TESTERS WANTED! ×

North Myrtle Beach In October

We have been going to Hilton Head in early October for the past several years, but this year we are going to North Myrtle Beach the first week of October.

I have played many of the top courses on the South end: Caledonia, True Blue, Heritage, TPC and several others. Looking for a few good courses on the North side.

The group will be myself 18 handicap, my son a 12, and my wife a 25. Looking for fun, scenic, and playable for golfers of our abilities.

We are thinking of playing World Tour for the experience realizing we might throw up some big numbers. I have played a couple of replica courses in Dallas-Tour 18 and The Tribute and they were a fun experience. Outside of that, we are pretty flexible.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time

:callaway-small: Mavrik 9 Degree

image.png.ee19b0f17da7a45faaa30e114f86e3c9.png  Mavrik 4 Wood

image.png.cdd20ffc100c65049392af87e0ae3e49.png  Mavrik 3 Hybrid

image.png.5e6ae6d961fc0d5a2a4e5185f0e0c918.png  Mavrik 4 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: CBX 52 Degree

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole S

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5

I'm probably there at least once a year and typically stay in the North Myrtle Beach area. Actually will be there in July to play some golf. A few of the places I would consider are the following:

Pine Lakes (AKA the Grand Daddy), Thistle, Long Bay, Sandpiper Bay, World Tour (expect a high score there, all famous holes) and Shaftsbury Glen has a Bethpage design feel to it. If you are looking for something that might be on the easier side Myrtlewood has two courses. I plan on playing one of the Myrtlewood courses in July for my warm up course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

World Tour is a must just for the experience, your score will suffer but it’s the experience of playing the famous holes that count. Pine Lakes is great, Myrtlewood is a more player friendly course and recently went through a renovation, I like the Palmetto course better than the Pine Hills course there.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Thistle is a MUST. Highly recommend it. Any of the Cat Courses are pretty nice as well. Seem to always be in good shape.

TigerPill

Driver :   image.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max 10.5 Degrees

3 Wood/5 woodimage.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max

19 Degree Hybrid:image.png.5d38f343d0caf1092558753dc83992bd.png G425 

5-LW:   image.png.ddef8ede1026d2294f93865dffbbdf18.png  ZX5, Recoil 760/F3, GW, SW, LW - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putterimage.png.84b4d7270ae3f7c5fdd6efd713fa767d.png  Tri-Hot 5k Seven 

It's been many years since I was there, but the cat courses are nice.  I'll also mention Oyster Bay... bring several balls!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have played most of the courses in North Myrtle Beach.  Tidewater, Grande Dunes, Tigers Eye, and World Tour would be my picks.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

We have a place at Barefoot Resort in NMB. We belong to the Dye course but also play the Norman, Love and Fazio courses with our friends. You can’t go wrong with most of the courses in the area from NMB to Merrill’s Inlet and some of the courses in North Carolina. If you love golf, the greater Myrtle Beach area is the best. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I've been going to Myrtle Beach in October for about 5 years.( except 2020). The Barefoot resort has 5 great courses and there are nice condo to stay in as well . I also really like Myrtle Beach National Kings north course.

I've played the south end courses you mentioned and love them all.

We go for the Family Golf Week tournament every year and vacationed there quite a bit when I was younger. We typically stay at my dad's condo right across from Barefoot Landing, but tend to play all over the place. A few courses I'd highlight on the northern end: 

River's Edge: it's a hike to the north, but an old favorite Arnie Design. It's mostly playable for that crew, but a few holes could eat you up (like the par 5 9th - not a tough tee shot but both the layup and approach are brutal). 

Thistle: I don't remember difficulty here (didn't think it was too bad), but I played it for the first time two years ago and was very impressed. They have 27 there, so there are a few ways to split it up. 

Barefoot: Been a few years since we played any of them, but you'd probably enjoy any of them. 

Long Bay: Been a while, but I remember enjoying this one. 

Ocean Ridge (The Big Cats): I remember liking Tiger's Eye the best, but I think I'm biased because that was the hot new course back when I was in high school. Played Leopard's Chase most recently, which was also very nice. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I've been playing in the Myrtle Beach World Am every August since 2012

Here are some suggestions...

Like a couple of people mentioned, Myrtlewood is a good place to start...Unless something has changed drastically in the past year, stay away from the Big Cats...they were having severe financial problems and last year players were losing balls in the fairways and chipping on the greens to get the ball to the hole...

some other courses to consider for your handicaps: Crow Creek, Farmstead, River Hills

some nicer courses: Kings North, Long Bay, Grande Dunes, Glen Dornoch

other courses I like but are off US 501 (main drag going into Myrtle, pretty heavy traffic) Wild Wing, The Wizard, The Witch

some other easier North Myrtle courses but not as nice: Beechwood, Possum Trot, Eagles Nest

plenty of choices, wide variety, have fun   

driver-sim 2

3wood-ping 425

3 hybrid-ping 425

irons- mizuno 825 4-pw

gap- Titleist 50'

sand- ping glide 54'

putter- ping anser 2 

I should also say if you don't mind driving just a tad, the Legends courses and TPC Myrtle Beach are worth the effort and they won't eat your lunch too bad if you play from the more forward tees...there are some forced carries though but the courses are fun to play..

the drive isn't too bad since they have mostly finished a better by-pass system from north to south

driver-sim 2

3wood-ping 425

3 hybrid-ping 425

irons- mizuno 825 4-pw

gap- Titleist 50'

sand- ping glide 54'

putter- ping anser 2 

It's seems the courses I played years ago are still favorites. Tidewater, Glen Dornoch, Aberdeen, Thistle, Pearl (East Course), Carolina National and Arrowhead are some of my favorites. Have a great time.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

3 hours ago, Scotty113 said:

Unless something has changed drastically in the past year, stay away from the Big Cats...they were having severe financial problems and last year players were losing balls in the fairways and chipping on the greens to get the ball to the hole...

That's too bad - my dad told me something about damage to the homes in that area recently (tornado?), but I didn't realize it had that big of an impact on the golf courses. Hopefully they find a way to get them back in shape. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from North Myrtle Beach.  Day one played Barefoot Fazio.  Just wasn't impressed, each hole looked like the last.  I wasn't playing well, so that may factor into it, but the only hole i can remember was the 18th.  Day two played Barefoot Dye and loved the course.   Dye is set apart from the other 3 barefoot courses and there are many wonderful holes.  I loved a par 3 on the front with water along the right,,,,,,even though i rinsed 2......hey it was windy.   great hole.  By the way I played at 2 both days, and the courses were empty.  At Dye I played as a single  so  played  my driver from the black tees and three wood from the white tees.   Day 3 i played Arrowhead which is near the airport and has 3 nines.  The Myrtle Pros rated this course pretty high and i agree.   I like target golf as opposed to grip it and rip it and Arrowhead was all about target, working your way around lakes and bunkers.  The bunkers were in great shape sand nice and fluffy, better than the barefoot courses.  I made 2 sandies. 

by the way for meals, I highly recommend the Parsonage and Villa Tuscana both right on Route 17.

Going this October, playing Thistle, River's Edge, Tidewater and Crow Creek. Pretty dern good lineup and I have played them all before, but never so late in the season.

As of last year, stay away from the Big Cat's, they were having management problems, had one grounds crew for all the courses and they were just terrible. Hope they improve the conditions, they used to be a must play.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

On 5/17/2021 at 9:00 PM, Iowa Hacker said:

We have been going to Hilton Head in early October for the past several years, but this year we are going to North Myrtle Beach the first week of October.

I have played many of the top courses on the South end: Caledonia, True Blue, Heritage, TPC and several others. Looking for a few good courses on the North side.

The group will be myself 18 handicap, my son a 12, and my wife a 25. Looking for fun, scenic, and playable for golfers of our abilities.

We are thinking of playing World Tour for the experience realizing we might throw up some big numbers. I have played a couple of replica courses in Dallas-Tour 18 and The Tribute and they were a fun experience. Outside of that, we are pretty flexible.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time

I was just in North Myrtle, in April. Rivers Edge is very picturesque, its not terribly long, and you can play up makes it much more manageable depending on skill.  Of the others listed I have played Crow Creek, Farmstead, and Meadowlands are pretty open and what I would call player friendly. The only caution I would give you is to not play River Hills, there is water in play on 13 or 14 holes.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 months later...

If you plan on playing a few rounds get the Prime Times card! It's $250 but with one card you can take a foursome at very reduced rates.  I had already booked some courses for the week we stayed but still bought the card and saved money. Wish I had known about it beforehand. For every round you or two you play you get a free round, plus they give you $50 or $100 shop credit. It would be an absolute steal for your family. Some of the courses are King's North, Long Bay, World Tour, TPC, Myrtlewood, and about 20 more.

Prime Times Tee Times - Myrtle Beach's #1 Golf Membership : Prime Times Tee Times (primetimescard.com)