

I don’t want to make this one too complicated. My son played in a scramble last week.  He hadn’t played in over a year and as a Dad with a busy job and two young kids doesn’t play often.

He’s very active and when he plays hits the ball a mile - when he used to play a lot more I’ve seen him hit 121 on track an and he’s over 140 green stick with no warm up taking a casual swing in the back yard.

The clubs that he is using are an old set of mine - the driver is a Ping Rapture with an upgraded stiff shaft.

I want to buy him a new (used) driver for Father’s Day. I think he will be amazed at what happens when he’s in a x flex shaft.  But I know next to nothing about that equipment segment - I’ve never gamed anything x because by the time it was readily available I had aged out of really needing it. 

Suggestions as to what to look for an eBay? I’d want to be at least 3 models back in order to save some money - it’s the shaft that I’m concerned about here. 

Thanks 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Are you looking 3 models back with a stock x shaft?  

Shafts are so personal, much like a putter or ball imo. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Like when buying other flexes the x flex is just a different flex. Having a rough idea of what he likes in terms of feel from a shaft will help get you in the ball park of what shaft to get.

Does he like a counterbalance shaft, stiff butt end or more soft butt end? Also depending on what route a 6.0 instead of 6.5 in a px could be doable.

If he’s not sure then what shaft is he playing now. 

As for price unless you are going after a Ventus velocore or autoflexx you can probably find good shafts for $200 or less and probably in the $100 range for stock shafts

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If it were me, I’d pick the head and then see what x-stiff stock shafts are available on eBay, 2nd swing, global golf, etc.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If it were me, I’d pick the head and then see what x-stiff stock shafts are available on eBay, 2nd swing, global golf, etc.  

Not a bad idea as it most likely would save you a few $$ if you get an adapter on it.  Another place is the pre-owned Callaway website.  They also have an ebay store which I think in general is a few bucks cheaper then directly from the website.  I picked up a Tensei Blue in X with Callaway Optfit adapter for my Cobra.  I do my own club work so I did the change over myself and have an extra adapter for various buddies Callaways when needed.  

Depending on his driver swing speed, he may need to be 7x and possibly tipped.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I had been there in his shoes with obligation and prioritizing, of what's important in life.

Trust me, cost of golf equipment, as much as they are these days, is nothing comparing to the green fees and other expenses associated with golfing even for just once a week.

His kids will grow up fast enough.  By the time he turned around, they'll be 18 and out of the house either to higher education or started working.  I had never regret the choice I had made.  

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Thanks for the replies guys, all were helpful but this ones the winner. 

I knew I’d get great answers quickly - 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hate to point someone to a different golf forum as I firmly believe the community here is the best, but when shopping for used clubs, take a look over at the classifieds on GolfWRX.  That place is literally flooded with drivers/shafts and I'd say at least half of them are X-flex.  Everyone over there must be a monster.....or at least has convinced themselves that they are.  Jump back to page 7 or 8 until you find ads that are a week or two old and see what is still available.  They are usually pretty motivated sellers and willing to haggle at that point.  I've seen last years cobra speedzone or TM Sim heads as low as $200 and then you can find a shaft pull for $75. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't look for used golf clubs less than 20 years vintage.

One, the "new" model comes out once or several times a calendar year. and the previous NOS will drop at least 50-60%  with OEM warranty.  Secondly, they will not last , even with proper care, because of the new multilevel material construction.  Same theory as in the construction industry material;  where they claim the reconstructed 2x4, glued together with resin will be stronger than the one piece lumber.... what about decades down the road ?   Glue does not expand nor contract in unison with the pieces of natural wood it held together.  That alone will cause issue besides the aging of the resin over the years.

I guess it'll be okay if one doesn't expect the new $600 driver ( upward to close to $1,000)to last beyond a few seasons. and accept the disposable principle.

I talked to many golfers, and some of them trade in their equipment often, simply because they don't expect it to last.  I will be surprised if some of these glued together equipment would maintain their originally designed structural integrity after years of use.  You see the golf clubs made with persimmon , steel still around after a century and could be used on the golf course but, not with the modern equipment.  Not with the current design.

If I'm lucky, I would see new material being introduced into making golf club ( shafts first , then the heads ), however, more realistically, the one piece golf ball should surface before a new mono material shaft.

1 hour ago, release said:

I don't look for used golf clubs less than 20 years vintage.

One, the "new" model comes out once or several times a calendar year. and the previous NOS will drop at least 50-60%  with OEM warranty.  Secondly, they will not last , even with proper care, because of the new multilevel material construction.  Same theory as in the construction industry material;  where they claim the reconstructed 2x4, glued together with resin will be stronger than the one piece lumber.... what about decades down the road ?   Glue does not expand nor contract in unison with the pieces of natural wood it held together.  That alone will cause issue besides the aging of the resin over the years.

I guess it'll be okay if one doesn't expect the new $600 driver ( upward to close to $1,000)to last beyond a few seasons. and accept the disposable principle.

I talked to many golfers, and some of them trade in their equipment often, simply because they don't expect it to last.  I will be surprised if some of these glued together equipment would maintain their originally designed structural integrity after years of use.  You see the golf clubs made with persimmon , steel still around after a century and could be used on the golf course but, not with the modern equipment.  Not with the current design.

If I'm lucky, I would see new material being introduced into making golf club ( shafts first , then the heads ), however, more realistically, the one piece golf ball should surface before a new mono material shaft.

Equipment lasts longer thank most think. I play with guys regularly that have molded and adjustable drivers and woods that are 7-10 years old and they play 3 times a week weather permitting all year.

I played last week with a random guy that had an r15 driver that still hits it 285+ carry

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Equipment lasts longer thank most think. I play with guys regularly that have molded and adjustable drivers and woods that are 7-10 years old and they play 3 times a week weather permitting all year.

I played last week with a random guy that had an r15 driver that still hits it 285+ carry

Fun fact, drivers actually tend to get longer as they get played with, especially with the longer hitters. This is why tour drivers have to get tested occasionally as drivers that were on the edge the rules can actually become non conforming over time. 

If you're unsure of shafts in drivers and you're looking back a few years, I recommend looking up the Titleist shaft charts from whatever year your looking at. They can help give a ballpark idea of where the shafts line up in terms of launch and spin. The charts won't include everything and factory stock shafts may not perform the exact same but it should give you an idea. 

@cnosilbeat me to it (again), but I was going to say Global Golf.  I just did a quick search for used drivers with an extra stiff shaft and got 23 in-stock results back.  Not sure what price range you're looking in...

image.png.210da07b2cb92f740c13b088fc145ab6.png

image.png.2de2fb01a714736b7b6080fd2e941291.png

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1: