2-3 Day Golf School?

5 hours ago, Headhammer said:

What I know about the golf swing could fit on the head of pin, but I'm surprised the solution was to lengthen your swing. I'm in your age bracket and the last lesson I had the instructor said with my age, and normal reduction in flexibility, the goal is not to make the swing longer, but more efficient. We worked a lot on hand position at takeaway and weight shift which produced increased yardage without trying to do things that are tough on an older body. YMMV.

Proper hip turn is what causes many to not get a bigger turn. George Gankas has some videos on his YouTube and Instagram showing older golfers (70 year olds) who came to him and said they couldn’t make a bigger turn. He showed them how to turn properly and they all were able to do it. 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Proper hip turn is what causes many to not get a bigger turn. George Gankas has some videos on his YouTube and Instagram showing older golfers (70 year olds) who came to him and said they couldn’t make a bigger turn. He showed them how to turn properly and they all were able to do it. 

I fit in that category.  I am "able" to do it, but when I try to hit a ball, I "can't" do it.  Even Monte can't get me to do it enough.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I fit in that category.  I am "able" to do it, but when I try to hit a ball, I "can't" do it.  Even Monte can't get me to do it enough.

We all have limitations on how much hip turn we can make, same with shoulder turn. Most amateurs don’t then properly and that limits them even more. Watching Monte and several other instructors a lot of the amateur golfers try to restrict their hip turn especially anyone who took up golf in the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Add in most of us have terrible hip mobility, I found out how bad mine is this past weekend at a seminar for loaded movements. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

We all have limitations on how much hip turn we can make, same with shoulder turn. Most amateurs don’t then properly and that limits them even more. Watching Monte and several other instructors a lot of the amateur golfers try to restrict their hip turn especially anyone who took up golf in the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Add in most of us have terrible hip mobility, I found out how bad mine is this past weekend at a seminar for loaded movements. 

psoas

• Sad 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, Golf2Much said:

Hi all,

I'd like to see if I can tap the collective golf intelligence of this group and solicit opinions on going to a 2-3 day golf school.  One of my playing partners and I were talking about signing up for a multiple day South Florida golf camp.  We both live in Key West, are over 65, have 12 handicaps (even though we get there differently) and have no real access to practice facilities at the end of US1. 

My playing partner has always wanted to go to an adult training camp and I thought it would be worthwhile as it's been 20 plus years since my last lesson.  I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on their experience in these types of golf training schools, did they find it helpful and would they do it again.

Thank you in advance!  

Highly recommend the Stack & Tilt camp at the JW Marriott in Aventura FL.  2:1 student teacher ratio.  Very educational.  

https://stackandtilt.com/events/stack-tilt-camp-usa-miami-3/

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Many years ago I did a three day school which also offered one day and one week options.  We did half day lessons, drills, range, etc and then played in the afternoon.  We found that if you are not used to hitting hundreds of balls every day you will get blisters, sores on your hands and may even wake up at night with cramps in forearms, etc.  It is very different from what most people do everyday playing golf.  Was very glad we did not do the full week session.  If you sign up for a multi day school suggest you prepare ahead by hitting lots of balls and training yourself to take the stress and strain on your body.  Otherwise you will not get the most out of the experience.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golfnut0226 said:

and a friend of mine went to one a few years back in South Carolina.  He became a professional head case after he got back.  Struggled to even shoot what he did before he went.

Not supposed to.  People go to a golf school to identify what their issues are and what changes they need to make.  Changes don't happen overnight.  Depending on the player's ability when they go, it could take weeks or months to make the change and that's assuming that they put the time in on their drills and got periodic feedback from their instructor to see if they were on the right track.  People think that they should be able to play better immediately, when in actuality they will play worse until the new movements become their new normal.  How many times have we heard Tiger say when he was going through his many swing changes... "it's a process".

