Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Are Your Goals For Your Game This Year?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

I think many golfers that want to improve don't tackle it like they should. I think by writing down some goals is a great idea to keep your mind on the task at hand. Just like a project for work. Sometimes we just go play and expect to get better the more we play. Although I think we need to look at our strengths and weaknesses and see where we need to spend the most time to get the maximum out of our game.

There is a reason when we did a poll of golfers who practice on the putting green more then the range that their handicaps were much lower.

So.....

What goals are you going to set for your game this year?

#TruthDigest

For me, I really need to avoid the "blow-up hole." Actually, you can make that plural. :D

I can still score in the low 90s with these minor disasters, but I'm still kicking myself when I look back at all those strokes I wasted.

Master the short game. Get in the 70s. Make the college team.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

More consistent iron play. Ugly ball flight every time, fine. If I can trust the ugly, I can aim accordingly. Even a slight boost in GIRs would knock many strokes off for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

My main goals are this:

1. Better consistency off the tee. Try to avoid those few stray drives.

2. More GIR's.

3. Not always make the gutsy shot, choose the more appropriate play.

Those three things alone will help me tremendously.

Consistent Ball Striking..my number one goal. Just hitting solid contact on every shot, the rest will fall in line!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I was just listening to a podcast today that said the same thing... If you really want to improve your game, you should WRITE DOWN all of your goals... This got me thinking and I realized I say I want to get better, but I never tell myself HOW I'm going to do it...

My goal I originally set for myself was to break 90 on a consistant basis, but I never thought about how I was going to do it...

1. Hit 75% of my drives in the fairway or within 5 yards of the fairway

2. Reduce the number of 3 putts

3. Do #3 by working on my short irons in order to get the ball not only on the green, but closer to the pin

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

My big goal is to break 80, start keeping a handicap, and get it below 10. How will I accomplish this:

1) Stop incurring penalty strokes off the tee. Put the ball in play.

2) Increased GIRs by being selectively aggressive with pins and aiming more at the center of greens.

3) No more 3 putts.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

1) have fun on the golf course

2) be less results oriented

3) clearer focus before hitting each shot, then accepting the end result

4) spend more time practicing shots 90 yards and in than I do from 150 out.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm going to take lessons this year, practice my arse off, and play smarter golf to see if I can get down to a single digit handicap by the end of the summer. By playing smarter golf, I mean the following:

1) Be more strategic when hitting in greens. Be conscious of what a good miss would be and play for the center when the pins are tucked.

2) Keep the ball on the ground as much as I can around the greens when the conditions allow. Use my putter more when I have the option.

3) Play to yardages more and not just hammer balls as far as I can hit them on long par 4's and 5's.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

One other goal: to figure out how I will make golf a regular part of my life. Last summer, I lived walking distance (a little less than a mile with nice wide sidewalks/walking trails) from a very nice course that I walked to almost every day to chip and putt. That was heaven for me. Now I've moved into a house and we have courses nearby, but nothing to walk to. For me, that's a big difference in terms of gathering the "umph" to go (I love walking, could live without driving). I did get some BirdieBalls over the winter and I'm hoping that those will be good for chipping around the backyard and the park. I also hope to be able to play more rounds with friends and family. I've played a lot of solo golf the past few seasons which is nice in its own right, but I'd like more balance.

One other goal: to figure out how I will make golf a regular part of my life. Last summer, I lived walking distance (a little less than a mile with nice wide sidewalks/walking trails) from a very nice course that I walked to almost every day to chip and putt. That was heaven for me. Now I've moved into a house and we have courses nearby, but nothing to walk to. For me, that's a big difference in terms of gathering the "umph" to go (I love walking, could live without driving). I did get some BirdieBalls over the winter and I'm hoping that those will be good for chipping around the backyard and the park. I also hope to be able to play more rounds with friends and family. I've played a lot of solo golf the past few seasons which is nice in its own right, but I'd like more balance.

We should tee it up at least a couple of times this year bro. You and I live within twenty minutes of each other. B)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

We should tee it up at least a couple of times this year bro. You and I live within twenty minutes of each other. B)

Sounds like a plan. There are a couple other guys who I've "met" online from the area, maybe we can get a whole foursome together for "I know you, but I've never met you" golf.

Sounds like a plan. There are a couple other guys who I've "met" online from the area, maybe we can get a whole foursome together for "I know you, but I've never met you" golf.

sounds like "fun" :lol:

If you EVER get out west, message me. I can hook up some really sweet golf out here.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

There are several golf bloggers in this area. Dave Hilgart from Beaver Golf lives somewhere in the burbs and based on conversations we've had he sounds like a really good guy. Stephen Keeler is another. Rob Hayashida, who runs Sandbox8 is also in the area although he lives downtown.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

sounds like "fun" :P

If you EVER get out west, message me. I can hook up some really sweet golf out here.

A really good friend from college is wanting me to fly out to Cali sometime this summer, drive the coast with him and play our way up to your neck of the woods. If that comes together, then I might take you up on that offer! :lol:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

A really good friend from college is wanting me to fly out to Cali sometime this summer, drive the coast with him and play our way up to your neck of the woods. If that comes together, then I might take you up on that offer! :lol:

DO IT!!!! I know some sweet places to play....

Do it, before you get married, have kids, and don't have the time. You will regret it forever if you take advatage of the trip now!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

There are several golf bloggers in this area. Dave Hilgart from Beaver Golf lives somewhere in the burbs and based on conversations we've had he sounds like a really good guy. Stephen Keeler is another. Rob Hayashida, who runs Sandbox8 is also in the area although he lives downtown.

Man, there sure are a lot of golf blogs out there, I guess I'm just more of a forum guy. That sounds good though. Seems like we could get up to 8 without trying too hard.

• SPY VIP

A really good friend from college is wanting me to fly out to Cali sometime this summer, drive the coast with him and play our way up to your neck of the woods. If that comes together, then I might take you up on that offer! :P

I'll slip out for a NorCal meet-up. Do it soon though or my time on the course may be as a caddy.

Volvo Intorqueo

How about Southern Oregon???? Halfway??

How about the east Coast, Myrtle Beach, I have a trip going down or up, or across, where ever you live, June 23rd and leave June 27th. Four nights, 4 rounds, 318.00 per person.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I'm the same way... I like the forums a lot better because I like to be able to ask questions and get immediate responses... I visit the blogs, but not nearly as often.. usually once a week is enough to get caught up on everything...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

My goal has been the same for the last 3-4 yrs:

- get my tee ball more consistent

- eliminate those 2-3 bad swings in each round that lead to those extra 6-8 strokes on my score. (I've do things like shoot a 79 with a triple bogey 7 on my card....or worse, shoot 85 with a 12 on a par 5 -- things like that)

• SPY VIP

My goal has been the same for the last 3-4 yrs:

- get my tee ball more consistent

- eliminate those 2-3 bad swings in each round that lead to those extra 6-8 strokes on my score. (I've do things like shoot a 79 with a triple bogey 7 on my card....or worse, shoot 85 with a 12 on a par 5 -- things like that)

That is rough. Granted I would welcome either score at this point, but those holes would haunt me too for a long time...

Good luck!

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived