Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged vs Callaway Mavrik Max

Hoganman1

I have been playing the Mizunos for about six years after a fitting by one of our pros. I like them, but as I age (turned 71 back in January) I decided to try some SGI irons. I found a set of the Mavriks on sale and have be playing them since early April. Save one round of 76 a few weeks ago, I haven't seen much of an improvement. I just cannot seem to get comfortable with the Callaways. They feel heavy to me and my ball striking is not consistent. I thought the SGIs would be easier to play and help with my bad swings. I've practiced a lot with the Callys, and have hit them well at times. However, cannot seem to achieve that same level of consistency on the course. Has anyone else out there had a similar experience while experimenting? I'm going to go back to the Mizunos the next time I play and see if it is, in fact;  "the arrow and not the archer". Thanks in advance for any advice you care to share. 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Same shaft being used in both sets?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Everyone is different.  I have a set of Mavrik Max irons as a back up and they are the most forgiving irons I've ever played.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

The Mavericks are super chunky and the offset if you’re not used to can really screw with a person.

I had a set of the regular maverick fitted to me , I just couldn’t get used to the offset.

Now I have a set of PXG 0211 From there veteran discount . They are cheaper, with way less offset .

just a thousand times better build. The Mavericks were put together by Club Champion.

PXG blew them out of the water. Saved me over a thousand dollars over Club Champion.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

I just turned 72 - hcp - 8.  After hitting Mizunos for years (latest MP20 with Project X shafts) got fitted with Sirxon ZS5's with KBS 90 fst shafts.  Love em - hitting the ball much higher with a little gain in distance and tight dispersion.

Could be a lot of different things.  As mentioned above, the offset could be a problem or the shafts just may not be right for you. 

Another possibility is the swingweight is just not ideal for you.  You said the Mavriks feel heavy.  Based on the stock specs, the swingweights are about the same 850 vs Mavrik max, but you said the mizunos have XP95 which was lighter than the stock Xp115 meaning the swingweight of your clubs would be lower  than the stock specs.  You've probably also re-gripped since they were new and it's very possible you put on a heavier grip (mid-size or MCC, etc) which would also decrease the swingweight of your old clubs.  The swingweight difference could have a huge effect on your ball striking which you also mentioned was inconsistent.

I'd head to the range with both sets of clubs and some foot spray or impact decals and see where you are hitting the ball on the face. 

Another possibility is the length of the clubs.  In the never ending search for distance, the Mavrik 7 iron is 3/8" longer than the 850 forged 7 iron so that could be another factor in your ball striking inconsistency.  Again, the range and some foot spray would probably be very telling.

17 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Could be a lot of different things.  As mentioned above, the offset could be a problem or the shafts just may not be right for you. 

Another possibility is the swingweight is just not ideal for you.  You said the Mavriks feel heavy.  Based on the stock specs, the swingweights are about the same 850 vs Mavrik max, but you said the mizunos have XP95 which was lighter than the stock Xp115 meaning the swingweight of your clubs would be lower  than the stock specs.  You've probably also re-gripped since they were new and it's very possible you put on a heavier grip (mid-size or MCC, etc) which would also decrease the swingweight of your old clubs.  The swingweight difference could have a huge effect on your ball striking which you also mentioned was inconsistent.

I'd head to the range with both sets of clubs and some foot spray or impact decals and see where you are hitting the ball on the face. 

Another possibility is the length of the clubs.  In the never ending search for distance, the Mavrik 7 iron is 3/8" longer than the 850 forged 7 iron so that could be another factor in your ball striking inconsistency.  Again, the range and some foot spray would probably be very telling.

Thanks so much for your response. You're right, I did re-grip with midsize grips. It probably is a swingweight issue. I'm going to take your advice and head to the range with some spray powder. 

On 5/17/2021 at 9:32 AM, ChitownM2 said:

Reply back and let us know what you find out in your range session!

Well, I practiced and then played with the Mizunos. They're clearly better for my game. I think it was both the swingweight and the offset of the Mavriks that was hurting my ball striking. I'll probably keep the Mavriks as a back up or see if I can sell them. They're good clubs. They just don't fit my game as well as the JPX 850s. Thanks to all that weighed in on my post.