TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Spec Recommendations for Wife Beginner

pozzit

Beginning this year my wife has wanted to get a little more exercise as she is fed up of being stuck indoors with the pandemic, especially being cautious being pregnant. She "persuaded" me to take a walk on the course. So she stated swinging from the Junior tees (150yrd or less) and has been enjoying it so far and plans to continue after she gives birth. As of right now she has been using my old clubs that are more game improvement but I know are not to the specs she needs. Is there any Shaft recommendations for driver (Ping G30 head she has enjoyed but the X-flex isn't ideal) 

I was curious if anyone had any recommendations of I likely wont buy her any clubs or reshaft anything until after she gives birth since nothing "fits" her now lol and very much is limited in her "core" movement. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Check out The Golfworks women's sets.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My better half just picked up golf after kids are done with higher education and now the retirement is not that far away.

I had started her with clubs designated for women.  Ping and TaylorMade.  And also Callaway senior irons.  surprisingly, her best was with MacGregor Mid 2 irons with men's regular graphite shaft.  The Mid 2 has less offset in the hosel, thinner topline and the regular graphite in patterned triple flex is stiffer than the L or the A flex in other irons.

She just started last month on the driving range.  I had her hitting 8 iron from a very short rubber tee off the mat ( 1/4" off the top of the mat ).  So far so good, her 8 iron average carrying 100 yards.  Which is very good for a petite female.  

I will graduate her to hitting off the mat next month and then move on to the other irons in the bag before going to the longer clubs .  Hopefully, by the end of this Summer, she'd be fine playing the par-3 and the executive courses.

My point is, never know until someone actually hit the different set up to know which one will be the favorite and also the one produces the best result.  with your wife's pregnancy, the newborn on the way.... she won't be able to dedicate much time to golf right away.  

As for swinging the golf club..... many LPGA and armature golfers played through their pregnancy.   It should not be an issue but, always check with her Doctor first and as always the first and the last trimesters should be resting more.

I would not be worried whether the golf clubs would "fit" her  ( obviously the X flex from your old club will not work ).  You can stick a regular flex graphite shaft in to fill the temporary need.  Swinging a driver during pregnancy is probably not a smart move.  She could definitely walk with you on the golf course.  While keeping social distancing, take a cart just so that she could ride when she's tired.  You'll need to be in your best form of being a husband during the time she's having the ups and downs from hormone changes during the pregnancy.  

Congratulation and embrace all that's coming your way.     

I bought my wife a cheap starter set from Amazon for $200 it’s got driver, hybrid 6,7,8,9,PW and putter and a bag.

they aren’t great clubs but it’s something to get her started and if she really likes it you can upgrade later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QDL5J6D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WXQFHS1XANKCDS89A5R4

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

It depends how serious about golf and how athletic she is.

My wife started with women's flex, then transitioned to senior flex (yes yes I know, flex is not standardized), but just to give you an idea her 7i was about 110-120 yards?

Then she had 2 kids, became less flexible, less muscle and back to women's flex 😄

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Mine started out with Idea women's set then graduated to Ping's Rhapsody which is also women's. Last year the fitter (first time fitting) put her into a Ping Plus driver with SR flex shaft. the rest of her bag is similar in shaft flex. Note she's 74 and has only been playing for a few years. So you don't have to immediately gravitate to women's clubs. I'd try a used set at 2nd Swing that is oriented to a Senior flex and see how she does with it. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 months later...

My wife started to get serious about the game this spring and we bought the Ping Le2’s from 2nd Swing and she is very happy with them. Finding good clubs especially women’s quality clubs is tough. Big box stores want to push package sets. Was appalled by the responses we got trying to buy quality clubs for her! She had been using a set of Foxbat irons and the improvement was terrific. She is 5 feet petite and we cut the clubs an inch, Callaway RazerX driver is 43 inches. After a couple of lessons at GOLFTEC she is hitting the 5 hybrid 130 so not bad. We have been playing an executive course about every day and she pared a par 4 - on the green in regulation! Her goal starting out was to not miss the ball. 

Driver :ping-small: G400 SFT 9

3 Wood :ping-small: G400

4 Hybrid :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

Irons :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 5-AW

Wedges :vokey-small: 254/10, 260/12

Putter :ping-small: Anser 2 Cadence

Ball :taylormade-small:Tour Response

Bag Stitch SL2, :Arccos: