Why is my 5 wood going as far as my 3 wood?

Over the last 8 years I have probably had a dozen different fairway woods in and out of my bag.  Currently testing 3 new ones now.

My issue is that my swing path is generally fairly steep and I swing in to out with a negative attack angle due to delofting my club at set-up and at impact.  Consequently I hit the ball low and with a draw.  Great for iron play, not so good with woods.

What I’ve found for me that is working is more loft.  Added a 21 degree 7 wood to the bag and it has been a huge help from the fairway.  It is my 215 yard club.

My current 16.5 degree 4 wood has worked well off the tee but has a tendency to hook.  I just don’t have confidence with it from the fairway.  

I’m currently experimenting with another 4 wood and two five woods.

The 4 wood that I‘m testing, love the way it feels, looks and sounds.  I got a slightly softer shaft in it hoping it would provide more launch.  It launches higher alright, but it also hooks a lot more because the tip is not as stiff and the shaft has a higher torque.  Ordered a new shaft to see if I can tame the hook.

One of the 5 woods I’m testing has a stiffer and heavier shaft in it and it feels like a lot of work to swing it.  The other 5 wood has adjustable loft from 17-21 Deg. And also has a heavier shaft.  It may be the Goldilocks.  Super long off the tee, almost as long as my driver and just a slight draw.  Still need to spend some time on fairway shots, but it is promising.  The problem is that I don’t really like the way it looks, and it sounds weird to me.

Also trying out a 4 utility iron.  Super hot face, launches low bullets that run like a scalded dog, but oddly satisfying.  Probably a club to keep, but not use much unless it is very dry and firm or very windy.

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Taylormade SIM Ti - 19 lofted down to 17

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Tour Edge C721 - 25

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades

Corey Paul Functional Art 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX

20 minutes ago, Hoyoymac said:

Over the last 8 years I have probably had a dozen different fairway woods in and out of my bag.  Currently testing 3 new ones now.

My issue is that my swing path is generally fairly steep and I swing in to out with a negative attack angle due to delofting my club at set-up and at impact.  Consequently I hit the ball low and with a draw.  Great for iron play, not so good with woods.

What I’ve found for me that is working is more loft.  Added a 21 degree 7 wood to the bag and it has been a huge help from the fairway.  It is my 215 yard club.

I actually just posted in the equipment thread about this topic, I also use a 21* Heavenwood as my "fairway wood" and it's been my favorite club for a few years now due to how easy it is to launch. My 3w is currently lofted up to make it a 4w and I exclusively use it off the tee when the driver is misbehaving. Which is often. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

On 5/18/2021 at 3:19 AM, Lgebbers said:

Guys, it is a real relief to hear that. I was doubting my ability a bit or thought my settings are all wrong.
But hearing how many of you are struggling with the 3 wood is encouraging.

Also in regards to the driver, it is a very good point that you can always adjust the setting and "grow" with the driver.
I always thought to go secondhand and buy an old driver just to learn the swing and get used to it.
However, listening to you guys a driver fitting might make sense even at my level.

Sometimes you have to adjust and get used to a new driver. I have been experimenting with a M-6 the last couple of months. I ended up with that thing on a deal. Liked it to begin with when I did hit it but was not consistant. I had no confidence in it at all. Did a lot of experimenting and finally got it set and it is crazy. Got it set to 9* and about 6 grams of lead tape right in the back. Set it up weight wise just like my V-Steel Fairways. LOL tons of experimenting on my part as in trying to dial it in and getting my body back in shape again. Got to hitting it so good I also put my old V-Steel 7 wood in the bag and then found in my stash an old V-Steel 3 wood with a regular shaft that I flat crush. Yep I have been blessed in the fact I can build and fit my own clubs.

• Like 1

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Lots of familiar tales here. My current fairway woods are a 5&7 ping G400 with stiff shafts the 7 is at 21 degrees - the same loft as my first 5 wood 30+ years ago. The 5 wood is cranked down to 16 degrees about what my original 3 woods were. I can still reach the short par 5’s in 2 and can hit the 5 wood about 250 off the tee 240 of the deck.  To gain 10 yards with a 3 wood I’ll snap hook it out of play about every 4th or 5th swing. - not worth it too hard to hit straight & screaming low hooks really aren’t the best shots for me.

• Like 1

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

• 2 weeks later...

For a lot of players, the 3 wood is dead. Slower players aren't going to have the swing speed needed to optimize the launch conditions of the club, and its incredibly common to hit a 4 wood or 5 wood farther. And of course those clubs with have more control with shorter shafts and more backspin and hence less side spin. On the other side of the spectrum, alot of fast players can hit the 3 wood near driver distances, which can make it impractical to carry in the bag. Or they hit it so far, that is rarely comes up and a needed shot on a par 5, when a hybrid or 5 wood could be used to hit a softer shot into a green. Either way, do not feel like you have to carry a 3 wood just to check the boxes.

@Lgebbers, what you learned about your 3W/5W is applicable to the driver. It's probably not the case that a 8 or 9 degree driver would go further for you than a 10.5, 11, or maybe even a 12 degree driver. More loft will almost always help you hit it straighter, and more height may give you more distance depending on your swing speed. Its likely that a driver with a longer shaft will be harder to control as well. 

EDEL SMS WEDGE TESTER

• Driver: :ping-small: G400 MAX
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: F7 Hybrid AD DI 95s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter:   :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2 ball