• Like 3

I live in the Las Vegas area--not known for great golf schools.  John Jacobs school was at Royal Links Golf Club which closed in December 2021.  I do not think they have a location to have an instructor come in a teach at the present time.  Butch Harmon has his golf school at Rio Secco golf club and it is a great location and very good school.  Morning working on Mechanics, afternoons golf.  Very good instructors and Butch will show up now and then.  They like to keep the ration 3 or 4 to 1 instructor.  The instructors play 9 holes with you in the PM and then you are on your own for the back 9.  

Reflection Bay has Craig Barlow as a teacher (former PGA pro) and some assistant instructors as well.  Bear's Best has a gentleman who runs his own school and they three of the pro shop personnel are very good instructors.  Ryan Mills runs a golf school out of Revere golf club but they do not have teaching pros at the course.  Chimera golf club uses a mobile app to hook you up to Trackman and it will measure each club and flight of your shots.  You can get instruction there from two people.

I have also been to several other locations in the Vegas area and many courses have very good one on one instructors if you want to spend some time and money.  

Titleist TS 1 Driver Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 16.5 degree 3 wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 18 degree 5 Wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titliest TS2--21 degree Hybrid stiff light weight graphite shafts

Titliest T200 regular multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat 5 thru gap wedge

Titliest Volkey wedges 54 and 58 stiff multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Trillium Te3 32" putter

On 5/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, Golf2Much said:

Hi all,

I'd like to see if I can tap the collective golf intelligence of this group and solicit opinions on going to a 2-3 day golf school.  One of my playing partners and I were talking about signing up for a multiple day South Florida golf camp.  We both live in Key West, are over 65, have 12 handicaps (even though we get there differently) and have no real access to practice facilities at the end of US1. 

My playing partner has always wanted to go to an adult training camp and I thought it would be worthwhile as it's been 20 plus years since my last lesson.  I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on their experience in these types of golf training schools, did they find it helpful and would they do it again.

Thank you in advance!  

I found a 3 day golf school with Andrew Rice very beneficial.  This was my second time with him in 6 years.

• Like 1

Hey everyone!   Sorry for just finding this thread, but I wanted to share the official review I did a few years ago of the Tour Striker Academy.  This was a 3 day golf school lead by Martin Chuck and this experience I can honestly say changed my game completely!  In 4 seasons, I've gone from being easily an 18 handicap to playing as an 8 handicap at one course at the end of the season last year.  I'm hoping to be single digits at all courses this season.  I can't say enough how much this experience helped me!  If you're looking to do a 2-3 school, please make sure this one is on your list!!

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

My brother and I went to a 7 day golf school located at Orange County National 15+ years ago.  It was pretty awesome and it was just my brother and I so similar setup as others said - swing evaluation in the morning, instructional correction,  and a playing lesson on the 9 hole course before lunch. We worked on all aspects of the game - from green to tee and everything in between. If you've been to Orange County National, you know it's big circular ring where they hold the PGA Show Equipment Demo every year.  It was awsome!  Our instructor would also get us on either on Crooked Cat or Panther Lake in the afternoon (even though it wasn't included in the package) for free.  He would ride with us for 6 holes asking us what club we were using, why we decided to pull that club, and really make us think about the shot we wanted to try to hit.  After 6 holes he would leave and most of the time we had the course to ourselves.  It was a great experience!  I don't think that golf school is in business anymore (Paradise Academy Golf) but there's still a golf school there.  

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Stars

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, Kenny B said:

Not supposed to.  People go to a golf school to identify what their issues are and what changes they need to make.  Changes don't happen overnight.  Depending on the player's ability when they go, it could take weeks or months to make the change and that's assuming that they put the time in on their drills and got periodic feedback from their instructor to see if they were on the right track.  People think that they should be able to play better immediately, when in actuality they will play worse until the new movements become their new normal.  How many times have we heard Tiger say when he was going through his many swing changes... "it's a process".

He is a really analitcal guy and became a walking head case trying to absorb it all and make it work

Edited by Golfnut0226
  • Like 1