Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Reducing Driver spin

One of my goals this year is reducing the ball spin off of my driver. AOA is too steep - at my last fitting a few weeks ago, the fitter mentioned I was hitting down on my driver, like i would my irons. Spin rate during that session was between 3600 - 4400. This is obviously having an affect on my carry distance. I have a driver lesson coming up early June, but in the meantime I've been doing some searching and came across this video. I like the exercise of sweeping the ground behind the back foot - about 5 min into the video. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Be careful how you go about this. A negative AoA with a driver often (usually?) results in a low launch angle. Launch angle and spin are closely related in what they do to distance. Yeah, I know the folklore that says: "Lower spin and higher launch for more distance." Well, a key word there is AND! If you have a low launch and you reduce spin without increasing the launch, you will LOSE distance, not gain. You have to do both to increase distance -- really, even just preserve distance.

Think of it this way.

• Launch angle give the ball a higher flight initially. This will keep it in the air longer.
  • Spin keeps the ball in the air longer, because of aerodynamic lift.
  • There is an ideal balance between launch angle and spin. For a given ball speed and launch angle, there is an ideal spin. For a given ball speed and spin, there is an ideal launch angle. Why is speed involved? Because lift varies as the square of speed, so it has to be part of the equation.

What that says is that, if you have a low launch angle, the first thing you need to do is raise the launch angle, not reduce the spin. If you can get a higher launch angle, then too much spin will cause ballooning and reduce distance. But if you have too low a launch angle, you need the spin to keep the ball in the air.

If you're interested in a more rigorous treatment of this, I have written an article which resides on my web site.

12 minutes ago, Rich man said:

Great drill. Place empty ball sleeve 1 grip length ahead of a teed ball. Miss the sleeve. Would also spray the driver face with foot spray to see where you are making contact. 

I'll have to give that a try as well.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

40 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'll have to give that a try as well.

Chris Ryan is good and I like his content and how he goes about explaining things. Stick with his videos and drills

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I went through this last year, I found a simple solution @tony@CIC was to place my head over down where my tee would be placed. Swinging over the head over got me to a positive attack angle. Plus it was more incentive not to mess my head cover up 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

17 hours ago, Dave Tutelman said:

Be careful how you go about this. A negative AoA with a driver often (usually?) results in a low launch angle. Launch angle and spin are closely related in what they do to distance. Yeah, I know the folklore that says: "Lower spin and higher launch for more distance." Well, a key word there is AND! If you have a low launch and you reduce spin without increasing the launch, you will LOSE distance, not gain. You have to do both to increase distance -- really, even just preserve distance.

Think of it this way.

• Launch angle give the ball a higher flight initially. This will keep it in the air longer.
  • Spin keeps the ball in the air longer, because of aerodynamic lift.
  • There is an ideal balance between launch angle and spin. For a given ball speed and launch angle, there is an ideal spin. For a given ball speed and spin, there is an ideal launch angle. Why is speed involved? Because lift varies as the square of speed, so it has to be part of the equation.

What that says is that, if you have a low launch angle, the first thing you need to do is raise the launch angle, not reduce the spin. If you can get a higher launch angle, then too much spin will cause ballooning and reduce distance. But if you have too low a launch angle, you need the spin to keep the ball in the air.

If you're interested in a more rigorous treatment of this, I have written an article which resides on my web site.

Thanks - my issue is high launch angle - on average about 6*

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Just now, tony@CIC said:

Thanks - my issue is high launch angle - on average about 6*

6 degrees sounds low, did you mean 16 by chance. Either way good luck with the changes as it does seem like hitting up on the ball will help get better launch conditions and help get distance without having to swing any faster. Personally I find tilting the shoulders at set up gets me in a good place for impact, but find whatever works best for you.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

One small thing that helped my spin and AoA was changing my club placement in relation to ball position. I used to setup with the ball off my front toe and the club right behind the ball. I recently switched to a setup where the ball is in the same location, but I rest my club one club-heads length back from the ball (~3 inches).  I focus on the location of the club face as if that was the point of contact. This brought the lower apex of my swing arc behind the ball and my AoA increased significantly. 

I only use this method with the driver. 

• :taylormade-small: R9 | Oban Revenge
  • :taylormade-small: '08 Burner 3-Wood
  • :mizuno-small: CLK-Fli Hi 
  • :mizuno-small: MP-60 3-PW | KBS 
  • :titelist-small: '09 Vokey 52, 56, 60
  • :scotty-cameron-1:  Studio Design 5

While I like that drill in the video I think you could benefit quicker from adjusting your set up by having your trail shoulder (right if righty) lower than your front shoulder by about 6", tee the ball extra high when practicing. This will help with the angle of attack to the positive and ball contact center or high on the face which will lower spin to a more manageable number.  After you get that moving in the right direction I think you can delve into more complex drills. Good luck.

I've got the same issue.  I recently came across the below channel and have really enjoyed some of the content I've watched so far.  I'm trying my best to really stay behind the ball all the way through impact and feel like I'm getting the driver lower earlier on the downswing so that I can hit up on it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClOp9ASmFYATO1zFfpB7QlA

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"