TESTERS WANTED! ×

What’s a “small+” hosel?

MFSOT

I just got fitted for a new bag, I noticed that the order was put in with “small+“ hosels on all my graphite shafted clubs - D, 3w, 19, 22 looking for info, like why would someone be put into a small hosel, and what does the + denote? 

Thanks all.

Assuming these are ping the small + is plus 1* from stated loft

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Agree likely the setting for the adapter so they can line up the grip and shaft to that settings so it will line up at your standard setting.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Ping and PXG both use small and large plus on their adapters and as others indicated it denotes the setting you were fit into so that the club builder knows where to align the graphics on the shaft.  

Pretty much all manufacturers set up their clubs such that the view of the shaft from address is completely "clean" and free of any graphics, names, etc.  If you're buying off the rack, the shafts are glued to the adapter such that everything is face down in the "stock" setting which means that if you were to need a loft adjustment such as yourself, the graphics would be at a weird angle where they would be partially visible to you at address.  

On 5/17/2021 at 9:25 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Ping and PXG both use small and large plus on their adapters and as others indicated it denotes the setting you were fit into so that the club builder knows where to align the graphics on the shaft.  

Was a PXG fitting/order. Alright let me see if what I gather from these replies is correct: Since my irons ended up at +1, the “small +” represents that, if it were a regular + or a large + that would be 2 and 3+ respectively (this may not line up with the manufacturers actual numbers, but the general idea)? And the ‘small’ doesn’t have anything to do with the actual size of the hosel?

1 hour ago, MFSOT said:

Was a PXG fitting/order. Alright let me see if what I gather from these replies is correct: Since my irons ended up at +1, the “small +” represents that, if it were a regular + or a large + that would be 2 and 3+ respectively (this may not line up with the manufacturers actual numbers, but the general idea)? And the ‘small’ doesn’t have anything to do with the actual size of the hosel?

What is +1 on your irons? The loft, lie or length?

the small + is a plus one on loft. So a 10* driver becomes 11* and changes the lie angle by 1/2* flatter

The big + is 1.5* and changes the lie angle by 1* flatter

the minus work the opposite way

The PXG logo keeps the standard loft but makes the lie angle 3* flatter

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What is +1 on your irons? The loft, lie or length?

the small + is a plus one on loft. So a 10* driver becomes 11* and changes the lie angle by 1/2* flatter

The big + is 1.5* and changes the lie angle by 1* flatter

the minus work the opposite way

The PXG logo keeps the standard loft but makes the lie angle 3* flatter

Irons are +3/4" length and +1 lie

28 minutes ago, MFSOT said:

Irons are +3/4" length and +1 lie

Ok. Neither of those directly related to the + or - markings on the driver, wood and hybrid 

32 minutes ago, MFSOT said:

Ok so this is just loft then

Correct. But loft will have an effect on the lie angle as mentioned in my reply and also as you change loft it also affects the face angle. As you decrease loft it closes the face and vice versa when loft is added. 

@RickyBobby_PR is correct. 

For whatever reason PXG decided to make their adapters adjust all 3 attributes simultaneously.  I don't understand the logic in doing that as it leads to a change to a flat lie angle as soon as you move off of "standard" loft up to the point of ending up with a 3° flat setting on the side opposite of standard.  Ping uses a single piece adapter and you can adjust loft/face angle while maintaining a neutral lie or they allow for up to 3° flat with no loft adjustment (I presume the flat lie angles with loft adjustment are somewhere between neutral and 1.5).  My guess is that even though Ping says the lie angle remains neutral, they are probably adjusting it flatter and just not saying so.  The TM adapter works the same way, just with more adjustment stops along the way.  It seems that all 1 piece adapters work this way with the exception of Mizuno which operates on the same concept but moves everything upright instead of flat.  

Titleist has a 2 piece adapter and allows you to go from 1.5 upright to 0.75 flat with any combination of loft adjustment you want within their range which seems like the best way to do it.  

On 5/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, MFSOT said:

Here is the PXG hosel chart.  The small + is plus one degree in loft and half a degree flat from standard lie angle.

OIP.jpg

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Would be helpful if the brand of club was noted or pictures posted.  Taylormade woods have a + symbol stamped on their tour issue clubs.  I have tour issue driver, 3 and 5 woods.  I went this route because I could fit into specific lie angles, face angles and standard setting lofts that benefit me much better than off the rack woods.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

10 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Would be helpful if the brand of club was noted or pictures posted.  Taylormade woods have a + symbol stamped on their tour issue clubs.  I have tour issue driver, 3 and 5 woods.  I went this route because I could fit into specific lie angles, face angles and standard setting lofts that benefit me much better than off the rack woods.

The op already said it was PXG and myself along with the post right before yours explained the pxg settings 

On 5/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Correct. But loft will have an effect on the lie angle as mentioned in my reply and also as you change loft it also affects the face angle. As you decrease loft it closes the face and vice versa when loft is added. 

I always thought it was the other way....increase loft and it closes the face slightly, decrease loft and it opens the face slightly.  Have I been wrong?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

24 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I always thought it was the other way....increase loft and it closes the face slightly, decrease loft and it opens the face slightly.  Have I been wrong?

You are correct. Brain saying one thing and fingers typing another 😀

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The op already said it was PXG and myself along with the post right before yours explained the pxg settings 

I see.  I just went off the first post and didn't read on.  Sorry.  Carry on!  🙂

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on